Im Glad Casey Clausen Is (((GONE)))

taz2u

I Think Casey Clausen is not a QB. I'm Glad that his time with UT is Over Now we have 2 Real QBs. If he's so (((GREAT))) How come he was not picked up in the Draft. I for 1 was Glad 2 C That. The NFL dont need him either. :clap: Sorry it seems that I've upset some People with my Post. All I done was Post How I feel.

Taz2u, I've never really evaluated Casey's appearance before, but one thing I would like to point out is that Barney's cousin Virgil-looks aside, he DID date Brittany Jackson of the Lady Vols for some time which I would guess is quite an accomplishment - he must be doing something right. Also, unless you're The Artist Formerly Known As And Now Known Again As Prince U don't have 2 write like that, either.
I guess you would have preferred A.J. Suggs or Ratay starting for us the last few years instead of a guy who loved UT so much that he moved his whole family over 3000 miles, finished second in every major UT passing record to Peyton, and endured tons of abuse from people like you in the process, all to put on an orange jersey every Saturday. You don't know how good you had it when he was here - besides, that's ancient history - have any comments about this years team? Let me guess, you hate Randy Sanders, too - right?

:withstupid:

I'd love to see Casey make it in the NFL - he strikes me as a 'career backup' type guy, a job I'd definitely trade my current position for.

Originally posted by taz2u@Oct 14, 2004 1:10 PM
I Think Casey Clausen is not a QB & He tells every 1 that he Looks just like Val Kilmer What a Big Joke he looks more like Barneys Cousin Vergil on The Andy Griffith Show. I'm Glad that his time with UT is Over Now we have 2 Real QBs. If he's so (((GREAT))) How come he was not picked up in the Draft. I for 1 was Glad 2 C That. The NFL dont need him either. :clap:

I sorta agree Casey wasn't as aware of th defense's as a great QB

Welcome to the Board

:welcome:

Don't get me wrong, because I've written several posts where I stated that the Vols offense and lack of consistancy might have been due to Clausen' ability and his relationship with the other players. However, Clausen was a fine quarterback. He did have a large mouth when talking with reporters, but he worked hard as a quarterback. He was tough, sometimes playing with injuries. He finished his UT career as the school's 2nd all-time leading passer. He had a 34-10 record. The 34 wins is 2nd only to Peyton Manning (39-6). Clausen was also 14-1 on the road as a starter, best among ANY Vols quarterbacks in history. He had huge wins over Florida (something Manning did not do), Miami, and Michigan. Tennessee won or tied for the East Division in the SEC twice in Clausen's four seasons (2001 & 2003). However, if there is one legacy that Clausen will leave.... its that when it came down to a big bowl game or SEC Championship game.... he usually lost. Bowl game losses include Kansas State, Maryland, and Clemson. He did beat Michigan in 2001. Possibly the biggest loss of his career was the 2001 SECCG. Fresh off a win over # 2 Florida in the swamp, heavily favored Tennessee turned the ball over twice in the 4th quarter as LSU came from behind to beat the Vols and end the Vols run to the Rose Bowl (National Championship Game).

The interesting thing about Clausen is that he seems to have not improved during his tenure at UT. As good as he was as a freshman, that's only as good as he appeared to be as a senior? There is usually debate regarding this one and its a good questions.... is it due to the player or the coaching?
:dunno:

Considering that the Vols recent quarterbacks: Andy Kelly, Heath Shuler, Peyton Manning, Tee Martin and Casey Clausen all have professional aspirations... I think the coaching must be just fine. Andy Kelly is some kind of Arena football god.... Shuler and Martin both spent a few seasons in the NFL.... and Peyton Manning is the NFL MVP. Clausen got his shot with KC, completed 12-of-19 passes for 97 yards in limited preseason action with the Chiefs, and almost made the squad. He's rumored to be on the Titans practice squad?

taz2u- Once more here is living proof of shooting off mouth about which you obviously know nothing!

So, taz2u, how do you like Alabama?

Isn't there a whittling tree in your cousin/sister-in-law's front yard 4 U 2 leave messages on instead of wasting our space?

:welcome:

Actually Casey didn't make the practice squad. The chose to take as their third QB Doug Johnson

At least he is not listed on the practice squad on the Titans Website

Imagine the possibilities....
and I know what people think about 'ifs' ...
but still try to imagine people's perceptions of the Vols and Clausen, if...

2000 Two years removed from a perfect season and rebuilding with a freshman quarterback, the 21st ranked Vols upset 11th ranked Kansas State in the Cotton Bowl. Final Record for the season: 9-3 (actual record: 8-4)

2001 The rebuilding year is in the past. The Vols build momentum off a huge Cotton Bowl victory the previous season. Clausen and the 2nd ranked Vols dispatch 21st ranked LSU in the SEC Championship game on the way to meet No. 1 Miami in the Rose Bowl. Clausen leads the Vols to the upset victory and national championship. Final Record for the season: 13-1 (12-2 if lose to Miami)[actual record: 11-2]

2002 The Vols stumble through the start of the 2002 season with a 5-3 record. Consecutive wins in the last 3 weeks of the season and an impressive win over 20th ranked Maryland in the Peach Bowl somewhat helps redeem the Vols subpar season. Final Record for the season: 9-4 (actual record: 8-5)

2003 Clausen leads the Vols to a 10-2 regular season and share of the SEC's East Division. The 6th ranked Vols easily dispatch unranked Clemson in the Peach Bowl finish the season ranked in the top 5. Final Record for the season: 11-2 (actual record: 10-3)

Four-year 'if' record: 42-10... or 41-11 w/ loss to Miami in Rose Bowl
(actual record: 37-14)

Clausen's 'if' career record: 40-6 ... or 39-7 w/ loss to Miami in Rose Bowl
(actual record: 36-10)

the 40 victories would be an SEC record... the 39 wins would have tied Peyton Manning for first in SEC history.

Just like a game hangs in the balance on a few plays.... so too can a career hang in the balance based upon a few games.

DISCLAIMER: to anyone reading these stats, before you post, these are not real. also, reading "what-if" scenarios can be hazardous to your mental health. :blink:

I think Clausen was a good QB I just don't think he meshed well with his teammates and I couldn't see any improvement from his Fresman yr to his senior year-my :twocents:

Originally posted by taz2u@Oct 14, 2004 2:10 PM
I Think Casey Clausen is not a QB & He tells every 1 that he Looks just like Val Kilmer What a Big Joke he looks more like Barneys Cousin Vergil on The Andy Griffith Show.  I'm Glad that his time with UT is Over Now we have 2 Real QBs. If he's so (((GREAT))) How come he was not picked up in the Draft.  I for 1 was Glad 2 C That.  The NFL dont need him either.  :clap:

I have 1 comment on that ignorant call there Taz. No Name Calling Six :nono: .Casey might have not got us where we wanted to be but he gave the University of Tennessee some great wins.I for one think Casey was a class act.

O.k.,I made a harsh name call there,I apologize Taz.You have a right to say what you feel.Sorry.I still think Casey was a good qb for us.

allvol, you made the point that the '01 SECCG may have been Casey's biggest loss. You are probably right, but losing that game had little to do with Casey's play, IMO. The fact that we only had about 50 yards rushing and Matt Mauck came in and ran all over us had more to do with that loss than Casey's play. LSU controlled the los. We couldn't run on them very well, and their offesive play calling took Henderson and Haynesworth out of the game.

Just my :twocents:

Originally posted by Fadeproof@Oct 15, 2004 9:34 AM
I think Casey was great...Wish he would come back.(JK)

Let's make a deal - we'll bring back Clausen if you'll agree to bring back Ray Goff. :D

I think Casey's biggest problem was the offensive line just didn't play upto expectations in 2002 and 2003. Thank goodness they are back to form this year.

Without a dominating offensive line it's difficult to pass or run no matter how good you are.

Originally posted by Gatorhater@Oct 14, 2004 2:32 PM
Taz2u, I've never really evaluated Casey's appearance before, but one thing I would like to point out is that Barney's cousin Virgil-looks aside, he DID date Brittany Jackson of the Lady Vols for some time which I would guess is quite an accomplishment - he must be doing something right. Also, unless you're The Artist Formerly Known As And Now Known Again As Prince U don't have 2 write like that, either.
I guess you would have preferred A.J. Suggs or Ratay starting for us the last few years instead of a guy who loved UT so much that he moved his whole family over 3000 miles, finished second in every major UT passing record to Peyton, and endured tons of abuse from people like you in the process, all to put on an orange jersey every Saturday. You don't know how good you had it when he was here - besides, that's ancient history - have any comments about this years team? Let me guess, you hate Randy Sanders, too - right?

:withstupid:

I'd love to see Casey make it in the NFL - he strikes me as a 'career backup' type guy, a job I'd definitely trade my current position for.

:clap:

Originally posted by orangetd88@Oct 15, 2004 7:20 AM
allvol, you made the point that the '01 SECCG may have been Casey's biggest loss. You are probably right, but losing that game had little to do with Casey's play, IMO. The fact that we only had about 50 yards rushing and Matt Mauck came in and ran all over us had more to do with that loss than Casey's play. LSU controlled the los. We couldn't run on them very well, and their offesive play calling took Henderson and Haynesworth out of the game.

Just my :twocents:

The offsides and interference penalties on 3rd down plays that helped extend LSU drives did not help either.

For the record, Clausen was 27-of-43 for 332 yds and 2 tds. However, most of that was in the first half as the Vols built a 17-10 lead.

The games' MVP, Mauck, had 43 yds rushing on 12 carries (and 2 tds) as well as 67 passing yards on 5-of-15.

Travis Stephens was held to 37 yds on 14 carries and made the 4th quarter fumble that led to LSU's first lead.

The Vols only scoring drive of the 2nd half ended in a field goal. However, the Vols had 1st-and-goal from the 4yd line. Three straight Clausen incompletions led to the field goal. A touchdown would have tied the game.

Then with the Vols behind 24-20, Stallworth fumbled the ball that led to LSU's final score.

The Vols had 10 penalties for 78 yards in the game.

The Vols finished the game with 382 yds of total offense, but only 3 second half points. LSU finished with 285 yds of total offense, but capitalized on Vol turnovers and penalties to score 31 pts.

The loss avenged an early season loss for the Tigers. LSU rallied to pull within the final score, 26-18, earlier in the season.

Originally posted by allvol+Oct 15, 2004 3:06 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (allvol @ Oct 15, 2004 3:06 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-orangetd88@Oct 15, 2004 7:20 AM
allvol, you made the point that the &#39;01 SECCG may have been Casey&#39;s biggest loss.  You are probably right, but losing that game had little to do with Casey&#39;s play, IMO.  The fact that we only had about 50 yards rushing and Matt Mauck came in and ran all over us had more to do with that loss than Casey&#39;s play.  LSU controlled the los.  We couldn&#39;t run on them very well, and their offesive play calling took Henderson and Haynesworth out of the game.

Just my  :twocents:

The offsides and interference penalties on 3rd down plays that helped extend LSU drives did not help either.

For the record, Clausen was 27-of-43 for 332 yds and 2 tds. However, most of that was in the first half as the Vols built a 17-10 lead.

The games&#39; MVP, Mauck, had 43 yds rushing on 12 carries (and 2 tds) as well as 67 passing yards on 5-of-15.

Travis Stephens was held to 37 yds on 14 carries and made the 4th quarter fumble that led to LSU&#39;s first lead.

The Vols only scoring drive of the 2nd half ended in a field goal. However, the Vols had 1st-and-goal from the 4yd line. Three straight Clausen incompletions led to the field goal. A touchdown would have tied the game.

Then with the Vols behind 24-20, Stallworth fumbled the ball that led to LSU&#39;s final score.

The Vols had 10 penalties for 78 yards in the game.

The Vols finished the game with 382 yds of total offense, but only 3 second half points. LSU finished with 285 yds of total offense, but capitalized on Vol turnovers and penalties to score 31 pts.

The loss avenged an early season loss for the Tigers. LSU rallied to pull within the final score, 26-18, earlier in the season. [/quote]
Allvol are you sure that you&#39;re not that dude that won all the money on Jeopardy?

Originally posted by orangetd88@Oct 15, 2004 2:50 PM
Thanks for proving my point. :D

Although Clausen was not responsible for the miscues in the 4th quarter, I think he might have been directly responsible for the lack of offense in the 3rd quarter that allowed LSU to hang in the game. I don&#39;t have a copy of the drive charts, but I know the Vols went nowwhere on their first series of the 2nd half. After LSU cut the Vols lead to 17-13, Clausen did lead the Vols to the LSU 38yd line. However, a poor throw on 4th down ended the drive. The good field position help set up another LSU field goal to further cut the Vols lead to 17-16.

With 17 first half points, and LSU without their starting qb and rb, the Vols should have put some separation between themselves and LSU.

Clausen did throw 16 incomplete passes in the game.

here&#39;s a fairly extensive writeup on the game

I think Clausen was a good Q.B. the team just never really meshed together

Attachments

• ap2.jpg
    ap2.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 0
The one thing I liked about Casey was his heart. There was a lot af games were he played really banged up.

VN Store

Back