Impressions of Vols opponents this week

Other_Guy

foolishFool
1st week is always tricky, as teams aren't usually fully to where they need to be in their opener. Here is what I saw this weekend.

Bama's offense didn't look good at all. That offensive line is not that great and. Bama fans think they can overlook it. Still won't make a difference in our game.

Georgia played a good Clemson DL but their OL looked bad. Their defense wasn't too awful, but Georgia could be the team UT upsets if they have one.

Florida... I didn't get to watch alot of the 2nd half but from what I saw they couldn't run very well or defend the pass from what I saw. Could bode very well for UT. Brantley looked solid.

SCjr looked about what I expected from them.

1st week is always tricky, as teams aren't usually fully to where they need to be in their opener. Here is what I saw this weekend.

Bama's offense didn't look good at all. That offensive line is not that great and. Bama fans think they can overlook it. Still won't make a difference in our game.

Georgia played a good Clemson DL but their OL looked bad. Their defense wasn't too awful, but Georgia could be the team UT upsets if they have one.

Florida... I didn't get to watch alot of the 2nd half but from what I saw they couldn't run very well or defend the pass from what I saw. Could bode very well for UT. Brantley looked solid.

Bama looks very poised to win another NC. Their special teams is going to play very good football against us, much less the rest of their team.

Georgia lost to a #8 ranked, heisman candidate lead Clemson by 3 points at their house but we're going to upset them?

Florida looks about like they did last year, slow-ish start.

Didn't catch any of the SC game.

JMHO

Reactions: 1 person
There are a lot of variables from team to team. The winners will be the teams that stay healthy and improve the most from week to week. Most teams look sloppy week 1. It's how fast you learn and correct the mistakes that will tell the story.

Reactions: 3 people
Im with the op. UGa may be our best bet followed by SC then UF. ALL are unrealistic, but since we're prognosticating....

Is "Brantley" code for " Driskell", or does Florida have another Brantley?

I'm in the minority but I just feel there's too many reasons Bama will lose a game or two this year. They were a lot luckier than people think they were last year. They'll still beat us pretty handily but they'll slip up somewhere. (At home to LSU, maybe?)

Aaron Murray continues to be the most disappointingly good QB I've seen. He can never make a great play or beat a great team, and it's infuriating. If their schedule wasn't ridiculously easy this year I'd expect a 7 or 8 win season, but they'll get to 10-2 somehow.

Florida's defense is still great, but their offense still sucks. They won't get away with that two years in a row. Expecting 3-4 losses.

South Carolina will probably only be an underdog once this year and it's this upcoming Saturday. If they beat UGA again one of UT/Florida/Clemson (and we're the only one they have to play on the road) has to step up and stop an undefeated season from happening.

Im with the op. UGa may be our best bet followed by SC then UF. ALL are unrealistic, but since we're prognosticating....

UGA & Bama I think are no shots for us. I feel SC then Florida. UGA lost to the #8 team by 3 at their house.

I feel like we always play UGA pretty close. We'll have a shot at the upset, at least.

Florida had 262 yards rushing and averaged 5.5 YPC. They also had the ball for 40 minutes TOP and ran 70 plays. They DOMINATED that game and were never in a position to lose.

And that was with 9 players out, 6 of those players significant in the 2 deep, and playing ultra conservative.

Did no one learn from Bowling Green last year?

Florida had 262 yards rushing and averaged 5.5 YPC. They also had the ball for 40 minutes TOP and ran 70 plays. They DOMINATED that game and were never in a position to lose.

And that was with 9 players out, 6 of those players significant in the 2 deep, and playing ultra conservative.

This. (But before you think I'm on your side, Gator, know that as I type this I am wearing my WIVK "fishin' in the swamp" t-shirt)

I saw it differently.

South Carolina looked GREAT on offense with their defense a little unconditioned against a fast paced offense--sounds like it will be good for tennessee if we stay uptempo. but i still suspect them to get in better game shape as time goes on. to me, USC looked to be the most put together of the east.. it's actually comical to me that people name them as our biggest chance for upset. they have the coach, the talent on D and O to go to the SEC championship this year. and with spurrier being one of the few coaches in the game who can beat Saban, I would think they'd have the best chance at beating alabama. south carolina will eat up Georgia's slow-paced offense again this year I believe and Florida struggling honestly shouldn't give them as much trouble.

How can UT beat USC: Worley would need to improve his accuracy and keep the uptempo of the offense to tire out USC's defense. Corners would have to have the best game of their life and more pressure would need to be on their QBs. USC has got two solid QBs with a real threatening passing game. does not look good for us.

Georgia was very well-matched with Clemson--South Carolina beat both of these teams last year. you could see Georgia lacks some playmakers at WR but Gurley looked good--I mean he looked really good, he's a game changer. overall, I'd say they got worse from last year but Murray staying is huge because he leads well--I bet he wishes the OLine didn't repay him with so many sacks. they have some huge problems on the left side of their Oline OR clemson just has some great defensive ends.

How UT beats Georgia: I think we could the upset here if they don't continue to improve their offense (looked very run heavy and predictable) and we get our special teams together or if Butch can find a way to contain Gurley--he made his big plays mostly to the outside (****ty OLine) but had some good runs up the middle. like some other posters have said, their OLine really looked awful. Makes me feel better that UT doesn't have those issues with everyone healthy and they can give Worley all the time in the world to throw--even if his accuracy is nowhere near Bray's level of talent.

Florida didn't seem like they skipped a beat even with quite a few players out/lost to graduation. I hate to say it and its hard to know with them up against Toledo but they looked in a good position for the East this year-- the only team who looks like they will certainly beat them is South Carolina. Didn't catch ALL of the game but they looked fast--as always--and their defense looked nasty--as always.

How UT beats Florida: There are still some concerns on offense for them which is great for UT because their passing game doesn't look too great and we contained the run well last night. if you remember they got us last year with their QB taking off a fair amount. If we play smart, we can prevent that this year. real major concerns against them are again, giving up big plays...mostly because if they get away we don't have the speed to catch them. If UT plays with discipline and gets some of our corners back and healthy and on track with an improved special teams to get us in good field position, this could be a good game--better than people think.

Alabama looked a bit overrated to me. Granted, its early and it was the first game but they just didn't look as good on offense--apparently Vtech is sort of known to have a great D this year though. defense looked solid though and special teams looked real good, which is a game changer for sure.

How UT beats Bama: hard to say at this point. D would have to just be perfect getting that pressure on the QB.. Bama has an experience QB with leadership skills and some great talent at receiver. special teams would need some major improvement. I'd say we put North deep to return in the Bama game for speed and someone has got to teach special teams to tackle in both the open field and how to wrap up. I think we've got the ability to be decent against them offensively if we create mismatches and our WR corps step up. I think it's a real threat to have Lane and Neal rotating because they are both very talented and fresh legs every few plays makes our running game a real threat.

All I know about Oregon is that they beat the crap out of whoever they were playing.

WKU beat Kentucky with less talent but Bobby Petrino, as one poster said, is in a "league of his own" on playing up what he's got on the roster. So glad Butch did not give him very much film to study for our first team. I can't see them upsetting us with how disciplined the team looks this year but you've got to give credit to Petrino... he's a great coach and will probably capitalize on our walk-on corners and lack of speed/talent in the secondary. can also see him adjusting his special teams to get himself better field position because apparently our special teams has quite the issue tackling. I don't see WKU having the talent to stop our offense though even if it is young--we have got playmakers (in the making) in Pig and North and possibly some of the tight ends and even Young in the slot. Just because we haven't seen much of these guys doesn't mean they SUCK. I don't know if anyone in the country would have started over guys like Cordarelle Patterson and Da'Rick or even Justin Hunter. Butch and the WR coach seem to be encouraging the new guys to step up.

Missouri beat a cupcake. no news there. we will still own them. really shouldn't even be close this year. Missouri still has to recruit better but struggles because lack of in-state talent and I'm not confident they've got a good enough coach to win games they shouldn't win. still haven't had time to adjust their style of play to win in the SEC. barely had success in the big 12 some years.

Auburn beat Washington State but only by a touchdown. didn't catch this but I know they were losing at half and came back with a strong second half. I think they may be favored but if I had to guess, we'll upset them.

EDIT: I forgot about Vandy... just like all their fans forgot to show up to the Ole Miss game. I know it will probably be seen as an "upset" when we win but I just cannot see them coming to our house and winning. Ole Miss is young just like Tennessee and Vandy played a great game (threw up a little in my mouth typing that) but if they win in Neyland I think the General will roll over in his grave. it is way too early, I think, to predict this outcome based on potential strengths/weaknesses of both teams because we play them so much later in the season. although, I will say their offense looks fairly pass heavy which could be difficult for UT to shut down but again, a predictable offense and our corners getting more practice and some getting healthy by that time (best case scenario) Vandy won't give us any problems whatsoever.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
I'm in the minority but I just feel there's too many reasons Bama will lose a game or two this year. They were a lot luckier than people think they were last year. They'll still beat us pretty handily but they'll slip up somewhere. (At home to LSU, maybe?)
QUOTE]

EVERY, and I mean EVERY Championship team needs luck to win it all.. Arkansas 98'.
I'm a patriots fan - we aren't what we are today if not for the dumbest rule in football history. My point is Alabama was the best team in College last year, and they still are. They may lose a game ..but if they do lose it will be because someone else gets the breaks and bama doesn't have their B+ game (Like TAMU)

I think Florida fans were expecting their offense to look better this year. But it didn't. Not in the first game, anyway. There had to be a lot of alligators sighing and gnashing their teeth over the offensive performance on Saturday. "If we can't even score 28 points against Toledo..."

On the other hand, I have to agree with the Gator fan's post that the Florida defense imposed their will on Toledo. There was no Gator angst about who would win the game.

We will struggle to score on Florida. The game's in the swamp (the Great Dismal for UT fans). They're record against us in the last ten years is --okay, I won't go there. They've got two weeks to prepare. We're coming off Oregon.

I find it hard to be optimistic about that game.

Next week will be the real test. If we have our hands full with WKU, we can double, triple or quadruple that with Oregon, UF, UGA, UA and SCAR. Worley is going to have to develop at warp speed and our playmakers are going to need to become gamechangers. And we can't afford significant injuries-- our lack of depth could cost us games.

IMO, our best chance of an upset is in Neyland. Autzen and The Swamp are very tough places to play, especially for an inexperienced team early in the season.

I never said they were close to losing or was horrible at running, and I said I didn't see much of the 2nd half. I just wasn't impressed with their overall running. The passing was nice.

Aaron Murray continues to be the most disappointingly good QB I've seen. He can never make a great play or beat a great team, and it's infuriating. If their schedule wasn't ridiculously easy this year I'd expect a 7 or 8 win season, but they'll get to 10-2 somehow.

Florida's defense is still great, but their offense still sucks. They won't get away with that two years in a row. Expecting 3-4 losses.

South Carolina will probably only be an underdog once this year and it's this upcoming Saturday. If they beat UGA again one of UT/Florida/Clemson (and we're the only one they have to play on the road) has to step up and stop an undefeated season from happening.

Georgia has a ridiculously easy schedule??? What are you smoking?

UGA lost by 3 on the road ... that sounds better than it was. Clemson flat beat them in every phase.
It's a shame that by the time USC comes to Neyland, Clowney will probably be in shape. I thought Shaw looked good and expect them to beat UGA.
Floriduh is good. They are not top tier this year.
Vandy is still Vandy. All the whipped cream in the world on a cow pattie doesn't make it anything but a cow pattie.
'Bama is strong. PERIOD.
Auburn is beatable. I honestly think they are about where the Vols are.
Oregon is unbelievably fast (quick). It is going to take a 2 deep lineup to stay in the game.

EVERY, and I mean EVERY Championship team needs luck to win it all.. Arkansas 98'.
I'm a patriots fan - we aren't what we are today if not for the dumbest rule in football history. My point is Alabama was the best team in College last year, and they still are. They may lose a game ..but if they do lose it will be because someone else gets the breaks and bama doesn't have their B+ game (Like TAMU)
Have you been to Boston?

i remember something gary danielson said during a telecast and it stuck with me. the conversation was about "style points" and winning in style.

he said if there is such a thing as style points for offense, than there has to be style points for defense.

that florida defense is nasty and they are allowing an average of 8 points per game in their last 8 home games.

VN Store

Back