In defense of Nico

TennesseeRhett

What a weekend. I lost my voice by halftime, and years off my life with that overtime. Many across the country feel the same with the chaotic, close, exciting football played this weekend. Lots of overtime, lots of ranked teams squeaking by inferior opponents (UT, Penn State, Bama, Illinois etc).

I was watching the highlights from the Ole Miss - LSU game, which was an incredible game. Arguably the two most seasoned, most accurate quarterbacks in the conference went head to head with Dart and Nussmeyer. I’ve been impressed by their poise and accuracy all year.

Guys, both of them made numerous egregious mistakes. Bad interceptions, missed open receivers, throwing into triple coverage… and these are two of the best in the league coming into the season.

Nico made bad mistakes as well last night, and he absolutely needs to improve. What else would we expect from a freshman who has started 7 games? The talent is obviously there, and if it continues to develop as we hope it will he can become a legend. Yes, it would be cool if that were this year, but that’s just unfair and unrealistic to be expected from such a young kid in his first season at the helm. And as I said, older and more experienced qb’s were making similar mistakes tonight.

Everyone (with the possible exception of Texas) looks beatable this year. We’re 5-1 with a dub over the hated gators. We have a stud QB whom everyone wanted in the very early stages of his career, who just did something Peyton Manning never did. These are good days on Rocky Top, and you don’t have to look far back in the rear view mirror to see really, really bad days. Enjoy these good days, and don’t ruin them for yourself with pointless hand wringing.

TL/DR: we won, life is good, have fun with this 5-1 team, and give the kid a break.

Our best season thus far under Heupel was with a QB he didn't recruit, and didn't initially start.
His two choices, Milton and Nico, have both underperformed according to expectations.
Nico needs to grow up quickly, and Heupel needs to surround himself with someone who knows how to coach offense and manage a clock.
Otherwise, he'll find out pretty quickly just how nasty UT fans can be.

Nico is a freshman. He has started 7 games, I believe. I like his upside and it not Nico's fault that the Vol fanbase and the whole nation coined him the second coming of the greatest QB in all of the history of the sport. He has settled back down to earth, has a lot of growing up and learning to do. I am confident he will, as he is a super talented athlete and very mature.

If Nico cleans up his decision making he’s gonna be a great QB. Throwing the ball away and a little more awareness he’ll be good to go. I was a little hard on him in the game thread, but I still think he can be a great QB. Take care of the football kid, let the run game and defense do their thing. That’s our identity now.

Our best season thus far under Heupel was with a QB he didn't recruit, and didn't initially start.
His two choices, Milton and Nico, have both underperformed according to expectations.
Nico needs to grow up quickly, and Heupel needs to surround himself with someone who knows how to coach offense and manage a clock.
Otherwise, he'll find out pretty quickly just how nasty UT fans can be.
Based on talent and pass intangibles anyone can see why Milton would get the nod over Hooker.

His arm is out of this world and he out performed Hooker in practice.

I will agree he needs to work on his clock management. And I won’t judge his play calling until we see Nico improve. This is his offense and he has been involved with the play calling since he got here. We are running the same offense, it is just limited because of Nico’s trust and performance thus far.

Nico has improved and looked much better than previous weeks stretching the field and he looked great, yes great, when rolling out limiting his field and decision making requirements.

What a weekend. I lost my voice by halftime, and years off my life with that overtime. Many across the country feel the same with the chaotic, close, exciting football played this weekend. Lots of overtime, lots of ranked teams squeaking by inferior opponents (UT, Penn State, Bama, Illinois etc).

I was watching the highlights from the Ole Miss - LSU game, which was an incredible game. Arguably the two most seasoned, most accurate quarterbacks in the conference went head to head with Dart and Nussmeyer. I’ve been impressed by their poise and accuracy all year.

Guys, both of them made numerous egregious mistakes. Bad interceptions, missed open receivers, throwing into triple coverage… and these are two of the best in the league coming into the season.

Nico made bad mistakes as well last night, and he absolutely needs to improve. What else would we expect from a freshman who has started 7 games? The talent is obviously there, and if it continues to develop as we hope it will he can become a legend. Yes, it would be cool if that were this year, but that’s just unfair and unrealistic to be expected from such a young kid in his first season at the helm. And as I said, older and more experienced qb’s were making similar mistakes tonight.

Everyone (with the possible exception of Texas) looks beatable this year. We’re 5-1 with a dub over the hated gators. We have a stud QB whom everyone wanted in the very early stages of his career, who just did something Peyton Manning never did. These are good days on Rocky Top, and you don’t have to look far back in the rear view mirror to see really, really bad days. Enjoy these good days, and don’t ruin them for yourself with pointless hand wringing.

TL/DR: we won, life is good, have fun with this 5-1 team, and give the kid a break.
IMG_2714.jpeg

what would you do behind this line? It’s actually impressive we are even 5-1 with a line this and Nico is still healthy.

View attachment 686620

what would you do behind this line? It’s actually impressive we are even 5-1 with a line this and Nico is still healthy.
Davis needs to be starting. I know he’s whiffed a couple of times, but he’s performing much better than Heard and Campbell.

Half of Nico's struggles are on the OL. Dylan's also. Not knocking Dylan, he plays his heart out and often gets something out of nothing but he's capable of being the best RB in the country with a little blocking.

Last edited:
All I've really paid attention to with Heard was that Twitter post that made him look AWFUL. It makes me want to go back and rewatch the game just focusing on Heard to see what he does. Might do that later today.

I really hope something with Nico clicks. Those of you who have played sports know that sometimes all it takes is one good play to rewire your brain and suddenly everything makes sense. He just needs that to happen and he'll be golden.

Wins over NCst, and Oklahoma on the road and Florida at home!

Reactions: norrislakevol
View attachment 686620

Heard doesn’t even need to see the field at this point. Give him his check and let him go play at South Central Louisiana State University. That patti-cake, lazy crap last night was infuriating.

Reactions: 508mikey

VN Store

Back