In defense of Nico

I mentioned in another thread but if heard and Campbell would stop holding when Nico scrambles for a first then maybe he could get a chance to get in a rhythm and get the tempo going… he is not perfect but we are not helping him as a young Qb… but I make a great run that should be first and 10 turns in to 2nd and 3rd and long is very tough for a young Qb to overcome in the sec… he will get better.

Nico looks like a first year starter. I saw him start to attempt throws into tighter windows toward the end of the game. That was encouraging IMO.

Anyone throwing in the towel on Nico already is being ridiculous.
Not throwing in the towel on him. He’s going to be very good. If we are stagnant though, it can’t hurt to make a switch in game to get some points up or light a fire under Nico.

Our best season thus far under Heupel was with a QB he didn't recruit, and didn't initially start.
His two choices, Milton and Nico, have both underperformed according to expectations.
Nico needs to grow up quickly, and Heupel needs to surround himself with someone who knows how to coach offense and manage a clock.
Otherwise, he'll find out pretty quickly just how nasty UT fans can be.
Hooker wasn’t exactly on anybody’s radar and already had a couple of years under his belt by the time he got here. You have to credit CJH for getting it figured out with him.

Milton tricked two P5 programs by being a practice hero. He also got better as the season progressed last year. Also, Credit to CJH for getting him drafted into the NFL.

I was calling to have Nico benched after the first half last night because he just looked lost out there. Credit to him for getting better in the second but still has his issues related to inexperience and defenses starting to really figure out CJH’s offense.

Reactions: lostsheep
Not throwing in the towel on him. He’s going to be very good. If we are stagnant though, it can’t hurt to make a switch in game to get some points up or light a fire under Nico.

I think Coach lit the fire under the whole offense with the fourth down call.

He's a freshman, what people were expecting of him this year was too much. If you said it during the preseason you were a Nega, but it was true. It's still true.

I really hate all the hes a freshman and has only started 7 games line of thinking and excuses. It sounds worse every week. When do we stop? Oh its fine, hes just a junior and has only played 31 games.
You don’t have to like it. Sometimes the truth hurts. Would you rather trot out Gaston Moore? Or Merklinger? Asking seriously. I think Moore is a more than serviceable backup, kind of Worley/Crompton-esque. Merklinger is still developing at this point.

To all those calling to bench Nico, the simple question is: then what?

With our o-line issues, you may get your wish before the season is over.

You don’t have to like it. Sometimes the truth hurts. Would you rather trot out Gaston Moore? Or Merklinger? Asking seriously. I think Moore is a more than serviceable backup, kind of Worley/Crompton-esque. Merklinger is still developing at this point.

I mean clearly he shouldn't be benched but that's primarily because our backup is a walk-on with no experience. Plenty of 20 years old Sophomores (which is what he really is) perform great at QB. He's got talent. He's got it all, but if he wants to be a top draft pick he has to put it on film. If hes going to make 2M a year he needs to perform. Oline does suck, and that isn't helping. I think Nico will be fine, but unfortunately he might not be the generational or top draft pick we thought. I'm not seeing it. Kinda has the all the talent in the world, folds a bit under pressure look ala Joe Milton.

Reactions: VolRage
At this point I would start Satterwhite, Warren, or Anderson and see what happens at this point.
Pretty sure I saw Moi at guard in Sampson’s final score. I wonder if that’s something to try. Also, what’s up with Johnson, he had some good reps at OK but not much since.

I went to bed last night trying to think of great college QBs who struggled early on. Josh Dobbs, Hendon Hooker, Dak Prescott, Peyton Manning, and Jalen Milroe came to mind.

I’m sure the list is much longer I just can’t recall them all.
I think he’s rattled big time. He needs some confidence. He’s missing throws that he should be making in his sleep. I’m still hopeful he will get it figured out. It may not be this season… but he seems like a hard working guy who will learn from the mistakes

Reactions: bpalmer28
I really hate all the hes a freshman and has only started 7 games line of thinking and excuses. It sounds worse every week. When do we stop? Oh its fine, hes just a junior and has only played 31 games.
It's almost like you're trying to bridge a wide gap with an outrageous example

Our best season thus far under Heupel was with a QB he didn't recruit, and didn't initially start.
His two choices, Milton and Nico, have both underperformed according to expectations.
Nico needs to grow up quickly, and Heupel needs to surround himself with someone who knows how to coach offense and manage a clock.
Otherwise, he'll find out pretty quickly just how nasty UT fans can be.
Similar story at UCF. Heupel seems to do well with the previous coach's rosters, but his own? Remains to be seen. This is year 4. Pretty sure next year will be all Heupel built. Let's see what he does with his roster.

Not saying bench him. Let him sit out a series or two. Yes give Moore a chance. We had scored zero points in 5 straight quarters.

Reactions: Ttucke11
Nico looks like a first year starter. I saw him start to attempt throws into tighter windows toward the end of the game. That was encouraging IMO.

Anyone throwing in the towel on Nico already is being ridiculous.
He has got to stop trying to be a hero on every play and take what they give him. That comes with time.

Reactions: Ttucke11
What a weekend. I lost my voice by halftime, and years off my life with that overtime. Many across the country feel the same with the chaotic, close, exciting football played this weekend. Lots of overtime, lots of ranked teams squeaking by inferior opponents (UT, Penn State, Bama, Illinois etc).

I was watching the highlights from the Ole Miss - LSU game, which was an incredible game. Arguably the two most seasoned, most accurate quarterbacks in the conference went head to head with Dart and Nussmeyer. I’ve been impressed by their poise and accuracy all year.

Guys, both of them made numerous egregious mistakes. Bad interceptions, missed open receivers, throwing into triple coverage… and these are two of the best in the league coming into the season.

Nico made bad mistakes as well last night, and he absolutely needs to improve. What else would we expect from a freshman who has started 7 games? The talent is obviously there, and if it continues to develop as we hope it will he can become a legend. Yes, it would be cool if that were this year, but that’s just unfair and unrealistic to be expected from such a young kid in his first season at the helm. And as I said, older and more experienced qb’s were making similar mistakes tonight.

Everyone (with the possible exception of Texas) looks beatable this year. We’re 5-1 with a dub over the hated gators. We have a stud QB whom everyone wanted in the very early stages of his career, who just did something Peyton Manning never did. These are good days on Rocky Top, and you don’t have to look far back in the rear view mirror to see really, really bad days. Enjoy these good days, and don’t ruin them for yourself with pointless hand wringing.

TL/DR: we won, life is good, have fun with this 5-1 team, and give the kid a break.
tOSU QB slid down at midfield as the clock ran out, don't believe he is a freshmen. Nico settled down in the second half. Let's hope he builds on that and improves every week here on out. Playing QB in the SEC is tough.

Nico is a freshman. He has started 7 games, I believe. I like his upside and it not Nico's fault that the Vol fanbase and the whole nation coined him the second coming of the greatest QB in all of the history of the sport. He has settled back down to earth, has a lot of growing up and learning to do. I am confident he will, as he is a super talented athlete and very mature.
Lagway has less experience than Nico and looked better.

Giving up on a kid this young in the program is just silly. He is going to make some boneheaded mistakes, misreads, and poor execution. He has to be allowed to grow. I'm not making excuses for him because his play has been below average the past few weeks, but I hold out faith that he will grow and develop. I am more disgusted with the play-calling and planning this coaching staff is/is not doing. It's like they are clueless and plan for something totally different than they are seeing come gametime.

What a weekend. I lost my voice by halftime, and years off my life with that overtime. Many across the country feel the same with the chaotic, close, exciting football played this weekend. Lots of overtime, lots of ranked teams squeaking by inferior opponents (UT, Penn State, Bama, Illinois etc).

I was watching the highlights from the Ole Miss - LSU game, which was an incredible game. Arguably the two most seasoned, most accurate quarterbacks in the conference went head to head with Dart and Nussmeyer. I’ve been impressed by their poise and accuracy all year.

Guys, both of them made numerous egregious mistakes. Bad interceptions, missed open receivers, throwing into triple coverage… and these are two of the best in the league coming into the season.

Nico made bad mistakes as well last night, and he absolutely needs to improve. What else would we expect from a freshman who has started 7 games? The talent is obviously there, and if it continues to develop as we hope it will he can become a legend. Yes, it would be cool if that were this year, but that’s just unfair and unrealistic to be expected from such a young kid in his first season at the helm. And as I said, older and more experienced qb’s were making similar mistakes tonight.

Everyone (with the possible exception of Texas) looks beatable this year. We’re 5-1 with a dub over the hated gators. We have a stud QB whom everyone wanted in the very early stages of his career, who just did something Peyton Manning never did. These are good days on Rocky Top, and you don’t have to look far back in the rear view mirror to see really, really bad days. Enjoy these good days, and don’t ruin them for yourself with pointless hand wringing.

TL/DR: we won, life is good, have fun with this 5-1 team, and give the kid a break.
Seems like he's right on track IMG_20241013_115614893.jpg

VN Store

Back