In-Helmet Communication vs. UTC

SoFloVFL

Since FCS schools will not be using in-helmet communications, will we still be allowed to use it while playing UTC? I don't think we really need it for this game, but I think having Heup in Nico's ear pre-snap telling him what to look for will make Nico's decision-making look even more impressive than it otherwise may be.

Yes

For the coming season, FCS programs who play against FBS programs will be allowed to use in-helmet communication for that contest(s), if they elect to do so.

In 2025, FCS is projected to be eligible to implement in-helmet communication devices throughout the division.

Last edited:
Since FCS schools will not be using in-helmet communications, will we still be allowed to use it while playing UTC? I don't think we really need it for this game, but I think having Heup in Nico's ear pre-snap telling him what to look for will make Nico's decision-making look even more impressive than it otherwise may be.
I think the UTC coach said they won't be using them. Sound like coach decision. Heup was lukewarm about it, but said they will experiment with it a bit.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I think the UTC coach said they won't be using them. Sound like coach decision. Heup was lukewarm about it, but said they will experiment with it a bit.
I heard the UTC coach say they weren't going to use them. Thats what made me question whether we were going to be able to use them or not.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
I heard the UTC coach say they weren't going to use them. Thats what made me question whether we were going to be able to use them or not.
I think if one team CAN'T use a technology, both teams are required to forego it.

But if that technology is available to both and one CHOOSES not to use it, there are no limitations on the other team doing so.

I think.

They CAN use them but for this game only so they would have to invest the money for the whole set up for this one game...where they have no chance. So probably a wise financial decision

Is it possible to use a scanner and listen the communications. if possible opposing team will know all plays and changes.

I think if one team CAN'T use a technology, both teams are required to forego it.

But if that technology is available to both and one CHOOSES not to use it, there are no limitations on the other team doing so.

I think.
You think too much. Put it out there with confidence and like it’s gospel. If you’re wrong, this board is sure to let you know. 😀

From my understanding they’ll be switched off at some point during the play, basically to call play in then switched off so no hopes of “watch Mike” during cadence

From my understanding they’ll be switched off at some point during the play, basically to call play in then switched off so no hopes of “watch Mike” during cadence
Switched off when the play clock hits 15 seconds or the snap of the ball, whichever comes first.

Is it possible to use a scanner and listen the communications. if possible opposing team will know all plays and changes.
Maybe, but it wouldnt help to the degree you are thinking, not every team uses the same lingo in play calling.

They are supposed to turn off when the play clock reaches 15 seconds or when the ball is snapped, which ever is first

Sorry. Just saw an earlier post with same info

Honestly I think it would be slightly harder for us to use given we never huddle up anyway. It's easier for everyone to just look at the sidelines. Now it could be good for pre-snap adjustments like picking up a blitz or something, but outside of that I still think we could see Alvin and the chipmunks

VN Store

Back