Irrational Rick Barnes takes (merged)

SEC was mediocre back then. Look at SEC today with 5-6 teams ranked in top 25 all season. Beating Blue Bloods from other leagues. You didn't see that in the 1970s outside of Kentucky.

Your post about NCAAT is insane. There is more parity in the sport today than ever before. I may concede the first game most of the times (like Saint Peters) but I would argue Creighton and Texas were far better than VMI and on par with Dayton, etc. We have played great teams in both Tournament and Regular season with Barnes and Pearl as well.
SEC basketball in the 1970's was, as a friend of mine is fond of saying, the decade when you had to be a grown man to compete.
My Gawd, think about the men from that decade,

Vols - King, Grunfeld, Reggie Johnson, Kosmalski
Ky - Robey, Phillips, Grevey, Givens
Bama - Douglas, Dunn, Cleveland, Brown
LSU - Maravich, Macklin, Scales

There are a few more from various teams, but it was a man's game back then.
Those guys would knock these one & done kids on their collective ass if they played now.

Reactions: brockytop
Yeah, Dayton and VMI are world beaters.

Barnes and Pearl have beaten blue bloods like Duke, Kansas, North Carolina, etc. I would argue the sport has more parity than ever in the Barnes era. You have teams like Florida Atlantic, Loyola, etc. making runs while the SEC has multiple teams ranked in the top 25 regularly with top 10 recruiting classes. SEC wasn't near that strong in the Mears era outside of Kentucky.
SEC was better then. College basketball was better.

If we lose this, it validates the exact reason Texas moved on from Barnes

I hope he realizes that
Just catching up on this thread, but come on Texas thought the grass was going to be greener on the other side. Not so much.
Is your avatar a picture of a skate? On my phone so the picture is small.

I'll just leave this here courtesy of @YankeeVol

The Volunteers are 9-5 in the NCAA Tournament under Rick Barnes, who owns the most such wins by a UT head coach.
• UT is 28-26 all-time in 26 NCAA Tournament trips, including 0-2 in fourth games, 0-1 in the Elite Eight, 8-3 as a No. 2 seed, 0-5 against No. 1 seeds and 1-0 in Michigan.
• Tennessee is in the Elite Eight for the second time (2010) and is seeking its first Final Four berth.
• The Volunteers are 15-4 in their last 19 games versus AP top-15 teams, dating back to 12/22/21.
• Of the 17 non-Vols who made an All-America team from at least one of the four primary outlets, UT has faced 10 of them. Zach Edey will be the third it plays twice, joining Kentucky's Antonio Reeves and Alabama's Mark Sears.
• Tennessee won the SEC regular season crown for the 11th time, notching its sixth outright title.
• UT has 27 victories for the third time in the last six years (2018- 24) under Rick Barnes; it hit that tally twice before his 2015 arrival. UT has 170 wins in the last seven seasons (2017-24), co-eighth in DI, including fifth among teams at the Power Six level that full time.

Purdue was a tough opponent and we played them tough. Yeah Alabama made it with a weaker bracket. I wish we had the UNC bracket but whatever. I think people are only mad because Bama made a FF.

VN Store

Back