Is Bates A Gateway To Other Florida Recruits?

Don't try to look any smarter than you actually are. Bates grew up in Florida, and we all know what schools get first pick of HS talent in that state. Also, he was being courted by any and every school in the galaxy. On top of that, the team that has won the past 2 titles and looks to win a 3rd this year has also offered. You may not think this is a big deal, but I assure you it was. If Dooley were still here you can count Hurd, Kelly, and Bates out; to say Bates was a gimmie is just plain STUPID.

You are so right. If Dooley was here no way we get a lot of these kids to play at UT. Just think we beat out Alabama and Florida for Bates. :hi:

Bates is a legacy. Both parents are UT grads. Don't make this into any more than it really is.

this is true. these legacy recruits were going to be Vols and it was all a matter of when they wished to make it public. Bates has been good for many weeks... won't open any doors to others without hard work on the part of the staff who have already shown, they will work hard

this is true. these legacy recruits were going to be Vols and it was all a matter of when they wished to make it public. Bates has been good for many weeks... won't open any doors to others without hard work on the part of the staff who have already shown, they will work hard

i do think another poster had it correct.

we will never know, but i suspect some of these legacies would have passed on playing for derek dooley.

it would have broke their heart, but they would have made a business decision so to speak. the hiring of butch jones eliminated any trepidation they may have had.

we will never know, but i suspect some of these legacies would have passed on playing for derek dooley.

it would have broke their heart, but they would have made a business decision so to speak. the hiring of butch jones eliminated any trepidation they may have had.

Gator fan making more sense than some fellow Vol fans...reminds me, gotta stock the bunker
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person
No.

But that doesn't matter.

For UT to get back to the top, it's going to have to be Georgia & the Carolinas, like it was in the 1990's, to get elite players.

Reactions: 5 people

that is true, some would have passed on Dooley. But UT was where they wanted / want to be

Good post with the exception of "we will never know...." Actually, Wharton said he wasn't coming to UT and Dooley, Todd Kelly Sr said in an interview on a Nashville radio station that Jr would not have played for Dools, and Bill Bates said on TSR that he would not have allowed Dillon to even consider UT if Dools was still the HC. Hurds not a legacy but our highest rated player- said he didn't even have a relationship with Dooley and the staff.... Thank God CBJs here which allowed these kids to play for the school they really wanted to rather than just make a cold business decision.

Reactions: 3 people
Good post with the exception of "we will never know...." Actually, Wharton said he wasn't coming to UT and Dooley, Todd Kelly Sr said in an interview on a Nashville radio station that Jr would not have played for Dools, and Bill Bates said on TSR that he would not have allowed Dillon to even consider UT if Dools was still the HC. Hurds not a legacy but our highest rated player- said he didn't even have a relationship with Dooley and the staff.... Thank God CBJs here which allowed these kids to play for the school they really wanted to rather than just make a cold business decision.

If that's the case, then...wow.

Figured some of them were Tennessee no matter what

Jones and company appear to be recruiting well in Florida regardless.

Some top notch recruits will grow up fans of an instate school in every state. They only go elsewhere if that program is having problems or has a coach they dislike. This fact gives an advantage to FSU, UGA, UF, LSU, Tex, USC, et al.

After this group, there are fans of those schools that aren't offered by their preferred school and have a strong dislike of the other schools. They will have priorities that guide them to either a USF, UCF, FIU type of school or else out of state. Since no coach is a perfect evaluator of talent, there are some good players in this group but the vast majority are not as good as those chosen by that coach.

There are other kids who either dislike all of the instate schools and still want to play big time football or else just want to leave home for college. They're true national recruits and are often very good players who won't stay instate regardless. Usually a smaller group than the first but still the "best" group to recruit.

Then obviously, there are others that have some other tie to an out of state program or grew up fans of an out of state program.

It would be accurate to say that the instate schools will usually get the picks of the litter. It would be inaccurate to say they do not miss on some of the best players.

The best solution.... is for Tennessee HSFB and below to continue to improve and for UT's HC to dedicate time to develloping relationships and building program image across the state and within a radius around K'ville that includes western NC, VA, upstate SC, and ATL.

Dooley once mentioned cheap airfare from central Florida to K'ville too. Hopefully Jones can use that to diminish the "out of state" factor.

No.

But that doesn't matter.

For UT to get back to the top, it's going to have to be Georgia & the Carolinas, like it was in the 1990's, to get elite players.

Would be great, but Georgia and the Carolinas now have coaches who are better coaches and recruiters than they had in the 1990's. It will take a couple of years for Butch to again the cream of the crop from those States.

You mad bro?

Not mad at all, bro.

You are so right. If Dooley was here no way we get a lot of these kids to play at UT. Just think we beat out Alabama and Florida for Bates. :hi:

Thank you :hi:.

this is true. these legacy recruits were going to be Vols and it was all a matter of when they wished to make it public.

This is completely false.

Funny, you get it and some of "ours" don't. I've met a lot of these recruits over the past few years and am friends with plenty of guys on the team. Our class wouldn't rival Vandy's if Dooley was still here. Sure the legacies are going to be UT leans, but nothing is guaranteed in this game.. to say it is is just naive.

Last edited:

The intelligence in this post is strong. The other posts.. not so much.

No!!!! The main reason we got him was due to him being a legacy player.

Florida recruiting will still have F.S.U., Miami, & Florida getting the players they want. Then the players that they can't fit on their roster or ones that they don't want, will end up at Florida Atlantic or Central Florida.

The recruits that live in northern Florida, that everyone else passed on, will likely end up at Auburn or Georgia. Then we will have our choice at the "left over" players that are really good but F.S.U., Miami, Florida, Florida Atlantic, Central Florida, Auburn or Georgia didn't get.

There are plenty of athletes that for one reason or another want to get out of FL. We need to be their enabler.

fellas lets get some perspective....theres an entire year that has to be played out before he puts pen to paper...now this might not be the case for bates but these are young kids that can change there mind 20 times before NSD...its awesome how great we are doing on the recruiting boards right now but its amazing seeing how early some of these guys commit to schools. is it possible that we have a awful season and he backs out of his commit?
sorry off topic a bit but living in south florida and being involved in the community its amazing seeing all the talent down here that gets by the BIG 3 that could play big level football...SPEED is in florida

Florida recruiting will still have F.S.U., Miami, & Florida getting the players they want. Then the players that they can't fit on their roster or ones that they don't want, will end up at Florida Atlantic or Central Florida.

The recruits that live in northern Florida, that everyone else passed on, will likely end up at Auburn or Georgia. Then we will have our choice at the "left over" players that are really good but F.S.U., Miami, Florida, Florida Atlantic, Central Florida, Auburn or Georgia didn't get.

What about USF, dont they get any?:unsure:

No fan base negative recruits itself better than the Legion of the Miserable. That's the one recruiting truth I've come to accept.

I'm certain the Berry Twins are just holding out for no other reason than to make a big splash at the end. We all know they would never come here if Dooley were here, so no and ifs about it they are committing between now and NSD. No matter how the season goes. Book it!!!

I'm glad this perfect storm of legacy and solid in-state talent is coming up, but reading more into it than it is is just foolish.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I agree. UF and FSU get first dibs, followed by Miami. Auburn will soon turn it on down there like they always do, and Georgia as well. Don't forget the wild cards, UCF and USF.
We need to wrap up our own state (middle and west) before worrying about Florida.

VN Store

Back