Is It Really About Talent?

Can we line up all the dumb thread starters and just kick them all in the nuts so they can't procreate? Thanks.

Reactions: 1 person
People appear willing to blame the humiliation of the Oregon game on a talent gap, but the recruiting history suggests its far more about coaching and a unique system than about recruiting.

Rivals Recruiting Rankings

2010-2013 4-Year Average
Tennessee: 12th
Oregon: 13th

Tennessee 9th
Oregon 13th

Tennessee 17th
Oregon 16th

Tennessee 13th
Oregon 9th

2010 Tennessee 9th
Oregon 13th

You do not have a clue.

VegasVol loves to twist numbers. How about we factor in talent retention?

How about we do. Oregon's starting QB is a 3* recruit whose only other offer was Memphis. Practically, their entire defense is made up of 3* recruits. Bottom line is their coaches do a superior job of evaluation, and, most importantly, scheming, badly out-coaching us today.

Reactions: 3 people
Go back and look at these recruiting classes and tell us who is gone. . .then do the same with Oregon.

Oregon has had substantial attrition as well. From a recruiting perspective, we had more highly ranked players on the field today than Oregon.

Reactions: 1 person
They are a better program right now. They could have several years of subpar recuiting and still beat us. Winning is a culture and mentality that takes time to develop and pass from upper class men to the new guys. There are ZERO people on our team that have been apart of a good, winning, Fulmer coached UT. In essence we're starting from scratch.

A couple of posters have mentioned this but no-one has made it their main point. I'm gonna boil it down for you in one word so get ready. . .

RETENTION

There you go. Not only do recruiting rankings not mean **** when you take a track team and are able to teach them to play football (oregon) but an unprecedented number of the players that made up those rankings for Tennessee never contributed to the on-field performance. It is going to take three years of top ten to fifteen recruiting into our system before we can play a whole game with oregon. As much as I hate to say it that team is the nastiest offense I've ever seen play the game. THEY are the reason football is changing before our very eyes.

They are a better program right now. They could have several years of subpar recuiting and still beat us. Winning is a culture and mentality that takes time to develop and pass from upper class men to the new guys. There are ZERO people on our team that have been apart of a good, winning, Fulmer coached UT. In essence we're starting from scratch.

I don't agree that it was mentality that beat us. We came out hard on defense, scored the first points an forced mistakes. They then preceded to spank our asses up an down the field so bad I just wanted my players out of there.

It has more to do with geographic location of recruiting as well as what specific traits/positions they are looking for. Two schools can be next to each other in the recruiting rankings and end up with two completely different sets of talent. Oregon obviously recruited speed from the west coast while we recruited brawn from the southeast.

It's easier to teach someone to catch a ball better than it is to get them to shave a half second off a 40. Something it appears Oregon knows when recruiting their players.

At the time our uber QB, Mariota, committed to Oregon, he was a two star recruit!
(He was eventually upgraded, but still!)
In the last few years, Oregon has excelled at finding those players that are under rated by the national recruiting services, thus while our "official" recruiting rankings are usually in the 15-25 range, we are getting better talent than our ranking would otherwise indicate.
(Another example was LaMichael James, who was a 3 star recruit, wound up winning the Doak Walker award and breaking every Oregon rushing record there is.)

My guess as to why we are so successful at finding these hidden gems is the continuity of our coaches. Our running back coach is on his 31st season, over half of our coaches have over 20 years at Oregon, thats a lot of time to build up relationships with high schools all over!

At the time our uber QB, Mariota, committed to Oregon, he was a two star recruit!
(He was eventually upgraded, but still!)
In the last few years, Oregon has excelled at finding those players that are under rated by the national recruiting services, thus while our "official" recruiting rankings are usually in the 15-25 range, we are getting better talent than our ranking would otherwise indicate.
(Another example was LaMichael James, who was a 3 star recruit, wound up winning the Doak Walker award and breaking every Oregon rushing record there is.)

My guess as to why we are so successful at finding these hidden gems is the continuity of our coaches. Our running back coach is on his 31st season, over half of our coaches have over 20 years at Oregon, thats a lot of time to build up relationships with high schools all over!

the continuity has a lot to do with it,the last time we had it,the system worked pretty damn well

People appear willing to blame the humiliation of the Oregon game on a talent gap, but the recruiting history suggests its far more about coaching and a unique system than about recruiting.

2010-2013 4-Year Average

Tennessee 9th
Oregon 13th

Tennessee 17th
Oregon 16th

Tennessee 13th
Oregon 9th

2010 Tennessee 9th
Oregon 13th

Yes, it is about talent.
It's also about speed, speed, and more speed.

It's the talent and system.

Oregon has players that are perfectly suited for the system they've been running for a decade.

We've had 4 different systems In the past 5 years with tons of attrition and poor recruiting.

This sums it up very well. I think you could add player development to the mix also. it will take a few years of consistency to get back to the top.:peace2:

Yes it is. It was on display all game. We just don't have the horses.. Dline is disappointing. Oline isn't as good as it's been talked up to be.. We have a QB that can hand the ball off and not much more.. So yes, it is talent.. Going to give a young secondary a pass right now, but they got torched yesterday..

2010-2013 4-Year Average

Tennessee 9th
Oregon 13th

Tennessee 17th
Oregon 16th

Tennessee 13th
Oregon 9th

2010 Tennessee 9th
Oregon 13th

803616.gif

That's why recruiting isn't a exact science, also why i pay more attention to who else is recruiting a guy than how many stars are attached to his name..

Our Qtb (leader) of the team looks,acts and performs like a high school Qtb. I am sure he's a fine young man but he is lacking arm strength and accuracy. If you don't see that your as blind as a bat. I see a lot teams with freshman and sophomore Qtbs that have it and perform. Take charge of team and lead as a Qtb is supposed to do. I hope changes are made this week..

Successful programs not only get talent, but they get players that fit their system. CBJ has a system, but he doesn't have the players to fit it.

That's why recruiting isn't a exact science, also why i pay more attention to who else is recruiting a guy than how many stars are attached to his name..

Don't the offers from schools figure into how the star rating is calculated?

VN Store

Back