Is there a "co championship" banner

I also have no problem with it, so long as it is not the Vols. We shouldn't commemorate moral victories and hang said commemorations in Neyland with banners of real victories. What's next? SEC East's Most Improved Team banners?

Hey now, there are some on this board hoping UT gets that honor this year.

Reactions: 3 people
Placing 1st in the SEC East is not a championship. If you start handing out trophies and banners for that, you might as well just shut the program down.

You can't win the SEC title withouth winning the Division title. I'd say no ring or banner but it's something to put in the recruiting material. It means you beat out Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina.

Two of Majors' SEC titles were co-championships. Several of Bama's SEC championships were co-championships.

UT claims a championship from a 9-2 season because the championships were handed out before the bowl games until the late 60s. They ended the regular season 9-1 and their only loss was in the first game of the year to a UCLA team that lost two games including to USC on the last week of the season. That's they way they did it back then. If you profess to be a UT fan and you are ashamed of that, you are just a whiner.

Reactions: 1 person
I also have no problem with it, so long as it is not the Vols. We shouldn't commemorate moral victories and hang said commemorations in Neyland with banners of real victories. What's next? SEC East's Most Improved Team banners?

There are banners for all of our division championships (including those years where other teams represented the east in the SECC) up in the football complex because they represent Championships awarded by the SEC.

Reactions: 1 person
I will say, I sure hope we win the SEC Eastern Division again soon. I did enjoy going to Atlanta every three years.

In SEC football there are 2 divisions, East & West. The winner of each division plays for the SEC title in Atlanta.

Some years there is a divisional tie such as 2003 when UT, UGA, and UF were tied at the top with 6-2 conference records. UGA was chosen as the SEC participant instead of UT or UF. Technically, all 3 were co-champions of the East.

Ole Miss and LSU were tied in the SEC West with 7-1 records. LSU was the West representative because they beat LSU head to head. It looks like Ole Miss decided to hang a banner anyway.

When your school does not win many SEC games over the last 50 years, I guess being tied for the SEC West is a big thing.

UT claims a championship from a 9-2 season because the championships were handed out before the bowl games until the late 60s. They ended the regular season 9-1 and their only loss was in the first game of the year to a UCLA team that lost two games including to USC on the last week of the season. That's they way they did it back then. If you profess to be a UT fan and you are ashamed of that, you are just a whiner.

You should be ashamed of it because every single selector, pre or post-bowl, selected USC except for the Litkenhous Mathematical System.

You should be ashamed of it because every single selector, pre or post-bowl, selected USC except for the Litkenhous Mathematical System.

So should Alabama be ashamed of some of theirs that were awarded under similar circumstances?
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Clemson thinks it's okay...they're claiming the 2012 ACC Atlantic Division Title, even though they lost head-to-head against eventual ACC champ Florida State.

2wefbfb.jpg

Hey now, there are some on this board hoping UT gets that honor this year.

And I count myself among such fans. Just don't display it in the stadium. I'm not for doing away with awards for divisional titles (shared or no) or for most improved (jk), but the place to display such awards is not in the stadium unless that is all you have to boast.

VN Store

Back