Is this the Worse CFB Coach ever?

Pretty much. The other huge issue with Dooley is he was the worst recruiter in the past couple of decades.

He was definitely the worse recruiter of our three craptastic coaches.

Then again, how good would Pruitt have been without paying the players?

wasn't it Dooley who lost to Kentucky playing a WR at QB in his first college start?

IIRC that was also our first loss to Kentucky in 20 something years.
Yes, in 2011. Was the first loss to UK since 1984. Tyler Bray has said various times that various players, including himself, didn't want to play in a bowl game so they didn't care about this game. It honestly sounds like they borderline threw the game.

Yes, in 2011. Was the first loss to UK since 1984. Tyler Bray has said various times that various players, including himself, didn't want to play in a bowl game so they didn't care about this game. It honestly sounds like they borderline threw the game.

I think teams throwing games happens a lot more in Football than we want to admit and not just at Tennessee. You can look at many of these head scratching losses around programs and that is probably what is going on.

I think teams throwing games happens a lot more in Football than we want to admit and not just at Tennessee. You can look at many of these head scratching losses around programs and that is probably what is going on.
Yep - have thought that for a long time.

Shenanigans with gambling are way more likely to happen in college than pro. Honestly, I think NIL probably reduces the potential for throwing games and making gambling legal has probably made it more likely to uncover throwing games.

He was definitely the worse recruiter of our three craptastic coaches.

Then again, how good would Pruitt have been without paying the players?
Thing is...Pruitt wasn't even a special recruiter even with the blatant paying of players. He wasn't any better than Heupel. I still think Dooley was the worst coach in UT history, but you can make an argument that it was Pruitt given the cheating/probation, and officially he went only 5-19 here (not 16-19).

2018 - 21st
2019 - 13th
2020 - 11th

2021 - 22nd
2022 - 17th
2023 - 10th
2024 - 14th

Reactions: volbound1700
Thing is...Pruitt wasn't even a special recruiter even with the blatant paying of players. He wasn't any better than Heupel. I still think Dooley was the worst coach in UT history, but you can make an argument that it was Pruitt given the cheating/probation, and officially he went only 5-19 here (not 16-19).

2018 - 21st
2019 - 13th
2020 - 11th

2021 - 22nd
2022 - 17th
2023 - 10th
2024 - 14th

Heupel doesn't even deserve to be compared to the craptastic 3 lol...

However, I will say that perhaps the biggest positive with Heupel is that the fanbase is finally united behind a coach which has made our home environment difficult, our program cache very high, and gives us a positive edge.

Jones had that kind of going in 2015 and early 2016 but we really didn't see that over the last 20 years or so (even the late Fulmer era was a very divided fanbase era).

Reactions: LouderVol
Heupel doesn't even deserve to be compared to the craptastic 3 lol...

However, I will say that perhaps the biggest positive with Heupel is that the fanbase is finally united behind a coach which has made our home environment difficult, our program cache very high, and gives us a positive edge.

Jones had that kind of going in 2015 and early 2016 but we really didn't see that over the last 20 years or so (even the late Fulmer era was a very divided fanbase era).
Not comparing the two in terms of overall head coaching ability - just saying that Pruitt wasn't any better than Heupel, even though he was cheating his ass off, and even though there are some folks who come around from time to time and say Heupel can't recruit.

Reactions: volbound1700
wasn't it Dooley who lost to Kentucky playing a WR at QB in his first college start?

IIRC that was also our first loss to Kentucky in 20 something years.
Matt Roark, HS QB that played WR for UK. Was like 4-6 for 15 yards passing.

Kept Tennessee from going bowling

Reactions: McCat
Matt Roark, HS QB that played WR for UK. Was like 4-6 for 15 yards passing.

Kept Tennessee from going bowling
We had no idea how to defend him or their offense.

which is par for the course with Dooley.

pretty sure they had a crappy season too, not like it was one of Stoops 9-3 teams that is a decent opponent.

We had no idea how to defend him or their offense.

which is par for the course with Dooley.

pretty sure they had a crappy season too, not like it was one of Stoops 9-3 teams that is a decent opponent.
Not excusing it by any means, but Joker kept him starting a total secret. And it was Randy Sanders who developed his game plan I believe

Not excusing it by any means, but Joker kept him starting a total secret. And it was Randy Sanders who developed his game plan I believe
they ran like three plays. I remember sitting there and diagnosing the plays myself before half time. and I am not even that good of a coach on a video game. there is no reason real professionals couldn't have figured something out at least after the half.

they ran like three plays. I remember sitting there and diagnosing the plays myself before half time. and I am not even that good of a coach on a video game. there is no reason real professionals couldn't have figured something out at least after the half.
...and the issue that game wasn't stopping UK's offense. They scored 10 points. Roark might have run for 124 yards but they punted the ball 9 times and had another turnover on downs.

The issue in that game was our first and only scoring drive was in the fourth quarter. Bray only threw for 215 with a couple of picks, and we couldn't run the ball at all.

Historically Pig and UT aren't so far apart. They were about as good as we were in the late 90's.

No they weren't.

We could end our football program and Arky won't catch us in total wins (at their historic winning %) until the 2040s....

Ark won 33 games fron 95-99 and never double digits.

We won 54 games in same timeframe and our worst season (99) was still as good/better than their best one

No they weren't.

We could end our football program and Arky won't catch us in total wins (at their historic winning %) until the 2040s....

Ark won 33 games fron 95-99 and never double digits.

We won 54 games in same timeframe and our worst season (99) was still as good/better than their best one
We needed to be lucky to beat them in 98 and they beat us in 99. That's them being about as good as us in the late 90's.
They've had their good and very good years. There's not a huge difference in program level.

We needed to be lucky to beat them in 98 and they beat us in 99. That's them being about as good as us in the late 90's.
They've had their good and very good years. There's not a huge difference in program level.
All-time wins: 740 vs. 865
Winning %: .576 vs. .669
Bowl wins: 17 vs. 30
National titles: 1 vs. 6
Division titles (SEC only): 3 vs. 6
Consensus All-Americans: 25 vs. 41

Arkansas is probably a better program historically than many folks realize (their basketball program is even more underrated). You are correct that they have had their good, occasionally very good years. They've had a couple of all-timers coach there (Frank Broyles and Lou Holtz). But there is a pretty large difference in program level between Arkansas and Tennessee.

Reactions: Jravol78

Memphis beat us in 96 and should have beat us in 99. Same logic applies, right?

LOL, just stop dude.

They aren't even close

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo

VN Store

Back