James Pearce: Big part of Vol outlook

It don’t matter the color of a man he would’ve still dominated him!
Lol you can scream that from the mountain top til you’re blue I the face but it doesn’t make it true. There’s a reason why the majority of nfl players are black. Who would play for the Olympic basketball team if black players couldn’t play? Dalton might be on the team lol

Well he went and dominated an integrated NFL sooooo, your point?

If anything, he looked a little skinny in college, you give him modern nutrition and weight training and he is insane.
captaininsano-water.gif

Reactions: LittleVol
Lol you can scream that from the mountain top til you’re blue I the face but it doesn’t make it true. There’s a reason why the majority of nfl players are black. Who would play for the Olympic basketball team if black players couldn’t play? Dalton might be on the team lol
I’m not talking about the Olympic basketball team, or anyone else other than Doug Atkins. Stay on topic. You were trying to speak it as fact that Doug Atkins wouldn’t be as dominant when in reality, you don’t know. In my opinion, Doug Atkins would have been dominant in any era. He had toughness you can’t teach.

I’m not talking about the Olympic basketball team, or anyone else other than Doug Atkins. Stay on topic. You were trying to speak it as fact that Doug Atkins wouldn’t be as dominant when in reality, you don’t know. In my opinion, Doug Atkins would have been dominant in any era. He had toughness you can’t teach.
I didn’t speak anything subjective as fact. I was pointing out that it was easier in his era cuz he didn’t have to compete with black people. I was just presenting facts. He may very well have dominating just the same. But we don’t know that. He would’ve had more people that could’ve challenged him at the very least.

44% of college football players are black. Meaning the como he played against was watered down by almost half when he was playing. He had to go against guys that these days would be playing D2

I didn’t speak anything subjective as fact. I was pointing out that it was easier in his era cuz he didn’t have to compete with black people. I was just presenting facts. He may very well have dominating just the same. But we don’t know that. He would’ve had more people that could’ve challenged him at the very least.

44% of college football players are black. Meaning the como he played against was watered down by almost half when he was playing. He had to go against guys that these days would be playing D2
Would like to point out like someone else stated before, he dominated in the NFL also.

Would like to point out like someone else stated before, he dominated in the NFL also.
In an era that was 90%+ white. Like I said, he played in a watered down era.

I love me some Doug Atkins. He was a STUD.

Just pointing out that he was a big fish in a much smaller pond than the current situation.

In an era that was 90%+ white. Like I said, he played in a watered down era.

I love me some Doug Atkins. He was a STUD.

Just pointing out that he was a big fish in a much smaller pond than the current situation.
I get it, but you’re not saying anything new. Like I said, my opinion is he would be dominant in any era.

Reactions: Rockytop10nessee

#17 FREAK

One of his coaches told me that the 6-5, 245 pound junior is a legitimate 4.4 40 threat. According to PFF, Pearce was the SEC’s highest graded defensive end last year at 90.9. He tied for the SEC lead in sacks (10) and was second in tackles for loss (14.5); he’s the SEC’s returning statistical leader in both of those. He had 16 quarterback hurries, two pass breakups and two forced fumbles.”

#17 FREAK

One of his coaches told me that the 6-5, 245 pound junior is a legitimate 4.4 40 threat. According to PFF, Pearce was the SEC’s highest graded defensive end last year at 90.9. He tied for the SEC lead in sacks (10) and was second in tackles for loss (14.5); he’s the SEC’s returning statistical leader in both of those. He had 16 quarterback hurries, two pass breakups and two forced fumbles.”
Yeah I’m waiting for him to have his jaw dropping moment when he runs a RB down 40 yards downfield.
He was faster straight lines than any of our DB starters last season.

That and college football was easier to dominate without any black players on the field. Still love Atkins, but I doubt he’d be as dominant in an integrated sport. Not to say that he wouldn’t still be great, but some say he’s the best DL of all time and I don’t know how you can come to that conclusion when the competition was watered down.
A part of me agrees, but you're overlooking a significant reality. Ethnics aside, players today have their nutrition carefully monitored and planned. Training is far better at maximizing strength, agility, speed, and relevant technique - such as reaction to ball hikes, and play recognition. Back in Doug's day, natural talent reigned supreme. IIRC, Doug was a drinker. So was (forgot name) Super Bowl Packers receiver, who got drunk the night before. Not anticipating playing. But the Receiver one got hurt. Back scores 1-2 TDs IIRC. Today, players are practically tailor-coached on a level the likes of Atkins never even dreamed about.

Now, as for the Black players, they did have some natural advantages, that still exist today. Which is why many pro sports rosters in general exhibit this by the sheer number of Blacks on teams. As a matter of fact, back in the mid-late 1960s, again, IIRC, that's when you saw mainly White players using steroids to sort of even the odds of competing with Black players. Just the same, some folks, ethnics notwithstanding, you will always have players that are simply extraordinary. Jim Thorpe (Native American), Wataru Misaka (Japanese-American NBA player), and the rise of athletes of color in swimming, gymnastics, and other traditional White only bastion sports. You also have Extraordinary players like Rob Gronkowski, Raymond Berry, John Havlik, Jerry West, and so on, and on, including Doug Atkins. Again, ethnics not withstanding, you will always have those very special individuals, perhaps mutants, that stand out. In the case of the USA, the country didn't appreciate or utilize her full potential until she got out of her own way and let everyone compete. To a large extent, she still needs to get out of her own way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rockytop10nessee
Yeah I’m waiting for him to have his jaw dropping moment when he runs a RB down 40 yards downfield.
He was faster straight lines than any of our DB starters last season.
How about runs a RB down 10 yards in the backfield? I really don't want see an opponent's RB run anywhere close to 40 yards downfield.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Why do we hold any of them over Doug Atkins. Possibly the greatest defensive player of all time. Mr Atkins told me at a golf tournament that they did not keep stats on sacks when he was playing. He went on to say that he had multiple games a season that he would have six or seven tackles of the quarterback during a game. I was thinking about that years later and realized that he might have had multiple 20 plus sack seasons that he will never get credit for.
For myself. It’s talent level back then versus now. It’s also before integration so how we really call someone the best when everyone was allowed to play?

Not knocking his accomplishments. He is one of the greatest Vols to ever play based on that, but to base it on pure talent level.. players back then aren’t built like they have been for the past 30+ years.

Talent wise he doesn’t touch Tennessees top 20 all time. And I don’t think it’s very close.

And maybe it’s not fair because they didn’t have the tools and training like players do today but… I mean it is what it is.

For myself. It’s talent level back then versus now. It’s also before integration so how we really call someone the best when everyone was allowed to play?

Not knocking his accomplishments. He is one of the greatest Vols to ever play based on that, but to base it on pure talent level.. players back then aren’t built like they have been for the past 30+ years.

Talent wise he doesn’t touch Tennessees top 20 all time. And I don’t think it’s very close.

And maybe it’s not fair because they didn’t have the tools and training like players do today but… I mean it is what it is.
What I am saying is that he is one of a handful of players that would have been stars in any era. The guy was an athlete. 6.8 265 and was a high jumper in track and a good enough athlete to sign a bball scholarship to Tennessee. He was the prototype defensive end 20 years before his time

westwords "James Pearce is a big guy, 6-5 and 242. There is enough of him for three or four Tennessee coaches to share the credit for his accomplishments and claim an investment in lofty projections." Marvin West's Great Piece on Tennessee's Best Defensive Player since ; Eric Berry?? westwords click & enjoy Yall!

Does Pierce have a chance to nab the first Heisman Trophy for Tennessee?

As a Vols fan, I understand your question, and the sheer futility of your hope. For whatever reason, there exists a innate dislike of the UT Vols by the CFB Heisman selectors. My suggestion is ignore their existence, and enjoy our Vols to the hilt. Just kill their favorites on the field, and leave them for either the vultures or the morticians. Then just Orange Out.

Reactions: Volfan1000
What I am saying is that he is one of a handful of players that would have been stars in any era. The guy was an athlete. 6.8 265 and was a high jumper in track and a good enough athlete to sign a bball scholarship to Tennessee. He was the prototype defensive end 20 years before his time
Maybe I just disagree. I don’t think he would have been fast enough to even touch the field at DE in today’s game. I can’t “bump his speed” because he played back then. He moved slower. James Pierce Jr, for example, is in a totally different league.

If you plucked him out of his era and dropped him on the field today, his speed and strength would make him a liability.

That’s not a knock, but it’s the reality when you watch the film.

Reactions: tn4elvis

That would be something; huh? ! Defensive players don't usually get picked for the heistman, unless you're from Michigan and up against one of the greatest QB's ever....

Maybe I just disagree. I don’t think he would have been fast enough to even touch the field at DE in today’s game. I can’t “bump his speed” because he played back then. He moved slower. James Pierce Jr, for example, is in a totally different league.

If you plucked him out of his era and dropped him on the field today, his speed and strength would make him a liability.

That’s not a knock, but it’s the reality when you watch the film.
Maybe but he would also have all the advantages of today’s training and nutrition to help him . Would be interesting to see for sure

VN Store

Back