Jason Quick(The Oregonian)storied history not team Ducks 48-Vols 17 (link)

volfan2024

“Wanna play ball scarecrow “
Did you know: Tennessee has lost its last 16 games against Top 25-ranked teams, but is 7-7-1 all time against teams ranked No. 2.

Threat level (1-5 scale): 2. The Vols have a storied history, but not a storied team. Tennessee went 5-7 last year and return five staters on offense and eight on defense. In the preseason SEC media poll, the Vols were picked to finish fifth out of seven teams in the Eastern Division, behind Georgia, South Carolina, Florida and Vanderbilt and ahead of Missouri and Kentucky.

Early prediction: Oregon 48, Tennessee 17

Oregon Ducks rundown: Sneak peek at the Tennessee Volunteers | OregonLive.com

Jason Quick, The Oregonian

To be fair, I think anybody who plays the Ducks this year may get pasted for more than 40 points. This Ducks team scares me because I have seen them play last 2 weeks on TV. I think they are better than when Vols played them in 2010....that is a scary thought!!!

As an outsider looking in he has no reason to think otherwise. I have no problem with his prediction, given his perspective

Reactions: 4 people
To be fair, I think anybody who plays the Ducks this year may get pasted for more than 40 points. This Ducks team scares me because I have seen them play last 2 weeks on TV. I think they are better than when Vols played them in 2010....that is a scary thought!!!

I saw them play and was not impressed at all. What impressed you about them?

Guy told it like it is...Pretty Accurate score prediction too.

I forsee a close first half and a wide open second based solely on their speed and depth.

BUT, I am hoping for us to come out with a lot of intensity and focus so that we can take the crowd out of it. It's not like we are playing at a higher altitude (unless I am mistaken) so the only outside factors I see being an issue are the crowd noise and the distance we have to travel to go there. I have heard others say on here that in some cases the time can help a team going west. I'm not so sure.

Either way we have a hell of an uphill battle. Great test for Coach Jones and this team. I think we should all welcome the challenge and look for improvement across the board. Can't play too conservative but can't sit back in a shell. Gotta hit em hard and hit em often and get in those passing lanes on screens and timing routes.

If we can pound the ball up the middle and outside of the tackles then we can definitely catch them off guard with the play action or short to intermediate routes. Worley doesn't need a perfect game here. Obviously he needs to throw on time and in rhythm with the recievers but more importantly limit the turnovers. This game will definitely come down to endurance and turnovers...which by the way Coach Jones and the entire staff have been preaching since day one. Physical toughness, mental toughness, preparedness, discipline, endurance, and limiting mistakes. Lezzz get em' boys!!! GBO!!!!

Vols - 37
Ducks - 35

Reactions: 5 people
I'll be dead honest:

I think Oregon is going to be the best total team we play all year.

And we're at one of the hardest places to play.

For our 3rd game with Jones.

With a lot of young players.

Say what you want but if we lose by 21 or less, it's a testament to Jones and his staff. Dooley/Sunseri would lose this game by 40+.

Reactions: 2 people
I saw them play and was not impressed at all. What impressed you about them?

What impressed me was Oregons play makers with emphasis on Mariota and Deanthonty Thomas. They look like gazelles out there running. Also special teams, Oregon executed a nice fake field goal that looked effortless.

Last edited:
I think this writer is dead-on. Pretty fair analysis and score prediction, in my opinion.

To the degree this game is competitive for any length of time, it's a real testament to our team and coaches.

I'll enjoy watching it regardless. It's a fun match up and I'm glad we kept it on our schedule. I just wish it were 2015 and not 2013. I think Butch has us on the upswing...

The Oregonian is a fish wrapper. Even Oregonians don't read it. But, he's not that far off the mark. I would love to be proven wrong......

Why don't we ever seem to play these teams when they're lousy, like Oregon has been for 100 out of 115 yrs of their existence! ?

I'll be glad when this board no longer has to constantly discuss the Oregon Ducks.

It was the same way with Cal a few years back.

I think we'll put at least 24 on them. There not big up front on defense and our line should be able to dominate that. Their speed will be deadly though. We need somebody to lay some big hits early on Mariota and the black mamba. Seems their qb can only complete screens, but they are extremely effective after the catch. I think if we can put the pain in their heads it'll be a better game for us.

Edit: also Worley has to be more accurate. Their DBs are athletic and opportunistic.

I'll be glad when this board no longer has to constantly discuss the Oregon Ducks.

It was the same way with Cal a few years back.

I'll be sadder than you are glad when the Women of Oregon threads stop coming.

Reactions: 1 person

Well anybody till they play the SEC champions in the national title game. If they get by Stanford.

The article seemed very fair to the Vols. Nothing inflammatory or untrue. Like it or not, this is just a bad match up for the Vols. It will be difficult to keep this one as close as the last time the Vols played Oregon.

I try to stay positive and cant stand the negavol attitude. But.... I got a feeling after watching Western Kentucky move the ball on us(short of turnovers and our 2nd half ), we will be in for a big spanking in Eugene. I'm hopeful that we pull off a win, but in reality, i hope we can hold them to 14 points. Any which way, we will be better prepared for Florida.

VN Store

Back