Jimmy Clausen

Originally posted by TBALLVOL@Jul 25, 2005 10:35 AM
Who and how many have the PAC 10 developed into NFL QBs over the past 10 years Milo?...just curious.
[snapback]118066[/snapback]​

Jake Plummer, Andrew Walter, Aaron Rodgers, Pat Barnes, Dave Barr, Perry Klein, Joey Harrington, AJ Feeley, Derek Anderson, Chad Hutchinson, Chris Lewis, Tommy Maddox, Matt Cassel, Carson Palmer, Mark Brunell, Damon Huard, Cody Pickett, Marques Tuiasosopo, Drew Bledsoe.

There are even more on the way, as well. Sam Keller and Rudy Carpenter at Arizona State. Joseph Ayoob, Nate Longshore and Kevin Riley at Cal. Kellen Clemens at Oregon. Ryan Gunderson and Matt Moore at Oregon State. Trent Edwards and TC Ostrander at Stanford. Drew Olson and Ben Olson (no relation) at UCLA. Matt Leinart, John David Booty and Mark Sanchez at USC.

Got a few more QB's than you suspected there, OldVol. :p That's just from one conference, too.

But that was not exactly my point. My point was that there are many schools out here that are reputable for producing very good QB's, wheras schools out east, while not bad by an stretch, don't exactly crank out top-notch signal callers. It's more like a top level one every now and again for most schools. UT being the exception. But even still, UT has had a noticable chunk of the QB talent coming in from the west coast. Namely, all three Clausens and Ainge.

Alls I'm pointing out is where a lot of the quarterback talent in this country is coming from. Tennessee is even becoming QBU thanks in large part due to the talent coming from the left coast.

Hate to answer a question directed at someone else, but here goes:

Quarterbacks that have at least spent time in the NFL since 1995 to the best of my knowledge

Pac-10 since 1995

1. Carson Palmer
2. Joey Harrington
3. Cade McNown
4. Marcus Tuiacisopo (sp.)
5. Andrew Walter
6. Aaron Rodgers
7. Akili Smith
8. Jake Plummer
9. A.J. Feely
10. Ryan Leaf
11. Jason Gesser
12. Cody Pickett
13. Kyle Boller
14. Drew Bledsoe was just before '95

SEC since '95

1. Peyton Manning
2. Eli Manning
3. Danny Wuerrfel
4. Doug Johnson
5. Jesse "The Bachelor" Palmer
6. Rex Grossman
7. David Greene
8. Quincy Carter
9. Jason Campbell
10. Tim Couch
11. Rohan Davey
12. Tee Martin
13. Anthony Wright
14. Clint Stoerner (thank God for him)

I'm sure others from both conferences have played in the NFL since '95, but it looks pretty even. I think the West Coast as a whole has a stereotype for producing QB's, when you take into account schools like Utah, Fresno State, BYU, etc.

West Coast schools are known for being more finesse and throwing it more, so that might have more to do with them being known as QB factories than the Pac-10 being better at developing QB's.

As far as NFL starters, here's the breakdown:

Pac-10: 6 (Palmer, Bledsoe, Feely?, Harrington, Plummer, Boller)
Big 10: 5 (Collins, Brees, Brady, Green, Griese)
Conf. USA: 4 (Ramsey, Losman, Culpepper, Favre)
Other: 3 (Warner, McNair, Delhomme)
SEC: 3 (P. Manning, E. Manning, Grossman)
MAC: 3 (Pennington, Leftwich, Roethlisberger)
Mtn. West/WAC: 3 (Carr, Dilfer, Smith)
Big East: 3 (McNabb, Hasselback, Bulger)
ACC: 2 (Vick, Brooks)
Big 12: 0

So the Pac-10 does seem to produce more NFL starting QB's than any other conference, but only by a few.

Although all that data about the Pac-10 and QB's notwithstanding, what matters more in recruiting, a school on the West Coast that is notorious for QB development, or the fact that every sibling you have goes/has went to UT, and that your Mom and Dad love the coach, the fans, the stadium, that you go to games wearing an orange jersey regularly, and that you have always looked up to your big brothers (who, coincidently, also wore orange)

Also doesn't hurt that a UT alum (coached by the guy that would be your Offensive Coordinator at UT) broke the NFL's all time touchdown record last season . . .

Originally posted by milohimself@Jul 25, 2005 12:53 PM
Well, I'm just saying that the Pac-10's QB development is happening at a very high level right now. Tennessee has the distinct advantage of being the only school in the eastern US which has a reputation for QB development.
[snapback]118057[/snapback]​

As much as I hate that school, Michigan with Brian Griese, Tom Brady, Drew Henson, and now the emerging Chad Henne makes for a pretty solid list for QB's.

Originally posted by GoVolsDogg@Jul 25, 2005 11:49 AM
As much as I hate that school, Michigan with Brian Griese, Tom Brady, Drew Henson, and now the emerging Chad Henne makes for a pretty solid list for QB's.
[snapback]118085[/snapback]​

My point was also where they came from. Michigan gets QB talent from around the country, Pac-10's is generally home-grown. Just saying Jimmy might end up the same way,

Regretfully agree.

At least John Navarre will never make that list, especially since the pounding we gave his team in the '02 Citrus Bowl

Originally posted by GenNeyland9@Jul 25, 2005 2:54 PM
Regretfully agree. 

At least John Navarre will never make that list, especially since the pounding we gave his team in the '02 Citrus Bowl
[snapback]118087[/snapback]​

Navarre was a horrible QB, certainly not up to Michigan standards for QB's, they took a big dip between Drew Henson and him right there.

Originally posted by milohimself@Jul 25, 2005 2:53 PM
My point was also where they came from. Michigan gets QB talent from around the country, Pac-10's is generally home-grown. Just saying Jimmy might end up the same way,
[snapback]118086[/snapback]​

It semed that your point was that Tennessee is the only Eastern University that has the pitch of great QB's. Just merely pointing out that UM has had their share as well.

Well... Both. Alright. Michigan and Tennessee consistently produce a lot of good QB's. But I don't think Jimmy has any interest in them, and I'm also certain that most here hate them, myself more than anybody.

Tennessee is one of the few schools outside of the west coast that consistently produces good talent at QB.

Alright? Let's move on lol

Originally posted by milohimself@Jul 25, 2005 3:06 PM
Well... Both. Alright. Michigan and Tennessee consistently produce a lot of good QB's. But I don't think Jimmy has any interest in them, and I'm also certain that most here hate them, myself more than anybody.

Tennessee is one of the few schools outside of the west coast that consistently produces good talent at QB.

Alright? Let's move on lol
[snapback]118094[/snapback]​

Good idea, let's move on...and let's also forget that I said anything towards the Univeristy of Michigan that could be taken as a compliment.

Michigan sucks, I feel better now after saying that.

Have you guys looked at Jimmy's stats? Good lord . . .

Last season (as a HS sophomore!) he completed 68% of his passes for over 3500 yards and almost 60 TD's, with only like 9 picks. Damn.

I don't know a lot about the talent he's playing against, but it is California. He's 6'3 and nearly 200 lbs. as a rising Junior in High School.

This kid sounds unreal . . . I hope he's wearing no. 7 for the Vols in '07.

The kid is a year and a half from his signing day. Everybody that he talks to probably thinks he's interested.

While neither Coach Redell or Jim Clausen named a favorite, Coach Redell did say that it could come down to USC and Notre Dame for his services in the end

No Tennessee????

I agree. He may change his mind a hundred times in the next two years. That's my problem with following recruiting. It gets interesting when the kids are seniors and about to sign, but I just don't have much interest in what a 16 year old is thinking.

Originally posted by GenNeyland9@Jul 25, 2005 1:12 PM
Have you guys looked at Jimmy's stats?  Good lord . . .

Last season (as a HS sophomore!) he completed 68% of his passes for over 3500 yards and almost 60 TD's, with only like 9 picks.  Damn.

I don't know a lot about the talent he's playing against, but it is California.  He's 6'3 and nearly 200 lbs. as a rising Junior in High School. 

This kid sounds unreal . . . I hope he's wearing no. 7 for the Vols in '07.
[snapback]118112[/snapback]​

California football is a bit different... Instead of having all the teams in the state playing in the same group, the state is divided into 10 different sections under the CIF. Oaks Christian plays in the Southern Section, or CIFSS, which has over 500 schools. The CIFSS is split into 13 divisions based on region. Oaks Christian plays in Divison XI, which is moderatley difficult to play in, but not one of the more powerful larger divisions.

Most states have some sort of divisional separation like that, milo. It's just that Cali is so much more populated than most.

Having said that, I'm assuming you're saying he doesn't play in one of the tougher divisions?

They're all pretty tough to win a championship in... But I was looking at the tougher divisions. Tell me if you've heard of some schools here:

Division I: Poly Long Beach, Mater Dei, Esperanza, Loyola, Los Alamitos
Division II: Mission Viejo, Rancho Cucamonga, Valencia
Division III: Redondo, Dominguez, Arcadia, Chaminade
Division IV: San Luis Obispo, St. Bonaventure, Thousand Oaks

That competition has to be rough.

Yes, all of those schools ring a bell. I imagine the competition is pretty tough out there, regardless of division.

I know that St. Bonaventure used to be in the same division as Oaks Christian, but as you can see they moved to Division IV and won a title there. St. Bonaventure one the CIFSS-DXI title like four straight times before that.

Oaks Christian plays in the same division as Nordhoff, La Salle (not De La Salle) and Oak Park, which are good schools.

Back to my original point...while Clausen is putting up very guady numbers, it seems that he is playing pretty good high school competition.

Bringing up his competition level is a very important part of the topic, however. If you were to put him in the Moore League with Poly Long Beach or the Serra League with Mater Dei and Loyola, and he did well, then you'd know he's the real deal.

VN Store

Back