JJ Peterson's status, requirements and timetable after classes begin

I'm a little more concerned about what happens IF he gets here. Will he be able to handle a college workload well enough to stay eligible? Of course I don't have any insight into why he struggled thus far, but it can't help but be a concern that we waste a scholly on someone who can't stay on field.

I'm a little more concerned about what happens IF he gets here. Will he be able to handle a college workload well enough to stay eligible? Of course I don't have any insight into why he struggled thus far, but it can't help but be a concern that we waste a scholly on someone who can't stay on field.
Or in school.

Reactions: jarhead

The challenge is getting here. There’s a reason you only hear of a handful of kids getting kicked off the team for academic ineligibility and it isn’t because we only recruit the smartest of the smart. UT has the means and processes in place that virtually guarantees an athlete both academic elgigibilty once on campus and a degree if they choose to finish school.

Watch Emmitt Gooden on Last Chance U. His grades were abysmal, but I’m willing to bet that we won’t hear a word academics wise from UT while he is playing on the Hill.

Last edited:
Tennessee has one of the best academic support systems for their student athletes, I have full faith Dr. Joe Scogin and his group will have these young men graduated.

If he gets here that's more than half the battle. He can make an immediate impact on a defense in need of playmakers once he gets enough of the system to play fast.

If he can't academically qualify all the JJ Peterson experience was is...a waste of time.

Rooting for the kid. Not only is his football career at stake, but his academic future and potential for after football success.

No. Luckily, he's on the football team so he won't have to.

He'll have a hell of a lot more structure and resources once (if) he gets here

Reactions: ScornedPapaVol
Pretty sure Im correct, Tennessees admission standards are higher than NCAA requirements.. Its been a problem that J Cheeks started 11 years ago..

Reactions: tbh and 82_VOL_83
He could come in get acclimated with academics plus the defense. Then play last 4 games starting with Charlotte and still be eligible for redshirt or if needed because of injuries play in the bowl game. If as good as advertised may just be 3 and done anyway.

Bubba went to Alabama on a football scholarship. He was a good running back, but a poor student.
At graduation day, Bubba didn't have enough credits. But he was a great football star and the students held a rally and demanded the dean give him a diploma anyway. They were so insistent that the dean agreed if Bubba could answer one question correctly he would give him a diploma.
The one question test was held in the auditorium and the students packed the place. It was standing room only.
The dean was on the stage and told Bubba to come up. The dean had the diploma in his hand and said, "Bubba, if you can answer this question correctly I'll give you your diploma." Bubba said he was ready and the dean asked him the question. "Bubba," he said, "How much is three times seven?"
Bubba looked up at the ceiling and then down at his shoes, just pondering the question. The students began chanting, "Graduate him anyway! Graduate him anyway!"
Then Bubba held up his hand and the auditorium became silent. Bubba said, "I think I know the answer. Three times seven is twenty-one."
A hush fell over the auditorium...and then the Alabama students began another chant. "Give him another chance! Give him another chance!"

He may be Bama bound!

Bubba went to Alabama on a football scholarship. He was a good running back, but a poor student.
At graduation day, Bubba didn't have enough credits. But he was a great football star and the students held a rally and demanded the dean give him a diploma anyway. They were so insistent that the dean agreed if Bubba could answer one question correctly he would give him a diploma.
The one question test was held in the auditorium and the students packed the place. It was standing room only.
The dean was on the stage and told Bubba to come up. The dean had the diploma in his hand and said, "Bubba, if you can answer this question correctly I'll give you your diploma." Bubba said he was ready and the dean asked him the question. "Bubba," he said, "How much is three times seven?"
Bubba looked up at the ceiling and then down at his shoes, just pondering the question. The students began chanting, "Graduate him anyway! Graduate him anyway!"
Then Bubba held up his hand and the auditorium became silent. Bubba said, "I think I know the answer. Three times seven is twenty-one."
A hush fell over the auditorium...and then the Alabama students began another chant. "Give him another chance! Give him another chance!"

He may be Bama bound!

Reactions: Boogievol
Even if we don't get any use out of him this year, he is good enough that he is not a wasted scholarship. If he does get in, I would hope that they spend the time to get him used to college life rather than football.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
I don't see ever playing a down at U T. I see him going JUCO and being recruited elsewhere while at JUCO
He was recruited by EVERYBODY in high school and chose Tennessee because of Pruitt. Don’t see that changing in glorified high school.

VN Store

Back