Joe VS Past TN QBs

Thanks for this helpful table! Is Milton's ranking at the top of each column relative to individual quarterbacks (/9) or individual seasons (/20)?

EDIT: Answered my own question -- the rankings are relative to each of the other nineteen seasons in the twenty-year period.

Statistically he does well in a comparison, no argument.

However, I also submit that Heupel's offensive-minded approach contributes to that stat line. He's had offenses ranked in the top 10 for scoring in the previous 5 years, and that's not by accident. Heupel's offense approach is light years ahead of anything we saw from Dooley, or Butch, or the Bammer.

If you took guys like Ainge or Dobbs or hell, even Bray or Crompton, and put them in Heupel's turbo-charged offensive scheme, they'd all have fat stats and huge numbers. I can only dream of what Josh Dobbs would have done in Heupel's system.

What is amazing to see is how bad Crompton played with Dave Clawson and how he turned it around with Lane Kiffin. I'm not saying I'm a Lane fan, but those numbers are drastically different for the same player.
Foolmer was the coach and would not let Clawson run the offense, that was Foolmers downfall, always meddling, always

What is amazing to see is how bad Crompton played with Dave Clawson and how he turned it around with Lane Kiffin. I'm not saying I'm a Lane fan, but those numbers are drastically different for the same player.

All because Kiffin realized Crompton was a 1000% better quarterback when he rolled out of the pocket. That was probably the most ridiculous thing of all about it.

Statistically he does well in a comparison, no argument.

However, I also submit that Heupel's offensive-minded approach contributes to that stat line. He's had offenses ranked in the top 10 for scoring in the previous 5 years, and that's not by accident. Heupel's offense approach is light years ahead of anything we saw from Dooley, or Butch, or the Bammer.

If you took guys like Ainge or Dobbs or hell, even Bray or Crompton, and put them in Heupel's turbo-charged offensive scheme, they'd all have fat stats and huge numbers. I can only dream of what Josh Dobbs would have done in Heupel's system.

This is a good point. It’s crazy to think what Bray would’ve been under Heupel. He had an absolute cannon. If he was in this scheme with the upgraded coaching, he could’ve been special.

This is how Milton compared to past UT QBs since 2004. And he still has another game remaining. As much hate as he got, he really is a great QB (statistically).View attachment 598224
Tyler Bray, Hooker twice and Ainge are only ones in 20 yrs with overall better seasons.
Note we’ve won 10 games only 3 times so his potential for a 9-4 season is up there as well.
Thank you Joe for this season and representing UT with great leadership and integrity the past 3 yrs!

This is how Milton compared to past UT QBs since 2004. And he still has another game remaining. As much hate as he got, he really is a great QB (statistically).View attachment 598224
Had there been no HH the past 2 seasons, JM would have looked like a world beater. JM followed the should’ve been Heisman winner so we were spoiled!

Joe had a good year. Y'all better be glad he stayed, Nico was not ready.

I 100% agree with you. I think Nico is going to be special, but I don’t think that he was ready to be QB1 this year. Remember the last time we rushed a highly touted freshman into start (Bailey), it didn’t work out so well.

Hard to quantify different eras, and yes we have had several eras since the 90s. Rules favoring the offenses, athletes are better trained, stronger, and faster. Many QBs on this list passing %was in the 50s. Today that is terrible. Accuracy is the key to a successful QB and I don’t mean throwing 10 WR screens per game. Look at Bray, Dobbs, and Hooker’s ypa

Crompton could have been a really good qb but he had different OCs and qb coaches every year …or so it seemed

VN Store

Back