Joe VS Past TN QBs

All because Kiffin realized Crompton was a 1000% better quarterback when he rolled out of the pocket. That was probably the most ridiculous thing of all about it.
Look at the UGA game to back this claim up. Georgia wasn’t ready for him to roll out of the pocket and that day he looked like an All American.

Had there been no HH the past 2 seasons, JM would have looked like a world beater. JM followed the should’ve been Heisman winner so we were spoiled!
Hooker was spoiled with what was around him, with a first round draft pick in Wright. His WR corp of Hyatt, Tillman and Bru. And a TE that could play in multiple spots on the field.

It amazes me the hate Joe gets and I think it stems from a small group of fans who got it going on social media. I have a guy on my FB who every week complains about how hard Joe throws and I laugh at his stupidity after every post.

There are also the overthrow Joe posts that are unwarranted this season I can remember 3-4 overthrows this year. His primary issue this year was under throws.
Overthrows, under throws, off target throws in some key moments were his Achilles heel...to be sure though, it's also a team game, and our WRs didn't get the separation this year as much or win as many 50/50 balls...and JM many times didn't get time in the pocket protection from OL to help him.

Will be interesting to see his NFL draft grade. I thought AR would be a complete bust and didn't think Levis was NFL starting QB caliber...was wrong about both of them, so maybe JM will have a chance. If he ends up doing well in NFL, then certainly our armchair QB ranking of his college days will increase.

Overthrows, under throws, off target throws in some key moments were his Achilles heel...to be sure though, it's also a team game, and our WRs didn't get the separation this year as much or win as many 50/50 balls...and JM many times didn't get time in the pocket protection from OL to help him.

Will be interesting to see his NFL draft grade. I thought AR would be a complete bust and didn't think Levis was NFL starting QB caliber...was wrong about both of them, so maybe JM will have a chance. If he ends up doing well in NFL, then certainly our armchair QB ranking of his college days will increase.
Yeah I agree Joe wasn‘t perfect but neither was his supporting cast. It seemed to me that Joe just couldn’t overcome adversity when it happened during the game which says a lot about his mental toughness.

Reactions: Majors and njvols
Hooker was spoiled with what was around him, with a first round draft pick in Wright. His WR corp of Hyatt, Tillman and Bru. And a TE that could play in multiple spots on the field.
I think a good question is what would our record have been with Hooker at QB this year I am not sure it would be any different.

I think a good question is what would our record have been with Hooker at QB this year I am not sure it would be any different.
I’d say we win Florida but defense was so bad I’m being hopeful in saying that.

Look at the UGA game to back this claim up. Georgia wasn’t ready for him to roll out of the pocket and that day he looked like an All American.

Yup.... I was so mad that day in Neyland.... Because Crompton killed them and it was solely due to Kiffin getting him rolling out left and right.... Like that game made me more mad at the losses to UCLA-Auburn that year because it "clicked" finally.

Reactions: Majors
300 yards on 78 rushes? Long of 81, adding 7 TDS. You’re right, non factor. Now do Worley and we can discuss no factor.
Yep, essentially a nonfactor. 26 percent of his total came on that one long. No one was remotely worried about Joe's legs.

I'm absolutely positive our record would have been different with an amazing QB over Joe.
I glad you are positive because I am not certain it would have been MO, GA and ALA were all better than us so maybe we beat Fla with better QB play but that hinges on the defense stopping them.

All of the online negativity surrounding the qb play this season motivated me to go back and look up the stats from all of the tennessee quarterbacks since 2003. In the past 20 seasons, there has only been one qb with both a better completion percentage and quarterback rating than Milton and that was Hendon Hooker. There have been two quarterbacks with a better completion rating and that was Hendon Hooker and (oddly) Harrison Bailey. Yes, i know there are more qualities than stats that come into play when evaluating a football player, but I really thought that Milton did better than people gave him credit for this year. Below are the numbers from Tennessee quarterbacks with more than 10 pass attempts since 2003:

Casey Clausen: 45 games…61.0% … 139.8 QBR (1,270 attempts) … 75 td 31 int
Erik Ainge: 43 games…60.6%...135.5 QBR… (1,210 attempts)…72 td 35 int
Brent Schaeffer: 8 games…48.6%...129.6 QBR (37 attempts) 2 td 1 int
Rick Clausen: 15 games…58.3%... 123.5 QBR (345 attempts)…14 td 11 int
Nick Stephens: 10 games…50.3%...114.0 QBR… (143 attempts) 5td 4 int
John Crompton: 35 games…55.3%...123.1 QBR (629 attempts) 36 td 22 int
Matt Sims: 16 games…54.5%...116.7 QBR (257 attempts) 8 td 8 int
Tyler Bray: 28 games… 58.6%...145.0 QBR… (922 attempts) 69 td 28 int
Justin Worley: 8 games…55.6%...118.6 QBR (196 attempts) 10 td 8 int
Nathan Peterman: 3 games…43.5%...55.6 QBR (23 attempts) 0 td 2 int
Josh Dobbs: 7 games…61.5%...133.2 QBR… (999 attempts) 53 td 29 int
Quinten Dormady: 6 games…55.5%... 133.4 QBR… (137 attempts) 6 td 6 int
Will McBride: 3 games…42.5%...72.7 QBR… (40 attempts) 1 td 2int
Jarrett Guarantano: 41 games…61.1%...135.3 QBR… (808 attempts) 38 td 17 int
Keller Chryst: 6 games…45.1%...130.8 QBR…(51 attempts) 3 td 2 int
Brian Maurer: 12 games…45.7%...98.5 QBR… (81 attempts) 2 td 5 int
JT Shrout: 8 games…53.6%...129.0 QBR… (69 attempts) 5 td 3 int
Harrison Bailey: 7 games…68%...146.8 QBR (75 attempts) 4 td 2 int
Hendon Hooker: 24 games…68.9%...178.6 QBR (631 attempts) 58 td 5 int
Joe Milton: 29 games…63.1% … 152.4 QBR (498 attempts) 32 td 5 int

Last edited:
Reactions: posivol
Yep, essentially a nonfactor. 26 percent of his total came on that one long. No one was remotely worried about Joe's legs.
don’t have to be remotely worried, just have to take those 7 TDS and adjust. Just stating he’s better suited than Worley…again nice attempt and not having any backup on your opinion.

His WR left about 250-300 yards on the field in drops.
Drops happen but is seems like the ones we had this year came at the most critical times in the game. Squirrel had two in the MO game that IMO could have at least made the game interesting.

I think it was Squirrel who had the drop against GA after the half that would have resulted in a first down but we went three and out so who knows how that drive turns out. Nimrod had a shot at a ball in the end zone but didn’t come down with it so there is plenty of blame to go around but it is easy to say the QB sucks.

mods, can you please merge or delete? my apologies, i didnt see that someone posted this same topic last night.

I would bet that Joe's completion records on short passes (up to 10 yards from line of scrimmage) would surpass any other QB in UT history. He threw a very good and accurate short pass but, was erratic when he dropped back and attempted passes of 10 or more yards (this is my perception and recollection, as I watched every game and tried my best to pay attention). This whole year the O coaches tried to make Joe into a drop back passer vs playing to his strength and throwing short passes more often. That is what Hooker did last year and while he had a few more weapons, my heaven, we had plenty this year as well between tight ends, WRs and running backs.

We would have won at least the Florida game (if not more) if our play callers did a better job of playing to our team's strengths.

I glad you are positive because I am not certain it would have been MO, GA and ALA were all better than us so maybe we beat Fla with better QB play but that hinges on the defense stopping them.
A Hooker level QB changes the offense almost entirely. Which, in turn, positively effects the defense. I think we turn in another 10-2 season.

Statistically he does well in a comparison, no argument.

However, I also submit that Heupel's offensive-minded approach contributes to that stat line. He's had offenses ranked in the top 10 for scoring in the previous 5 years, and that's not by accident. Heupel's offense approach is light years ahead of anything we saw from Dooley, or Butch, or the Bammer.

If you took guys like Ainge or Dobbs or hell, even Bray or Crompton, and put them in Heupel's turbo-charged offensive scheme, they'd all have fat stats and huge numbers. I can only dream of what Josh Dobbs would have done in Heupel's system.
Dobbs might have been a heisTman candidate in Heupel's offense.

Tyler Bray, Hooker twice and Ainge are only ones in 20 yrs with overall better seasons.
Note we’ve won 10 games only 3 times so his potential for a 9-4 season is up there as well.
Thank you Joe for this season and representing UT with great leadership and integrity the past 3 yrs!

Not sure about Bray, that guy was very immature. Joe Milton was a better QB than Bray. Bray had talent, definitely, but could not put it together in meaningful games.

His WR left about 250-300 yards on the field in drops.
I totally agree, so many drops this year, way too many
Also I agree that Hyatt and offensive line was so much better last year, our starting center Mays was hurt first 4 games and the last 2 or so, the offensive line stunk with all the injury leading up to Mizzou game.
Add in a new offensive coordinator who wasn't nearly as good as last years!!
Again Joe had a good year, we are thankful to have him, best of luck Joe. moving forward.
Now on to Nico

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back