John Chavis to LSU?

fwiw... I was just reading this thread over on the LSU board that Jim Donnan reported on an Atlanta radio station that he has accepted or will accept the DC position at LSU. Guess we'll find out soon enough either way though...

FWIW - 680 Radio in Atlanta says Chavis is our DC. @ TigerDroppings.com

I'd say he'll do a good job for the Tigers, but he will be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire with Miles. Calculated attempt to take the helm perhaps?

good for Chavis. with the type of atheletes they have on the def side of hte ball, he should be able to be pretty successful from teh jump if it turns out that way.

i think if not for the Monte Kiffin/Kevin Steele possibility, Chavis may very well have been retained.

I'd say he'll do a good job for the Tigers, but he will be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire with Miles. Calculated attempt to take the helm perhaps?
i doubt it. I just don't see that kind of ambition in Chavis.

If LSU wants a defensive coordinator with plenty of SEC experience and zero recruiting skills, then Chavis is the guy for them.

Let me rephrase my last post...

If LSU wants a def coordinator with plenty of SEC experience and who isn't much of a recruiter, then Chavis is the guy for them.

I want only third and 5 or longer against LSU if they do this. Third and 2, their D line will hammer us. 3rd and 8, we can pick them apart.

I know Coach Chavis VERY well. He is a class individual and a great coach. I never cheer for any team...pro or college... based on a coach or a player. But...I will have a vested interest in ANY school Chavis coaches in the future.

Good luck to him!!!! He is the one coach that has been consistant at UT over the years! Defense always played hard. God help UT without him the last 4 years. He will be missed.

hmm... i pictured him going to a smaller school and being the head man..

Chavis has said before that he doesn't ever want to be a HC... that's why he stayed at UT for 20yrs as a DC... He's been offered many HC jobs in the past and turned them all down.

I hope he gets the gig at LSU and does well... except for when UT plays them.

I know Coach Chavis VERY well. He is a class individual and a great coach. I never cheer for any team...pro or college... based on a coach or a player. But...I will have a vested interest in ANY school Chavis coaches in the future.

Good luck to him!!!! He is the one coach that has been consistant at UT over the years! Defense always played hard. God help UT without him the last 4 years. He will be missed.

Exactly Chavis earned every dollar he was paid and then some, If Kiffin wasn't bringing his father with him Chavis would still be our DC and we would be glad to have him. If LSU has a chance to hire him, they would be foolish not to jump at the chance. I wish him he thebest.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back