Josh Smith

Why did Dooley offer this kid a scholarship again? I thought everything Dools touched turned to garbage, including his talent evaluations.

Dooley has obviously proven to have sucked at a lot of things and his classes have fallen apart almost as bad as kiffin's, but we have a good OL, potentially one of the best we have ever had. Aj, Randolph, McNeil, couch, mccullers, maggit, stone, Bullard, tiny, and others are all good football players that will help us get back. I understand why many hate Dooley. But I don't understand how people overlook things either, unless blinded by the hate.

Reactions: 9 people
So to those that haven't personally see Josh play - why do you post like you know something on the subject? He and others on the roster are TN kids that have played on the varsity of their schools for 3-4 years. Go watch them, then offer your expert opinion. Use your own eyes and mind instead of some stereotypical repeat of what someone else says.

Running first team with North at practice. Has all the tools any major college program would want at WR including the ability to take a hit. Butch/Zach getting him ready for life in the SEC. He will do well and you will cheer for him in the fall for years to come.

Reactions: 1 person
Josh Smith is an excellent athlete. Saw him a lot in his Jr & Sr yr. not sure why him being white would matter. He is an overachiever & knows the game. Good fundamentals & didn't have an easy schedule in class 3A. Beat Alcoa 3 out of 4 times in the last 2 yrs & wiped up the field with the opponents in the state championship games. Charlie High, Davis Howell, Rathbone, Cunningham & others made the CAK O almost unstoppable. I'm glad we have him. Probably another Zack Rogers or Bobby Moore, only better. Very dependable

Why do people act like 6'1" or 6'2" is small? That's pretty good height for a WR (especially since most DBs are a few inches shorter). Not all receivers are calvin johnson sized. Doesnt make them small though

Was thinking the same thing. He has good size. Pig is small and Smith is bigger than Jenkins too. Prob was because he was injured and where he played. Kid will do very well at UT I believe.

I am sure that I could google his actual stats but what I can tell you is - caucasian -- small Christian school in Knoxville - I believe they are AA which is a very low classification in the state. Now offset that with

Prolific - prolific passing offense - I believe they won the state for the past two years and when they did beat Alcoa it was always a shootout - 55 to 48 62 to 55 or something like that. I believe that even injured some - he set a record for most receptions ever in the state of Tennessee or something to that effect. I don't care who you are - you are doing something right - running crisp patterns, getting separation and hanging onto the football. Someone else mentioned his athleticism.

I don't think anyone would describe his as a beast -- probably only 6'1 or 6'2 so I can see how he could have been overlooked.

He has decent size for a WR, definitely wasnt because of his size. Skin color wasnt it either, Berrios is a 4*. Think it was mostly injuries, where he played and possibly no camps but not sure how many camps he did. He is a very good athlete and will see plenty of PT this year and going forward.

I am sure that I could google his actual stats but what I can tell you is - caucasian -- .

Let these gentlemen stop you right there...

Steve Largent
7 Time Pro-Bowler
1 Time All-Pro
Member of Hall of Fame
Played from 1976 to 1989
Career: 197 games, 819 receptions, 13089 yards, 16 yards/catch, 100 touchdowns

Cris Collinsworth
3 Time Pro-Bowler
Played from 1981 to 1988
Career: 90 games, 417 receptions, 6698 yards, 16.1 yards/catch, 36 touchdowns.

Dwight Clark
2 Time Super Bowl Champion
2 Time Pro-Bowler
1 Time All-Pro
Played from 1979 to 1987
Career: 134 games, 506 receptions, 6750 yards, 13.3 yards/catch, 48 touchdowns.

Wes Welker
2 Time Pro-Bowl Selection
2 Time All-Pro
2 Time NFL Reception Leader
Played from 2004 - 2009
Un-drafted free agent from Texas Tech
Career: 30 games, 442 receptions, 4809 yards, 10.9 yards/catch, 16 touchdowns.

And this info is as of 2010. So You gotta add Welker's last two years in his career stats.

Steve Largent
7 Time Pro-Bowler
1 Time All-Pro
Member of Hall of Fame
Played from 1976 to 1989

Cris Collinsworth
3 Time Pro-Bowler
Played from 1981 to 1988

Dwight Clark
2 Time Pro-Bowler
1 Time All-Pro
Played from 1979 to 1987

Wes Welker
2 Time All-Pro
Played from 2004 - 2009

And this info is as of 2010. So You gotta add Welker's last two years in his career stats.

Stereotype trumps your facts.... just the way it is. White kid could run a 4.3 and he would labeled as having deceptive speed.... That's what they said at the NFL combine last year when Ryan Swope from Tex A&M ran 4.3. Everyone was surprised and compared him to Jordy Nelson or some other white WR. Never said he was a burner.

Steve Largent
7 Time Pro-Bowler
1 Time All-Pro
Member of Hall of Fame
Played from 1976 to 1989

Cris Collinsworth
3 Time Pro-Bowler
Played from 1981 to 1988

Dwight Clark
2 Time Pro-Bowler
1 Time All-Pro
Played from 1979 to 1987

Wes Welker
2 Time All-Pro
Played from 2004 - 2009

Dont forget Don BeeBe and Eric Decker

While its great that 2 newcomers are impressing the coaches such that they insert them onto the 1st team, it concerns me greatly that Croom and others have left the door open. I've had great hopes for him and it would appear he still hasn't established himself in the eyes of the coaches. Disappointing. I sure hope red shirt and soph receivers weren't over hyped.

Also, go Josh Smith...great to see a local kid doing well, regardless of the color of his skin that appears to be so important to so many on this board.

While its great that 2 newcomers are impressing the coaches such that they insert them onto the 1st team, it concerns me greatly that Croom and others have left the door open. I've had great hopes for him and it would appear he still hasn't established himself in the eyes of the coaches. Disappointing. I sure hope red shirt and soph receivers weren't over hyped.

Also, go Josh Smith...great to see a local kid doing well, regardless of the color of his skin that appears to be so important to so many on this board.

Jones said the returning guys had chances in the spring and that the newcomers were going to get their shot. Things will shake out after the first week

Reactions: 3 people

Steve Largent
7 Time Pro-Bowler
1 Time All-Pro
Member of Hall of Fame
Played from 1976 to 1989

Cris Collinsworth
3 Time Pro-Bowler
Played from 1981 to 1988

Dwight Clark
2 Time Pro-Bowler
1 Time All-Pro
Played from 1979 to 1987

Wes Welker
2 Time All-Pro
Played from 2004 - 2009

Didn't say he wasn't good - didn't say he wasn't fast --this was simply conjecture on my part - as to why he was possibly overlooked. His offer list shows that he was overlooked by many. When looking for D1 receivers - you typically don't find them at small Christian schools in East Tennessee. I think he statistically had the numbers to support a higher rating and support being recruiting by many more schools.

Did I miss something? Croom has had great reviews so far and was first team just 6 days ago.

Stereotype trumps your facts.... just the way it is. White kid could run a 4.3 and he would labeled as having deceptive speed.... That's what they said at the NFL combine last year when Ryan Swope from Tex A&M ran 4.3. Everyone was surprised and compared him to Jordy Nelson or some other white WR. Never said he was a burner.

Yea I was reading an article on this. This guy went and did some detective work and found that the NFL's site compares only white WRs to other white WRs.

But the fine the Eagles WR for making a racist remark....

Double standard much?

Yea I was reading an article on this. This guy went and did some detective work and found that the NFL's site compares only white WRs to other white WRs.

But the fine the Eagles WR for making a racist remark....

Double standard much?
Not the same thing at all. Lumpng all white recievers together is no different than assumig that all black QB are dual threat.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Not the same thing at all. Lumpng all white recievers together is no different than assumig that all black QB are dual threat.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Well... Randall Cunnningham, Doug Williams, Vince Evans, Steve McNair, Rodney Pete, Vince Young, Warren Moon(When he was younger), Michael Vick. And now RGIII, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, and Josh Freeman. All are dual threat, virtually no notable black QBs have been in the league that aren't dual threat, so it is a pretty accurate assumption.

Well... Randall Cunnningham, Doug Williams, Vince Evans, Steve McNair, Rodney Pete, Vince Young, Warren Moon(When he was younger), Michael Vick. And now RGIII, Cam Newton, Russell Wilson, Colin Kaepernick, and Josh Freeman. All are dual threat, virtually no notable black QBs have been in the league that aren't dual threat, so it is a pretty accurate assumption.

Guess Steve Young & Fran Tarkenton were mixed right???

VN Store

Back