Kentucky “fake injury” loss

Some of em (Vols included) need to take theatre classes or something. The acting is pathetic.
If the NCAA would make them stay out for the remainder of the series or at least a set number of plays, it might slow some of it down. Seeing a player go down and know full well that it’s fake, then see them back in 2 plays later like nothing happened is maddening

The fake injuries takes a little fun and flow from the game. 100% agree the player needs to sit out a set number of plays. The next 5 plays sounds good

I don't care for the new clock rules and substitutions. Players walking onto the field like a stroll in the park.
Forcing the opposition to use a time out.
Crap

It’s really a problem when the defense can cause the offense to have a delay of game penalty. Maybe something like this: when the offense subs, the ref should stand over the ball for a 10-15 second count to allow the defense to sub, and the play clock should be reset to 25. After the 10-15 second count, whether the defense is fully ready or not, the ref should back up and blow the whistle for the clock to begin winding. Then, if anyone tries to sub again, it’s an automatic delay of game on that team.

Wouldn't have mattered. Without the Fake Injury the VOLS kick a FG with 4 seconds left. No time for KY to do anything even if he missed FG.

so a blocked kick and run back for a TD wasnt a possbility?
You could only dream of this scenario if you were a Kentucky fan. LOL Holder could also run to the sideline or launch the ball in the air as a pass that takes far more than 4 seconds. I'm sure CJH has practiced such a scenario before too. I'm just happy that KY didn't get the ball back. Great job by the offense to grind out a couple of first downs.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Al Orange
It’s really a problem when the defense can cause the offense to have a delay of game penalty. Maybe something like this: when the offense subs, the ref should stand over the ball for a 10-15 second count to allow the defense to sub, and the play clock should be reset to 25. After the 10-15 second count, whether the defense is fully ready or not, the ref should back up and blow the whistle for the clock to begin winding. Then, if anyone tries to sub again, it’s an automatic delay of game on that team.
Giving another 25 second clock would ruin the game even more. We have the 40 sec. clock. Another 25 seconds and we are at over one minute per play. In a 60 minute game, that's 30 plays per side....UCK! Stoops would love this. Slowing the game down enough that even he could keep up with whats going on.

Wouldn't have mattered. Without the Fake Injury the VOLS kick a FG with 4 seconds left. No time for KY to do anything even if he missed FG.

Yes I was thinking that as well - let the clock run down as far as it could anyway - going to be under 10 seconds left. Last play could have been one that took all the time regardless. UK was out of the timeouts.

Giving another 25 second clock would ruin the game even more. We have the 40 sec. clock. Another 25 seconds and we are at over one minute per play. In a 60 minute game, that's 30 plays per side....UCK! Stoops would love this. Slowing the game down enough that even he could keep up with whats going on.

Resetting the clock to 25 seconds doesn’t cause the game to slow down more. I’ll try to explain it better. The way it currently is, you run a play, then you have 40 seconds to sub, allow the defense to sub, and then snap the ball. Also, while the defense is subbing, they can lollygag around, causing the play clock to run all the way down from 40 seconds. The defense can take up the full play clock to sub.

In my hypothetical scenario, the offense runs a play, then if they sub, the referee stand over the spotted ball for 15 seconds, allowing the defense to also sub during those 15 seconds, but once those 15 seconds are over, the play clock then starts to wind down, starting at 25 seconds (25+15=40, so there’s no extra time lost). In addition, the offense can snap the ball immediately once the referee starts the play clock. You don’t have to wait for the defense to slowly sub anymore. They had their 15 seconds to sub, and if they take longer than that, tough. The offense can snap it whenever they want at that point. Does that make sense?

Resetting the clock to 25 seconds doesn’t cause the game to slow down more. I’ll try to explain it better. The way it currently is, you run a play, then you have 40 seconds to sub, allow the defense to sub, and then snap the ball. Also, while the defense is subbing, they can lollygag around, causing the play clock to run all the way down from 40 seconds. The defense can take up the full play clock to sub.

In my hypothetical scenario, the offense runs a play, then if they sub, the referee stand over the spotted ball for 15 seconds, allowing the defense to also sub during those 15 seconds, but once those 15 seconds are over, the play clock then starts to wind down, starting at 25 seconds (25+15=40, so there’s no extra time lost). In addition, the offense can snap the ball immediately once the referee starts the play clock. You don’t have to wait for the defense to slowly sub anymore. They had their 15 seconds to sub, and if they take longer than that, tough. The offense can snap it whenever they want. Does that make sense?

The teams know the rules and should be used to the way substitutions work. There is 40 seconds, plenty of time for the offense to substitute, have a 15 second delay while the defense takes their time and still get the play off. If the offense substitutes with 15 seconds left, sorry but they deserve to have to take the time out or delay of game penalty.

The teams know the rules and should be used to the way substitutions work. There is 40 seconds, plenty of time for the offense to substitute, have a 15 second delay while the defense takes their time and still get the play off. If the offense substitutes with 15 seconds left, sorry but they deserve to have to take the time out or delay of game penalty.

Ok. I don’t have a problem with what you said. The defense should have 15 seconds to sub once the offense decides to sub. That’s fine. However, I think that defensive substitution times should be limited to 15 seconds. I don’t think the defense should be allowed to take their precious time, sometimes as much as 30 seconds, and cause the offense a delay of game. It shouldn’t be a delay of game of the offense because the defense was taking too long to substitute.

Reactions: Nerwen Aldarion
The injury runoff was a nonfactor.
I really think UK's 2 failed 4th down conversions was a bigger factor than most people think. They killed their own momentum.

The league needs to keep up with injury timeouts for each player and if they have reoccurring instances of laying on the field, they need to be medically suspended for a period of time. It’s positive for both player safety and fairness of the game.

Was it a fake injury to stop the offense? At that point in the game we weren’t running fast plays. We were killing the clock. Iirc we’d just let the clock run until there was 1 second left on the play clock and we called timeout. We ran a play and was going to do the same thing if there wasn’t an injury. Let it run down to 1 second, call a timeout, and we would have kicked a field goal with about 10-12 seconds left in the 4th quarter.

Ok, so Stoopid faked an injury to end the game.. Let’s not forget that they also clouded the field with smoke to start the 4th quarter. Sure, it could have been an accident just like it could have been a real injury.. But c’mon! It’s Mark Stoopid we’re talking about! The smoke was just another gimmick.

Edit: I came across this in Twitter:
IMG_6752.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nerwen Aldarion
I actually think I lean more towards the other side.

The rule is awesome when it works in our favorite team's favor, but looking at it as a whole, I'm not sure I like the idea that teams are punished if someone gets hurt and they either lose 10 seconds or a timeout from it.

On a play where someone gets concussed or breaks a bone or tears a hamstring or whatever injury you wanna post, why should a team get punished for that?

But I also see the argument for it as an opposition to fake injuries. Just feels like a tough line to balance on.
So, let's make the player sit out the series. If they are injured to the point of needed to stop play, they need to sit out anyway.

VN Store

Back