Kentucky Question

Cheney beat them. Nuff said.

matthews-leno-cheney.jpg

Did they not hear that Dooley isn't UTs coach anymore? Didn't they lose to WKU recently? They're the 2nd or 3rd best team in KENTUCKY & they're penciling in a win vs a team thats beaten them 27 out of the last 28 years?

Yeah, And UT beat Pansybilt 2 years ago with A horrible coach.

Plus, UT beat the absolute crap out of them LAST year with A interim coach.... so why are they optimistic about beating UT this year?

They've gotta start somewhere. UK was dead last in the SEC last year. UT finished 6th to their 7th in the east. To show any progress they have to beat somebody in the conference. In my opinion they will go winless in the SEC again.

miggy4vols, in a serious answer to your question, some folks regard coach Stoops as a major step up for KY. I happen to agree with that. My Vol pride notwithstanding, the UK often plays the UT tough despite their losing record against us. Stoops appears to be bringing in serious talent in his recruiting, not a lot of bodies right now but he's getting pretty good players.Scout.com: Football Recruiting

Though I live in KY and rather close to Lexington, I don't pay much attention to the Wildcats so don't know anything about Stoop's coaching assistants. If he has a good and dedicated staff as Jones at Tenn. the KY boys could make some noise this coming season. I can tell you that KY fans are hugely excited and have more of an air of belief in their team than I have ever seen since I've lived here. KY charged for admission to the spring scrimmage and 50,000+ people showed up. Tenn. admission for its scrimmage was free and 61,000+ people showed. I honestly believe we beat the UK only because we have a bigger stadium and better parking arrangements.

My personal belief is that Tennessee returns to its usual history of beating KY for the next 26 years or more. Our coach is hauling in serious talent and at a much faster rate than KY. We may even be ranked #1 or #2 nationally in recruiting before Butch is done. Jones has a track record of spotting talent even among lower rated players and coaching them into over-performing and into the pro ranks. That will be seriously challenged in 2014 when our OL and many other players graduate and/or go pro. But it's becoming a sort of census by some rather prominent people across the nation that Tennessee got lucky with getting not just a superb coach but absolutely the right coach for our particular program. He wasn't what the UT wanted originally but the university certainly is happy with what it got. 2013 Prediction: Volunteers - 37 Wildcats - 12, KY scores will mainly be via FGs due to a rabid Vols defense.

Well said.

Last edited:
I will never give up on the vols!!! I am very excited to see whats gonna happen this year. We may lose some games but, Kentucky? I actually had them penciled as a win on our schedule as well as vandy too. I also think there will be an unexpected win 2!

Reactions: 1 person
Well, they do have a State Park called "Big Bone Lick"

And little town (more like a micro village) called Paint Lick. So in addition the uh, ahem, preferred intimate activity, you need to wonder about their mental stability given ingredients found in paint. :crazy:

Listen more closely to your friends. They said they "penciled" it in. That way they can erase it after their first game like every year.

Reactions: 2 people
Mike Stoops will shortly (if he hasn't already) find that the #1 priority for ANY sUcK football coach is this:

Don't EVER do anything that might get the basketball program in trouble.

Job #2 is never forget job #1.

Nothing, and I do mean nothing, else matters in KatLand.

Winning football games?

WAY yonder down the list.

Mike Stoops will shortly (if he hasn't already) find that the #1 priority for ANY sUcK football coach is this:

Don't EVER do anything that might get the basketball program in trouble.

Job #2 is never forget job #1.

Nothing, and I do mean nothing, else matters in KatLand.

Winning football games?

WAY yonder down the list.

I don't doubt for a minute the bulk of what you say above. However, living here in KY and seeing a few things I happen to notice about the UK, something seems to be changing. Stoops got them to actually made a decent 2013 video brief: University of Kentucky Official Athletic Site
Folks are truly excited about the team. The players don't act defeatist, and they seem to be getting attention of recruits i don't believe would even consider the UK in the past. I wouldn't exactly say fear the UK, but I'd say don't take them too lightly this season as it could cost you. I haven't seen this football fanbase as galvanized as it is now.

Last edited:
They have been drinking quite a bit of the Blue Kool aid would be my guess.

They sure have. Living and working with them they feel they got the next great thing. I remind them that he has never been a HC and he isn't walking into a program with a history of winning (like Richt did at UGA). They really think this guy will have them contending for SEC titles.

They sure have. Living and working with them they feel they got the next great thing. I remind them that he has never been a HC and he isn't walking into a program with a history of winning (like Richt did at UGA). They really think this guy will have them contending for SEC titles.

It's the off-season. All there is, is hope.

VN Store

Back