Kentucky's new uni's

I watched the Blue Day or whatever they call it at Rupp on TV the other day.
The checkerboard is a tribute to horse racing in the state, also there is a representation of a square for every national championship with 1 extra for a 2008-2009 title.

I like the Idea, and I like the closer fit on the jerseys, like under armour. But Checkerboards seems cheesy outside of Tennessee, but The National Championships thing is very clever, but I think it could have been done in a more classy way with Kentucky Basketball. I doubt A.Rupp would approve of these Jerseys.....

I like the Idea, and I like the closer fit on the jerseys, like under armour. But Checkerboards seems cheesy outside of Tennessee, but The National Championships thing is very clever, but I think it could have been done in a more classy way with Kentucky Basketball. I doubt A.Rupp would approve of these Jerseys.....

The Baron would have said something like "Take off those godawwwful, sissified dresses and run layups until the hairs on your legs fall off!"

The Baron would have said something like "Take off those godawwwful, sissified dresses and run layups until the hairs on your legs fall off!"

What would Rupp do today if he saw the Kentucky players now-a-days? (as in a certain type of players skin color)

What would Rupp do today if he saw the Kentucky players now-a-days? (as in a certain type of players skin color)

?

Maybe you should do your research before you swallow the "Rupp was a racist" line.

I know he wasn't a racist, That movie just portrayed him as one. I'm stating he never played a black player because of the south's view on it. I'm just wondering what he would say if he saw the entire game of basketball being a "Black Mans game".

I know he wasn't a racist, That movie just portrayed him as one. I'm stating he never played a black player because of the south's view on it. I'm just wondering what he would say if he saw the entire game of basketball being a "Black Mans game".

Untrue. Rupp signed and played Tom Payne in 1970. UK was one of the first schools to integrate in the SEC- and was the first in football. Also, Rupp coached black players at his first high school gig in the 1920s.

Rupp attempted to recruit at least 15 black players in the 1960s (Louisville's Wes Unseld, for example), but none signed for UK.

John Scott, the foremost Kentucky basketball historian, has put together an excellent treatise on this subject- it's good reading.

Adolph Rupp: Fact and Fiction

VN Store

Back