Keys to beating Purdue

They are letting them play so far in the tournament. That swings both ways if Aidoo can't physically keep him from moving to the basket, bully ball. You can either play foul every time he gets close to the basket and make him beat you from the line, or double him with a guard and don't let him dribble. Playing both Awake and Aidoo is an interesting concept since DK is playing better defense lately.

They are letting them play so far in the tournament. That swings both ways if Aidoo can't physically keep him from moving to the basket, bully ball. You can either play foul every time he gets close to the basket and make him beat you from the line, or double him with a guard and don't let him dribble. Playing both Awake and Aidoo is an interesting concept since DK is playing better defense lately.

I'd be surprised if Barnes doesn't have ZZ, Shack, and SV buzzing around Edey any time he puts the ball on the floor. We can't muscle him, but we can make life miserable for him every time he touches it.

There's no way of stopping him just singling up, and we have to prevent kick outs for easy 3's, they feast on that. Doubling from the weak side and having the guards attack his dribble will at least make him uncomfortable.

Reactions: General Jack
I'd be surprised if Barnes doesn't have ZZ, Shack, and SV buzzing around Edey any time he puts the ball on the floor. We can't muscle him, but we can make life miserable for him every time he touches it.

There's no way of stopping him just singling up, and we have to prevent kick outs for easy 3's, they feast on that. Doubling from the weak side and having the guards attack his dribble will at least make him uncomfortable.
I would be surprised if they double Edey often as that puts us in rotation chasing their 3 point shooters. My guess is we will attempt to make Edey try and beat us by himself by playing a smothering defense on the other 4 guys.

We can win this thing if our shooters are on. I don’t see trying to drive it at Edey hoping for foul calls as being a good plan since he’s pretty adept at blocking shots without fouling.

Reactions: Carolinavols
Get the big man in foul trouble and show the world the real MVP go off DK!!!

Nah. That won't do it. Remember, this is Purdue in Detroit with the protected one....Edey. This will take that game where it all comes together as a team....on both ends. By that, I mean we need Knect and ZZ to be their best selves PLUS we have to get JJJ and Aidoo doing the same. Odds of that happening? Then between Mashack, Gainey and what's left of Vecscovi we'll likely need 15-20 pts and incredible defense between the 3 of them. In other words, with what's on the line, you're not going to catch Purdue napping. It will take the best game we're capable of on both ends of the floor. This is not a game I see being favorable to Aidoo, Gainey and Vescovi. Hitching a wagon to those 3 is russian roulette on hardwood. Still, this roster, while quite good, isn't on a level of UConn or Purdue. We've had a spectacular season, IMO. Personally, I never dreamed a team that had so many no show players could possibly string together the wins necessary to make the Elite 8. Had the bracket opened up for us, I'd have a bit loftier hopes today, but it didn't so if the run ends here, so be it. I'll remember this team warmly....warts and all. They've reached their ceiling. Can they break through? Certainly, but if they don't, I certainly won't hold it against them.
It would certainly help. If we’re winning the rebound battle it probably means limiting any second chance opportunities for them and if we’re attacking on offense it will hopefully mean we’re getting to the line for free throws. Gives us a punchers chance at least. I guess I’m also assuming a fairly officiated game…

I would be surprised if they double Edey often as that puts us in rotation chasing their 3 point shooters. My guess is we will attempt to make Edey try and beat us by himself by playing a smothering defense on the other 4 guys.

We can win this thing if our shooters are on. I don’t see trying to drive it at Edey hoping for foul calls as being a good plan since he’s pretty adept at blocking shots without fouling.

I don't disagree and am not advocating straight doubles, but having someone from the weak side going for strips when he puts it on the floor. Keep it random so they don't know where it's coming from.

No doubt we have to shoot well to win, but taking it right at Edey when attacking closeouts is a way to get him in foul trouble.

Last edited:
I say throw My Cade Phillips out there early to rough edey up and get him frustrated, but in all honesty I think we need to see a lot more of Aidoo and Awaka out there together on Edey. Awaka and his strength are our x factor in this one.
Imo, do everthing we can to deny him the ball, and hope they don't hit three's consistantly. Edey will hit 70% of his shots if he gets the ball down low. So deny him getting the ball. And make an average of our 3's and we will be in good shape. I would also drive to the basket right at Edey; he doesn't move very well and we could get him in foul trouble.

I say throw My Cade Phillips out there early to rough edey up and get him frustrated, but in all honesty I think we need to see a lot more of Aidoo and Awaka out there together on Edey. Awaka and his strength are our x factor in this one.
Edey would break Cade in two.

Reactions: cgrish
Nah. That won't do it. Remember, this is Purdue in Detroit with the protected one....Edey. This will take that game where it all comes together as a team....on both ends. By that, I mean we need Knect and ZZ to be their best selves PLUS we have to get JJJ and Aidoo doing the same. Odds of that happening? Then between Mashack, Gainey and what's left of Vecscovi we'll likely need 15-20 pts and incredible defense between the 3 of them. In other words, with what's on the line, you're not going to catch Purdue napping. It will take the best game we're capable of on both ends of the floor. This is not a game I see being favorable to Aidoo, Gainey and Vescovi. Hitching a wagon to those 3 is russian roulette on hardwood. Still, this roster, while quite good, isn't on a level of UConn or Purdue. We've had a spectacular season, IMO. Personally, I never dreamed a team that had so many no show players could possibly string together the wins necessary to make the Elite 8. Had the bracket opened up for us, I'd have a bit loftier hopes today, but it didn't so if the run ends here, so be it. I'll remember this team warmly....warts and all. They've reached their ceiling. Can they break through? Certainly, but if they don't, I certainly won't hold it against them.
It’s funny that the one year we catch no breaks with the bracket is the year we go on a run. I like our chances today. I said after the Maui game I wanted them again, that we would see them again and would beat them. I came away from that first game thinking we’re better than Purdue. Today we prove it.

Reactions: sami
I don’t think that pounding on Edey will be effective. Avoid fouling ans long as possible and limit their free throws. Maybe front him and attempt to deny passes to him but let him have his dunks when their pass reaches him. No and ones.

I don’t think that pounding on Edey will be effective. Avoid fouling ans long as possible and limit their free throws. Maybe front him and attempt to deny passes to him but let him have his dunks when their pass reaches him. No and ones.

Absolutely. 2's don't create runs, but allowing them to string together 3's would be a killer. If Edey gets 30 and the guards are chased off the 3 pt. line all day, we win if we are efficient offensively and shoot at least our average.

I would like to see ZZ, SV, and Shack attacking Edey from the weak side if he puts it on the floor. Make him think about every move he makes, but limit kick outs and as you said - no 'and-ones'.

1. Limit fouls as much as possible against Edey. If team is playing Cade Phillips we're in trouble.
2. Defend better guarding 3 pointers. If Edey goes for 40 points is one thing but I'll die if another white Purdue guard goes for 30 points.
3. Obvious but hit open shots at decent clip from 3 (~34%).
4. Balanced scoring and if all else fails Knecht going supernova
Look at the last box score. We held their main guard to 6 points. A dude who averaged 10 a game went off for 27. Other than that we played everyone great.

VN Store

Back