Kippy Brown will be Lions OC

Let me get this straight. You say that internet message board posts are not legitimate sources. However, you are now furious because someone is spreading the rumor via these same illegitimate internet posts that a guy might retire? I realize you are angry with me because I am questioning the Kippy Brown hire, but get over it.

Wrong, I could care less what hire you question.

The part I don't get about the Kippy Brown retirement rumor is that he's just not that old.

I can't figure that out, either. He's old compared to Trooper, but young for retirement.

CAUTIONARY NOTE: THE FOLLOWING IS PURELY SPECULATION.

It might be possible that he potentially has some sort of possible health problem that might not be known publicly, possibly. A lot of guys in their fifties develop heart conditions. If that's the case a high-stress environment like the NFL wouldn't be the best place.

It might be possible that he potentially has some sort of possible health problem that might not be known publicly, possibly. A lot of guys in their fifties develop heart conditions. If that's the case a high-stress environment like the NFL wouldn't be the best place.

You would think that has to be the case, because I can't imagine that he's made enough at his age to be independently wealthy for the rest of his life without having ever made mega bucks as a head coach.

You would think that has to be the case, because I can't imagine that he's made enough at his age to be independently wealthy for the rest of his life without having ever made mega bucks as a head coach.

How much do NFL assistants make? I'd say he's doing okay for himself.

The part I don't get about the Kippy Brown retirement rumor is that he's just not that old.
From what I can tell, Kippy came perilously close to being fired last year and it was more or less an 11th hour decision to keep him on the Lions' staff. In the meantime, Kippy entertained the idea of joining Grambling's staff. That is something I read from a person who reports the Lions, not a chatboard rumor. Knowing those facts makes it easy to believe the retirement rumors; however, the new news about him possibly being named OC at Detroit completely contradicts the prior rumor for the time being. I just cannot belive that the guy would not want to redeem himself at the pro level. I have heard that Detroit is one good RB away from a good offense and a sustained turnaround of a couple of years might even get Kippy a serious look for an NFL hc position. I guess we all have to wait and see.

Now, that's a well-qualified speculative statement. Thanks!:)

I don't think the retirement rumor has any truth to it. He may have a strong preference to get back to the Knoxville area, but my SPECULATION would include plans to work in some capacity. That's why I haven't discounted the possibility that he could join as a position / assistant head coach. That speculation may need to be updated now that he may be offered the OC job for the Lions. That would appear to be a hard job from him to reject.

From what I can tell, Kippy came perilously close to being fired last year and it was more or less an 11th hour decision to keep him on the Lions' staff. In the meantime, Kippy entertained the idea of joining Grambling's staff. That is something I read from a person who reports the Lions, not a chatboard rumor. Knowing those facts makes it easy to believe the retirement rumors; however, the new news about him possibly being named OC at Detroit completely contradicts the prior rumor for the time being. I just cannot belive that the guy would not want to redeem himself at the pro level. I have heard that Detroit is one good RB away from a good offense and a sustained turnaround of a couple of years might even get Kippy a serious look for an NFL hc position. I guess we all have to wait and see.

Do you recall if the article you read discussed who wanted to fire him at Detroit? If it was the OC who is getting canned, it may be that the HC or GM thought differently.

How much do NFL assistants make? I'd say he's doing okay for himself.

Even if he's making low 6 figures though, he'd have to have a ton stuck in savings to retire at the same standard of living at the age of 52. He wouldn't be able to tap into 401k or IRA until 59 1/2 and probably can't get pension benefits until he's in his 60s.

but utmba93, it's so unlike you to be optimistic about your views.

I'm guessing you mean optimistic about hiring KB.

I'm optimisitic about a lot of the names that CPF has been considering for the OC job. I have preferences, but a lot of these coaches warrant the consideration they've been given, IMO.

.....and I just don't think it matters much. we'll still have to overcome CPF, which is a tall order.

.....and I just don't think it matters much. we'll still have to overcome CPF, which is a tall order.

In the end, CPF could be the Andrew Carnegie of CFB surrounding himself with so much superior intellect that we'll never know how smart he really was. Someday our grandkids will be able to debate it right here on the VN.:)

bush did that as well, but eventually his ego led him to believe he was the smart one. hasn't worked out that well since

i just don't see phil ever letting it get far from his roots, plus he's going to continue going full on prevent mode (offensively and defensively) with any leads.

That's probably true, but the right people can make that work. Bear Bryant was pretty darn good at it, if you recall. Defense has to be alot better than what we've fielded lately.

VN Store

Back