KU v UNC

Unlike UCLA, Kansas has a frontcourt that is fully capable of exploiting Memphis if Dorsey has an off night. I highly doubt CDR will be bullying Brandon Rush on every other possession like he did Collison and Westbrook.
Rush isn't the defender that Westbrook is.

You want to shut down CDR, you really need him to have an off night like he did against us. Otherwise, he can frickin' score on anybody.

Hey Hat, do you think Cal leaves Memphis after this year? I have heard a small talk about it, but would like your thoughts.
Only if someone in the NBA throws insane money at him. There aren't going to be any college jobs open that would merit him moving.

Rush isn't the defender that Westbrook is.

You want to shut down CDR, you really need him to have an off night like he did against us. Otherwise, he can frickin' score on anybody.

I disagree. Rush's length will make up the difference defensively. The best way to stop CDR is a collapsing man-to-man. You beat Memphis by limiting their penetration opportunities.

Most insiteful, and absolutely can't miss prediction.

Do you agree with popular opinion that UT loss helped get Memphis into final four?
no, talent, good play and good coaching are the typical ingredients. Ls, not so much.

Most insiteful, and absolutely can't miss prediction.

Do you agree with popular opinion that UT loss helped get Memphis into final four?
No. I don't see anything they would have learned from that game that would have led to their play the last three games.

I disagree. Rush's length will make up the difference defensively. The best way to stop CDR is a collapsing man-to-man. You beat Memphis by limiting their penetration opportunities.
you don't have much evidence to support that "beating Memphis" theory.

Keep it up. The Tigers are assuredly depending on your assesments to formulate their game plan..

02/23/08 was pretty definitive. Tim Floyd's triangle-and-2 also gave the Tigers some fits.
we did not play a collapsing man d. they just played horrendously. worst game I've ever seen from CDR and Dozier. there was nothing else definitive about it.

tim Floyd's team departed with a L and that was a different Rose. He would kill Mayo right now because he's making the mid-range jumper.

we did not play a collapsing man d. they just played horrendously. worst game I've ever seen from CDR and Dozier. there was nothing else definitive about it.

tim Floyd's team departed with a L and that was a different Rose. He would kill Mayo right now because he's making the mid-range jumper.

Yes, we did.

we did not. Rose scored about 400 points because we didn't. CDR just couldn't make one and we rebounded out of our minds to win that game.

No, Rose finally found the soft spot on the left baseline in the second half. I was sitting directly behind the Tennessee bench at the Forum. Jason Shay scouted Memphis about as well as I've seen all season.

Some quotes from Jason after the game:

employed a collapsing man-to-man defense in limiting Memphis (26-1) to eight baskets in the paint, a season-low 27 second-half points, and as far as anyone can remember, no dunks.

"We call that our '10' defense,'' said UT assistant Jason Shay, who did the scouting report on No. 1-ranked and previously unbeaten Memphis. "You get in the gaps and shrink the court.''

They used backside help to deter drives to the basket. Which left some of the baseline ripe for the picking (as Rose found out in the second half).

No. I don't see anything they would have learned from that game that would have led to their play the last three games.

The theory I'm hearing from people like Digger Phelps and Billy Donovan is the loss to UT took away the pressure of going into the tourney undefeated.They could concentrate on just playing each game without thinking of losing that first game. Also it was the so called "wake up call" for them.

No, Rose finally found the soft spot on the left baseline in the second half. I was sitting directly behind the Tennessee bench at the Forum. Jason Shay scouted Memphis about as well as I've seen all season.
Gib Arnold gave everyone the blueprint. Shay just piggybacked and not as well. Look at the two games, USC loses because they miss a FT. Tennessee wins because Dozier misses a layup he'll make 99 out of 100 times.

Only if someone in the NBA throws insane money at him. There aren't going to be any college jobs open that would merit him moving.

He has the city by the man parts right now, they would rename i-40 to Coach Cals Really long road if he asked for it.

Do you think CDR is gone? I think so, if they win monday, for sure

Some quotes from Jason after the game:

employed a collapsing man-to-man defense in limiting Memphis (26-1) to eight baskets in the paint, a season-low 27 second-half points, and as far as anyone can remember, no dunks.

"We call that our '10' defense,'' said UT assistant Jason Shay, who did the scouting report on No. 1-ranked and previously unbeaten Memphis. "You get in the gaps and shrink the court.''

They used backside help to deter drives to the basket. Which left some of the baseline ripe for the picking (as Rose found out in the second half).
the collapsing D wasn't the difference and didn't look that collapsing to me. Memphis played collapsing offense is how it appeared.

Collapsing Man is just words. They played a man d. Overuse of help (I don't know what backside means) doesn't leave the baseline open. It leaves players open and their job is to go to the hole. Our collapsing man left many people open, but they simply couldn't make one. CDR makes absurd looking shots all the tim, but missed everything in the lane. He and Rose play like they have been lately against us, that wasn't a ballgame.

I'm usually with you, hatvol, but does the name T. Boone Pickens strike a note for you? We at Kansas are hearing that Pickens is prepared to pay Self in excess of 40 million dollars to coach at Oklahoma State (his alma mater)--4 million for 10 years, or something similar.

I wonder what kind of money Pickens would offer Calipari?

As for being worried at Kansas, I have to say that Self has done a ton better job than Roy of showing us that the gossip is NOT a distraction this week. As for the future, who knows?

Enjoyed this thread--although I do realize more of you were more anti-North Carolina than pro-KU...

We Jayhawks knew that Carolina was a great matchup for us--we've seen Roy's thoroughbreds against Bill's Rottweilers once before in the tournament about 2001 or so!

As for Memphis, I have never, ever heard so much bragging from a team and a coach in my life. There is not even the pretence of sportsmanlike humility. Memphis, like most of the media, think the KU victory over Carolina was an upset. It wasn't. Memphis, on paper, is not the great matchup for us that Carolina was, but, if the Memphis guys keep running their mouths, they just might make this into KU's best game of the tournament!

Rock Chalk!

Memphis, on paper, is not the great matchup for us that Carolina was, but, if the Memphis guys keep running their mouths, they just might make this into KU's best game of the tournament!
Exactly, KU was more talented than UNC. They are relatively even with Memphis if Aldrich brings it again.

VN Store

Back