Lady Vols⚽️#23 Tennessee @ Alabama 7PM Sunday 9/22 ESPNU

So last week when players were injured on the field and required assistance, the clock was stopped.

About 10 minutes ago an ETSU player was injured and needed assistance and the clock kept running--probably lost 3-4 minutes of playing time.

A moment ago, there was another injured player needing assistance and the clock was stopped. I don't know what the rule is--but for chrissake sake the referee should know and be consistent about it.

Good win. Anyone know how good the SEC is this year

Hard to be specific--but it is always very competitive.

I just took a peek at Arkansas playing Oregon and the hogs were up 4-0 with a half still to play. Arkansas is very good at putting the ball in the net.

South Carolina is almost never flashy but very well coached and very hard to score on. Vandy plays good soccer. Georgia has a former national champ coach from Southern Cal and that program will probably be stout soon--if it's not stout already.

Texas A&M has lost two tough one-goal games late--one to Florida State, one of the best teams in the country, and the other to Washington State, a team that was in the College Cup (Final Four) three years ago. So the Aggies will be tough.

LSU lost to South Florida but is ahead of a good Texas team by a 3-1 score with 10 minutes remaining.

Florida and Kentucky were at the bottom of the conference last year and are trying to regroup, so those are two matches we absolutely must win given our tough schedule. We also play at Mississippi State--trip to middle of nowhere--and they are always tough and physical at home.

Upshot: With all of our inexperience and injuries and spotty play, I think it's going to be a big challenge for us. Who is going to score goals for us besides Simmonds? Fusco is an excellent all-around player and gets shots but just doesn't spot her shots well. She takes some shots off-balance and just needs to shoot better. We always want to rush play in the attacking half--we are not a patient, possession team but play direct a lot. That can put pressure on the opponent but we also give the ball away needlessly, with speculative passes, a lot. We have a lot of new players, players without much experience, players who have talent but weaknesses as well---and trying to get the group to mesh well is the holy grail.

We'll have a better idea of what we are when we play Indiana and SMU. We certainly aren't going to learn much with these weak opponents--and mighty Radford and Florida Atlantic (losing 0-3 to Ok. State) still to come.

Other SEC soccer scores:

Georgia scored two goals in the last 7 minutes to turn what looked like a 0-1 defeat to Central Florida into a 2-1 victory. They scored
in the last minute on a complete cockup by the CF centerbacks. A long ball from Georgia bounced past one of the CF CBs, then the other came over and over-ran the ball and so a Georgia forward swooped in, took the ball and scored the winning goal. Choke job by CF.

LSU with a good 3-1 win over Texas.
Bama beat Lipscomb by 3-1.
Kentucky beat Murray State 2-1. Murray State was pretty competitive with the wildcats, I heard.
Florida outplayed Miami but couldn't put the ball in the net and the game ended in a 0-0 tie.

Simmonds Brace Leads UT To 3-1 Win Over ETSU

IMG_3530.jpeg

Box Score KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – Sophomore Kameron Simmonds netted the second brace of her career as Tennessee improved to 3-0 on the season, taking a 3-1 victory over ETSU in Regal Stadium on Thursday.

In addition to Simmonds' pair of goals, UT got a third as a result of a Buccaneers (1-1-1) own goal. Graduate Nayeli Diaz and redshirt-senior Giselle Washington earned assists on the night.

Redshirt-freshman Abby Reisz and redshirt-sophomore Ally Zazzara split time in the net, with Reisz earning the start and making one save, and Zazzara logging one save and one goal allowed.

Sinoxolo Cesane was the goal-scorer for ETSU. The Bucs keeper, Knoxville-native Ashton Blair, stayed busy, making 10 saves on the night.

The Lady Vols dominated possession early, getting off nine shots, five of which were on frame in the opening 15 minutes.

Simmonds put UT on the board in the 20th minute, running onto a cross from Diaz and one-touching it past the keeper from eight yards out.

The Big Orange peppered the ETSU goal with 17 first-half shots, forcing Blair into eight saves, but the score remained 1-0 through the break.

ETSU leveled the score in the 57th minute when Cesane hammered a ball into the back of the net.

Fusco weaved through the Buccaneers' defense 90 seconds later, ripping a blast from 20 yards out, but it sailed just high of the crossbar.

The Lady Vols went back up by one in the 62nd minute when freshman Kate Runyon sent a well-placed cross into the box, and an attempt to clear it over the endline resulted in an own goal for ETSU.

Simmonds struck again in the 72nd minute, chasing down a serve from Washington and taking a touch before beating the keeper far post.

The Lady Vols got a chance to make it four in the closing minutes when Fusco bent a ball around the Bucs wall on a free kick, but Blair made the diving save to maintain the two-goal deficit through the final whistle.

UP NEXT: Tennessee will head back out on the road, traveling to Dallas for an 8 p.m. ET matchup against SMU on Sunday.

SIMMONDS ON FIRE: With a brace against ETSU, Simmonds moves her goal count to a team-leading four on the season. She has scored those goals on eight shots, all of which have been on frame for a perfect shot-on-goal percentage.

FIRST STARTS: Junior Jenna Chatterton and redshirt-freshman Abigail Reisz made their first collegiate starts against the Buccaneers, while graduate transfers Samantha Agresti and Nayeli Diaz made their first starts as Lady Vols.

It's hard to know anything about missing players. Kirt doesn't do postmatch or other pressers very often, and when he does we
don't get much info. He was asked about Thomas recently, and I believe he said she was "day to day" and was close to ready to play,
but reporters didn't ask about other players who are out. Dipasupil was on the sidelines last night and smiling; didn't notice any crutches
or anything, as I saw with Katz.

It's hard to know anything about missing players. Kirt doesn't do postmatch or other pressers very often, and when he does we
don't get much info. He was asked about Thomas recently, and I believe he said she was "day to day" and was close to ready to play,
but reporters didn't ask about other players who are out. Dipasupil was on the sidelines last night and smiling; didn't notice any crutches
Well at least Simmonds played in the middle some last night. Jaida looks like she could play but no word. She warms up before each game but does not play. Watching Nelson she is not very good but is doing basketball a solid keeping Sandi around. Hofman and Michel? are strong additions. Coaches showed some fight on the sidelines at least. Kirk mixed it up some so maybe he can learn. Sunday will tell a lot.

Last edited:
Did you see the debut of “Everything Orange” podcast? Peyton was the first guest. Published by UT Athletics. Mentioned the recent soccer success and upcoming soccer schedule.

Reactions: knoxvol52
We have a good volleyball match going on at this time. Lead Texas state 1-0. Surprised to see ole Caylan Benedict Arnold doing color tonight. Must not take much experience to call volleyball now days!!

A former softball pitcher analyzing a volleyball match? Bizarre, as she certainly didn't play VB in college--and I doubt in high-school either.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Excited to get a commitment from a Southern California player who plays for Slammers--which is a prominent ECNL club. I don't know
anything about her--save for being a 3-star on Top Drawer and one or two awards---but the club pedigree is good.

RE Stott of Bearden: haven't seen much on her. There is a highlight clip but I didn't see many highlights, and I don't think she has a Top Drawer profile either. The coaches obviously like something about her.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD

VN Store

Back