Lady Vols⚽️#23 Tennessee @ Alabama 7PM Sunday 9/22 ESPNU

On the goal, it looks like Nelson, who was guarding the far post, could have just come out and headed the ball away. Instead she just stands there and are keeper dives over to punch the ball away--but not far enough away. You have to be pro-active, not stand around and wait for others to make plays.

Could have been worst I guess. Why Kirk will not play Simmonds and Runyon at the same time is beyond me. Teams just have one player to mark. Fusco I’m not sure could score on an open net at this point bless her heart

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
I think Agresti--not sure it was her, but looks like her on the tape--was one player at serious fault on the 2nd arky goal. She should have been out challenging the ball; instead, she's dropped too deep and is marking no one and so the player with the ball has all day to send a cross in the box, and then of course the 2nd problem is that we had two players in position to head the ball away, but neither could do it. We have to get better play out of our defensive mids. Defenders cannot sink too deep when defending and give the ball lots of space out front--a major no-no--and we do it a lot.

We could be a top 10/15 program consistently if we had a top coach. I didn't see the game--sitting in Vancouver airport!--but we
had 16 shots but only 5 on goal. That's not good enough. Fusco with 5 shots, 1 on goal. An excellent player whose shooting and shot placement
are just woeful. She should have spent all summer shooting the ball as she had the same problem last year. Maybe she did practice--but if so, it didn't help. Arkansas with 10 shots--but 7 on goal. We had double the number of arky corners--8 to 4.

Simmonds with only 1 shot for the game. We have to get her more shots.

The other thing is that you aren't going to get a result against any quality team when you give up 3 goals. The way to get results in soccer is, first and foremost, play great defense and don't give up goals.

Defensive lapses cost us in this game, but I will say our effort was there from most. We just struggle on the outside defensively.

Runyon and Simmonds did play together some.

The score was misleading because this was a very hard fought physical game. I'd love to see the possession percentages because in person it was pretty close.

Good news is defensive help is on the way as I sat next to a future Lady Vol defender.

Great crowd tonight. We have to win some of these to make sure the support stays

Attachments

• 20230915_192608.jpg
    20230915_192608.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 6
Runyon free Simmonds and that’s when we almost scored. Arkansas was marking Simmonds with at least two players all the time. Runyon running the middle at least made them account for her.

Reactions: MAD
Even more trouble awaits as I believe that Simmonds is leaving for Jamaican national-team duty within days--and the international window is usually, I think, at least 2 weeks. Not sure when exactly it starts, but very soon.

Reactions: MAD

Lady Vols Drop Game To #11 Arkansas, 3-1​

IMG_3870.jpeg

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – The Lady Vols suffered a 3-1 loss to No. 11 Arkansas in a hard-fought contest on Friday night in Regal Stadium.

A crowd of 1,794 came out to watch UT's SEC opener, the kickoff of which was delayed 45 minutes from the original 7 p.m. ET start time due to travel issues for Arkansas.

Senior Lawson Renie was the goal scorer for UT (5-2-1, 0-1 SEC). Redshirt-sophomore Ally Zazzara made the start in goal, earning four saves, and redshirt-freshman Abby Reisz took over in the second half.

Bea Franklin scored two goals for Arkansas (4-3-1, 1-0 SEC), and Sophia Aragon landed the third. Sierra Cota-Yarde made four saves in the net.

"We didn't finish on set pieces. We did a pretty good job overall, but we didn't do enough on a few occasions," said Tennessee head coach Joe Kirt.

"Dealing with the throw-ins, dealing with the corners - we knew they were talented at that. That's their strength, and we weren't good enough today in that area. I'm proud of our team's effort, their fight and the chances we created… our team's performance and effort today was tremendous."

Freshman Linette Hofmann made a run early, breaking into UT's offensive third and receiving a pass from sophomore Macaira Midgley that she put on frame, but Cota-Yarde made the save.

The Razorbacks got on the board in the 12th minute, capitalizing on a corner kick. Anna Podojil got off the initial shot, which Zazzara saved, but Bea Franklin got the rebound eight yards out and buried it far post.

Zazzara came up clutch in the 25th minute, shutting down a one-on-one attack by Ava Tankersley with a kick save.

Renie leveled the score in the 29th minute, getting a head on a corner kick by sophomore Ally Brown and driving it into the net from 12 yards out.

Arkansas was back on top 90 seconds later, with Franklin redirecting a serve from Kiley Dulaney into the goal, and the 2-1 score held through the end of the first.

Midgley got loose in the midfield and ripped a shot from 25 yards out three and a half minutes into the second half, but it sailed just over the crossbar. She got another look in the 62nd minute, putting that one on frame, but Cota-Yarde came up with the save.

The Razorbacks got their third of the night when Emilee Hauser sent a ball into the box and Aragon ran onto it and one-touched it into the net with 18 minutes left in the game.

Midgley got another quality chance in the 85th minute, diving to connect on a shot, but the ball ricocheted off the inside of the left post before being cleared by the UA defense.

Freshman Kate Runyon found Fusco breaking into the box with just under two minutes left in the contest, and Fusco got the shot off, but a Razorback defender put a toe in front of it to force the corner. Graduate Samantha Agresti was on the end of the ball played in by Brown, but her shot missed wide left.

The Lady Vols got another corner before the end of play but couldn't convert, as the clock wound down with a final score of 3-1.

UP NEXT: The Lady Vols will continue conference play at home, hosting Florida at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday.

VN Store

Back