Lady Vols⚽️#23 Tennessee @ Alabama 7PM Sunday 9/22 ESPNU

We should have tried to play our offense through fusco in the middle but most of them he time it was brown on the side who is too slow in speed and decision making. Also for their experience Nelson and Renie are not good.

I thought Brown was pretty good in the first half--and Fusco had a lot of the ball. Fusco played very well. in the first half, and team overall, IMO, played fairly solidly against a georgia team that, on the whole, looked bigger and more physical and a bit more athletic than we are. We had three or four free kicks, after fouls, deep in georgia's defensive half--and while there were some good deliveries from Hofmann, we could not take advantage. We are a terrible team in the air--have no one who can get a head on a ball except, very occasionally, Renie.

We are not a bad team, by any means, but we're not a good team, either. We don't score enough, and we aren't good enough defensively to lock teams down. Our overall team athleticism and pace is average--fine at some positions, but not so good at others.

The first half--and I think most of the game--was fairly stretched--but after we scored the very nice transition goal in the first minute, we didn't really create any good shooting/scoring chances //in transition// after that whereas georgia had two or three dangerous counterattacks. I'm not sure why teams get more transition opportunities against us than we do against the opposition; it may be because of the team speed issue--Hofmann is not fast, and neither is Renie nor Brown. Renie and Brown are not slow--but you'd want a bit more pace/recovery speed in defensive players. Renie, like Nelson, has a long, lopey running style that is not ideal for soccer as it takes them too long to get going. Soccer is really a quick-burst, quick-feet sport.

Our wide forwards, Nelson and Simmonds, have been....not good this year. Not good at all, if we want to be candid. Kirt has made a mistake, IMO, by playing Nelson far more than she should be playing. She does not have the speed or quicks to be an effective forward at this level. She's not dynamic and doesn't really put enough pressure on a defense. She can get to the end line occasionally to get in a cross, but on the whole is just an average player. Diaz should be playing more. But Kirt clearly loves Nelson, despite the fact that she's got 0 assists and 0 goals in 7 SEC games. She's never been a scorer--at all--and yet he has her take a key PK against Kentucky, which she doesn't put in the net.

Simmonds, likewise, has 0 assists and 0 goals. She is good and strong at hold-up play, when the ball comes to her--but she's not created any chances for herself or anyone else, really, in 7 SEC games. Her off-ball play does not seem especially good or effective, and she doesn't beat any opponents down the field on counters. She's got wonderful physical qualities-- size and athleticism and pretty good pace--but it is just not happening for her on the wing. She's rather stiff athletically--doesn't seem to have the quicks and fluidity of movement that really good forwards have. She seems far more suited to center forward than wide forward--but if she played CF would she be be an upgrade over Runyon, who's been impressive? Brown is a more polished winger than Simmonds, frankly: Not as strong or as physical, to be sure, but she makes better decisions with and without the ball, is pretty quick and can /create/. How many good crosses as Simmonds put into the box this season? I can't think of many at all.

Nelson and Simmonds certainly aren't the sole reason for our troubles--but they haven't helped. The numbers speak for themselves.

Right now we're looking at not making either the SEC or NCAA tourney. Quite the falloff in two years.

Last edited:

Lady Vols Fall To Georgia, 2-1​

IMG_4282.jpeg

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- The Lady Vols suffered a 2-1 setback against Georgia on Friday in Regal Stadium.

Freshman Kate Runyon found the net for the Lady Vols (6-4-4, 1-3-3 SEC) off an assist from junior Jordan Fusco. Redshirt-freshman Abby Reisz made the start in goal, and redshirt-sophomore Ally Zazzara took over in the second half, recording one save.

Hannah White and Summer Denigan were the goal-scorers for the Bulldogs (7-3-4, 3-2-2 SEC). In goal, Jordan Brown logged three saves.

"We continued to get chances," said Tennessee head coach Joe Kirt.

"(We) continued to fight and compete. This team has great heart. The crowd tonight was fantastic. (I'm) incredibly disappointed in the result, because our team left it out there, and they continued to fight for 90 minutes. We have a lot left to play for. (I'm) disappointed in the result, and disappointed for our team, but they continued to fight for 90 minutes, and I'm proud of them for that."

The Lady Vols wasted no time getting on the board, going up by one 30 seconds into the game when Fusco played a ball to Runyon in the box who ricocheted a shot off the left goalpost and into the net from eight yards out.

Georgia leveled the score a minute later when White ripped a shot from the edge of the box and placed it far post.

Fusco put a shot on frame in the 12th minute, forcing Brown into a diving save, but neither team was able to find the net again before the end of the first half.

Fusco put another shot low and on frame three minutes into the second half. Brown knocked it over the end line to give UT a corner kick, but UGA was able to clear.

The Bulldogs went up 2-1 with 16:25 left to go in the match when Mallie Mckenzie drove toward the end line and played a ball back to Denigan who buried it from just inside the box.

With just under three minutes remaining, Runyon blasted a shot from the top of the box, but Brown collected the save, and Georgia ran out the clock for the 2-1 victory.

UP NEXT: The Lady Vols will hit the road, traveling to Columbia for a 7 p.m. ET matchup on Thursday.

Tennessee soccer falls to Georgia despite early goal​

IMG_4285.jpeg

A goal within 30 seconds for Tennessee soccer ultimately wasn’t enough as the Lady Vols fell short against the Bulldogs 2-1.

Tennessee (6-4-4, 1-3-3 SEC) played well in what was a hotly contested game against top of the division Georgia (7-3-4, 3-2-2 SEC), but once again fell short.

Here are three takeaways from tonight’s loss.

Electrifying Start

Friday night’s game between SEC East foes began frantically as each team found the back of the net in the opening moments.

The Lady Vols fired in first, as a powerful Jordan Fusco run resulted in a through ball to Kate Runyon. In a one on one with the keeper, the freshman forward slotted home her fourth goal of the season just 20 seconds into the game. The assist from Fusco highlighted just how much her playmaking ability was missed in the game against LSU.

“I think I really let the team down,” Fusco said. “Getting the red card and not being able to play Sunday, so I definitely wanted to come out and try to make the most of it.”

However, the Tennessee lead was short lasting. Georgia found itself immediately back in the game as a curled shot from Hannah White found the top corner for her fourth goal of the season.

White’s distance from effort was picture perfect, leaving Tennessee goalkeeper Abby Reisz with little chance. The rest of the first half was stark in contrast to the opening minutes as each team looked relatively cagey.

Georgia registered five chances to the Lady Vols’ four and largely had the better opportunities. However, neither team was able to capitalize on their opportunities after the opening minutes.

Lady Vols struggling as SEC tournament looms

Back to back losses for the Lady Vols has them sitting outside the SEC tournament spots.

Tennessee was in 11th place in the SEC before tonight's game, just outside of the top ten spots that qualify for the tournament. Georgia came into the game first in the SEC, despite being only seventh in the SEC overall standings.

Although the game was tightly contested throughout, Tennessee once again was unable to secure a much needed victory.

“I’m incredibly disappointed in the result,” head coach Joe Kirt said. “Because our team left it out there and they continued to fight for 90 minutes.”

The loss tonight puts the Lady Vols at five games without a win. The results haven’t been all bad in this period with a massive comeback against Mississippi State and a hard fought point against a ranked Kentucky team.

However, Tennessee simply hasn’t been able to win games.

For much of the season, the focus has been on the lack of finishing prowess for the Lady Vols. However, Georgia was largely able to stifle the vols creative influences and limited major chances for Tennessee.

Fusco was influential early but waned as the game went on. Mac Midgley was similarly energetic and influential throughout the first half, but like her midfield partner Fusco, began to fade, especially once moved to a deeper position.

Both of Tennessee’s performances against both LSU and Georgia started with extreme promise.

However, the team as a whole seemed to fade in both games and slowly allowed for their opponents to become more prominent in the attacking third.

An injury to star forward Kameron Simmonds in the first half only served to exacerbate the issues for the Lady Vols.

Goalkeeper Dilemma

In every game so far in the Lady Vols season, the goalkeepers have split time. The typical rotation has been one half for Reisz and the other Ally Zazzara, the senior keeper.

Both have been in largely excellent form, with Reisz allowing seven goals this season to Zazzara’s ten. However, Zazzara boasts a slightly higher save percentage.

The goalkeeper tandem has made crucial saves at times, while avoiding many major mistakes.

A hot goalkeeper could be essential for a deep run in the SEC tournament if Tennessee is able to qualify. However, Kirt still has no intentions to decide on a number one anytime soon.

“Both of them are doing well,” Kirt said. “Managing the game and making plays, not much either could do on the goals.”

Reisz and Zazzara are both likely to feature again in the Lady Vols upcoming away game as Tennessee travels to Missouri for their third to
final regular season game.

Tennessee soccer loses to Georgia 2-1, winless streak extends to five games​

IMG_4287.jpeg

After scoring just 20 seconds into the game, Tennessee soccer allowed two goals in a 2-1 loss to Georgia.

The Lady Vols (6-4-4, 1-3-3 SEC) have not won in their last five games and are on a two-game losing streak. The Bulldogs (7-3-4, 3-2-2) extend their lead in the SEC East.

“I’m incredibly disappointed in the result because our team left it out there and they continue to fight for 90 minutes,” head coach Joe Kirt said. “We’ve got a lot left to play for.”

After her one-game suspension due to a red card, Jordan Fusco made an immediate impact on the game. She made a massive run and played a through ball to Kate Runyon, who put her shot off the post for her fourth goal of the season just 20 seconds into the game.

“It was a great way to start the game,” Fusco said. “I picked up the ball in midfield and just dribbled. Kate made a great run, and I just laid it off to her and she did what she needed to do.”

However, the Bulldogs struck back within a minute. Hannah White curled a shot from just inside the box past Abby Reisz to level the game. Just two minutes into the contest, each team had its opening goal.

“They put it in the corner, and then she comes inside and hits a pretty good shot to the top corner,” Kirt said. “We have got to defend that a little bit better.”

Tennessee’s next big chance came in the 11th minute, but Kameron Simmonds could not get a clean touch on Fusco’s free kick. Fusco tried from distance a minute later, but Jordan Brown saved her attempt at goal. Both teams got a few more chances, but neither were able to put another shot on target in the first half.

Kirt wishes his team played with a bit more urgency at times in the first half.

“There’s moments where we can catch them in transition, but the game got really stretched at times,” Kirt said. “We’ve got to be able to slow down and keep it.”

The Lady Vols began the second half in control, with Fusco forcing Brown to make a save four minutes into the half. The next big chance went to Georgia in the 58th minute, as Croix Bethune got a light touch on an aerial ball towards goal. Ally Zazzara was able to keep it out with her first save since coming on for the second half.

Georgia took the lead in the 73rd minute as Summer Denigan’s shot found its way past Zazzara after an assist from Mallie McKenzie. As they had many times before, the Lady Vols found themselves playing from behind.

Even though they were able to create a few more chances, the Lady Vols could not find the equalizer in the time remaining. Fusco and Runyon each got one shot away.

“I definitely played higher towards the end of the game, which is something you have to do when you’re down a goal,” Fusco said.

With the loss, Tennessee will remain on the outside of the 10 teams that earn spots in the SEC tournament at the end of the regular season. Wins will be incredibly important for the Lady Vols with just three games remaining.

“Ultimately, it comes down to what we do in both boxes,” Kirt said. “Their keeper made some plays. Ally and Abby did a good job, but we need to make one or two more.”

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Kirt needs to try some different personnel combinations and/or different formations. The man locks into one setup, with one set of players--and does not change or adapt. He didn't last year--played the same people in the same formation from beginning to end of the season--and he's done the VERY same thing this season, even though the season is not going well. When the season is not going well, you try different players, different formations--something. If you, the coach, are not doing that, then the program has a problem.

Simmonds has not worked out wide, clearly, and neither has Nelson. Put Greiner out there--she is fast and quick and works hard--and see what she can do. She has the pace to put pressure on a defense. Play Diaz more. Change things up--it's what the coach is supposed to do when what you've been doing ain't working.

Last edited:
This is what bothers me about our soccer program…

Look at the video Georgia puts out for an away game.
This is class.
We can’t even get an away photo when they post the results.

Plus, Kirt does no interviews or pressers. Texas A&M and other coaches have pressers every week. Maybe we don't have enough press interest? There isn't going to be if you never have them (and if your team is playing badly). It's chicken and egg--you have to have pressers to generate interest. As mentioned, the vollyball coach has 3 pressers in just over 3 weeks.

This is what bothers me about our soccer program…

Look at the video Georgia puts out for an away game.
This is class.
We can’t even get an away photo when they post the results.

I hate to agree with @turbovol so vehemently but this is ********. Did Pensky take his broadcast/marketing Graduate Assistants with him or what?
I follow my high school football program on YouTube. Live weekly broadcasts and a midweek coaches show. It’s been available for years already. Somebody needs to step up. Ya busy turbo? 😉

Kirt needs to try some different personnel combinations and/or different formations. The man locks into one setup, with one set of players--and does not change or adapt. He didn't last year--played the same people in the same formation from beginning to end of the season--and he's done the VERY same thing this season, even though the season is not going well. When the season is not going well, you try different players, different formations--something. If you, the coach, are not doing that, then the program has a problem.

Simmonds has not worked out wide, clearly, and neither has Nelson. Put Greiner out there--she is fast and quick and works hard--and see what she can do. She has the pace to put pressure on a defense. Play Diaz more. Change things up--it's what the coach is supposed to do when what you've been doing ain't working.
Simmonds should be playing center forward. Not sure why we changed up how we played her. I always worry when we misuse a talented player (and yes I think she's extremely talented) if they will transfer. I sure hope not because she's got so much upside if we use her properly

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD
Kirt has been bringing in Greiner to relieve Runyon at CF when she could probably help us more at wide forward. She is very speedy
and quick--just what we've been lacking on the wing. True freshman, not much experience, but she's got speed and verve. Kirt and the staff could have played Simmonds at CF and started Lawton at wide forward on the left. Didn't do it. But clearly Simmonds has not worked out playing wide. It's worth noting that I think Runyon has scored three goals in SEC matches. I'm not sure Simmonds would have done better. But Kirt needs to change things up. When you're not winning and people are not playing well and you do nothing but hope the same players will somehow start playing better, you, the coach, are the problem---at the least, for not trying to adapt, even if the changes to produce better results. How the hell do you really know what you've got until you try different combinations.

This is why Kirt is over his head. He brought in 4/5 transfers, several freshman and he started the seasons--first exhibition game--with one lineup and did not alter the lineup at all, even though there is NO WAY he and the staff could have got a proper look at various players in different positions in two weeks of training camp. He was prepared to start Washington all year at defensive mid, which was just completely lame. It was only when she got a knock and started Agresti that it dawned on him or the others that Agresti was better. That's not to suggest that Agresti is tops--she's a better passer than Burdette but not nearly as good as defender. Our defense needs a lot of attention going forward--and Kirt, well....it's on White.

Reactions: brittannica and MAD
We need at least 2 wins and a tie out of our last three to salvage this season, and it's hard to see
that happening based on the team's performance this season. We're just not good enough on either
side of the field. Our wide forwards, as mentioned, have been very ineffective. We'd be better off giving
more minutes to the very speedy Greiner and Diaz, but Kirt likes to stick with players who aren't producing.
While we aren't winning, the margins, as is usually the case in this sport, are small. If you score two goals,
you have a pretty decent chance of winning or at the least getting a tie. We could
rally late in the season---Missouri is 1-5-1 in the SEC thus far, Vandy is 3-4, and a&M is 3-2-2--so a trio
of average opponents to face our average team. That's the only shred of optimism I have as I look up and see the Cloak of Warlick
slowly descending toward the shoulders of Kirt.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and MAD

VN Store

Back