Lady Vols Soccer ⚽️ Ole Miss @ #23 Tennessee 7PM Thursday 9/19 Regal Stadium (Admission is free)

Lady Vols Post 2-0 Win Over Mocs​

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. – The Lady Vols posted a shutout over Chattanooga, taking a 2-0 victory in Regal Stadium Sunday night.

In addition to posting a clean sheet and two goals, Tennessee (1-1-0) outshot the Mocs 15-to-1, posted five shots on goal, five corner kicks and held possession for 60 percent of the match.

The first half was a slow start offensively for both squads, but Tennessee was able to strike in the 64th minute via an own goal. UT's second goal of the night came in exciting fashion when Sammi Woods used a left-footed beauty assisted off of Sarah Greiner to find the back of the net in the 90th minute.

In addition to her goal, Woods shined in her Rocky Top debut and paced the squad with six shots total with three of them coming on frame while also leading the team with 77 minutes of game action.

Freshman Reese Mattern also provided Tennessee with four shots, a pair of them coming on frame.

STAT OF THE GAME: For the second consecutive season, Tennessee held an opponent to just one shot on the night. The Lady Vols held FAU to a singular shot on last on Sept. 10, 2023.

ALL-TIME AGAINST THE MOCS: UT now improves to 7-0 all-time against Chattanooga and have outscored them 39-1 in their meetings.

SCORING SUMMARY
64' – Own Goal
90' – Sammi Woods (Assist: Sarah Greiner)

UP NEXT: The Lady Vols will head on the road to face another in-state foe and are set to take on ETSU in a 7 p.m. ET contest Thursday night.

I'll take the minority view on here. I thought the team looked good against UT Chatt. Dominated possession (which they should against this opponent). I thought several players from last year's team looked better (maybe because they are healthy) this year. Some of the young talent looked promising. Sometimes the shots don't fall in certain games (plus UTC GK played well). With many new players on the team and a lot of substitutions, it does take time to gel.

Note: I did not see the Indiana game, so just my thoughts on this one.

I'll take the minority view on here. I thought the team looked good against UT Chatt. Dominated possession (which they should against this opponent). I thought several players from last year's team looked better (maybe because they are healthy) this year. Some of the young talent looked promising. Sometimes the shots don't fall in certain games (plus UTC GK played well). With many new players on the team and a lot of substitutions, it does take time to gel.

Great observation and I’d say you are in the majority. The few negas are just loud mouths and don’t offer much insight. This is a fun team to watch and I see a lot of promise.

Sammi Woods scores first goal with Tennessee soccer in win over Chattanooga​

IMG_0183.jpeg

Sammi Woods didn’t see her impact show up on the score sheet in her first game with Tennessee soccer, but it did in the second.

With just 14 seconds to go, Woods fired a shot from distance, sealing Tennessee’s 2-0 win over Chattanooga, the first of the season. Woods still tried to spark Tennessee’s attack in Thursday’s loss to Indiana, but the Lady Vols couldn’t find her. On Sunday, that facet of play improved.

“It goes back to us having the ball and the more we have the ball, the more it allows her and Mac (Midgley) to find spaces and put themselves in good spots,” Tennessee head coach Joe Kirt said. “And I think that’s the difference.”

Tennessee did well to generate chances in the first half, firing 10 shots at the Mocs. Only three reached the target, however, with all three being stopped by Chattanooga’s goalkeeper. The Lady Vols had 65% of the ball and were putting Chattanooga under pressure, but they couldn’t convert that to a halftime lead.

At the halftime break, the Lady Vols didn’t get frustrated. They pushed forward, improving in small areas that allowed them to progress into the game and win.

“We’ve got to be good in both boxes and had certainly more than enough opportunities in the first half, but a little bit of quality on the service and then our organization in the box,” Kirt said. “I think we were better in the second half with that. Didn’t get a goal off it, but I think we were.”

Tennessee’s continued pressure forced Chattanooga into an error, giving the Lady Vols the lead on an own goal. In the final minute, Woods put the finishing touch on a 2-0 win.

With scoring came the honor of receiving Tennessee’s new goal-scoring chain, a prize she celebrated after the game. It’s all part of the culture Tennessee soccer looks to build in the 2024 season.

“I’ve been welcomed very well by a great group as you can see,” Woods said. “It’s something new and it’s different for sure, but I’ve loved every step of it.”

In Kirt’s third season, the program is developing more under his watch than the previous head coach, Brian Pensky. Kirt led a major overhaul of the roster this offseason, bringing in seven transfers and signing 10 freshmen.

Tennessee has high expectations for the 2024 season, but those results take time and effort. Woods, along with her teammates, are trying to start getting strong results now.

“Half of our team is new, whether that’s incoming freshmen or transfers like myself,” Woods said. “So learning how to gel with each other. I think we’re getting those tendencies with every training.”

As the Lady Vols play more games and go through more drills, they will come closer together. Those results will eventually be reflected on the field as Tennessee continues to improve as the season moves along.

Woods came into an inexperienced team looking to bring together freshmen, transfers and returning players. While she wants to be a leadership voice in the dressing room, Woods also finds importance in listening to veteran Tennessee players, such as Jaida Thomas.

“I think with age it comes, but I’ve had a lot of experience with it,” Woods said. “I think it’s again, finding that balance of coming and bringing a ... level of expertise, age and wisdom but at the same time listening and still learning from those who have been here for a while.”

The level of GK talent in the US is outstanding as well. You can find really talented keepers on most DI college rosters. No doubt the Lady Vols are really talented.

Any word on Jenna Chatterton? We made the second half of the game and saw her go down. Really hoping it's minor.

The level of GK talent in the US is outstanding as well. You can find really talented keepers on most DI college rosters. No doubt the Lady Vols are really talented.

Any word on Jenna Chatterton? We made the second half of the game and saw her go down. Really hoping it's minor.
That was so heartbreaking. It felt like she knew it was another acl injury.

IMG_0190.png
KNOXVILLE, TN - August 18, 2024 - Forward Reese Mattern #12 of the Tennessee Lady Volunteers during the game between the Chattanooga Mocs and the Tennessee Volunteers at Regal Soccer Stadium in Knoxville, TN. Photo By Andrew Ferguson/Tennessee Athletics

IMG_0191.png
KNOXVILLE, TN - August 18, 2024 - Forward Sammi Woods #3 of the Tennessee Lady Volunteers during the game between the Chattanooga Mocs and the Tennessee Volunteers at Regal Soccer Stadium in Knoxville, TN. Photo By Andrew Ferguson/Tennessee Athletics

IMG_0193.jpeg
KNOXVILLE, TN - August 18, 2024 - Forward Kameran Bluette #19 of the Tennessee Lady Volunteers during the game between the Chattanooga Mocs and the Tennessee Volunteers at Regal Soccer Stadium in Knoxville, TN. Photo By Andrew Ferguson/Tennessee Athletics

IMG_0187.jpeg
KNOXVILLE, TN - August 18, 2024 - Goalkeeper Ally Zazzara #32 of the Tennessee Lady Volunteers during the game between the Chattanooga Mocs and the Tennessee Volunteers at Regal Soccer Stadium in Knoxville, TN. Photo By Andrew Ferguson/Tennessee Athletics

SEC Soccer Players of the Week: Aug. 19​

The Southeastern Conference announces the league's Soccer Players of the Week for August 19.

Soccer Players of the Week​

Katie Shea Collins
Offensive

Katie Shea Collins

Forward
South Carolina’s Katie Shea Collins, a freshman forward from Gallatin, Tenn., registered the program’s seventh-ever hat trick in her Gamecock debut. Collins became the second Gamecock freshman to record a hat trick (Jennie Ondo in 1996). Collins needed just 29 minutes of play, all in the first half, to score all three goals. Not only that – Collins’ first goal came just 34 seconds into play, marking the second-fastest goal in program history.
South Carolina Logo
Maddie Prohaska
Co-Defensive

Maddie Prohaska

Goalkeeper
Auburn’s Maddie Prohaska, a graduate goalkeeper from West Chester, Ohio, made four saves on four dangerous chances faced, including a clutch kick save in the dying minutes of the match to help Auburn secure its Opening Night upset over No. 5 Clemson.
Auburn Logo
Jordan Brown
Co-Defensive

Jordan Brown

Goalkeeper
Georgia’s Jordan Brown, a junior goalkeeper from Las Vegas, Nev., registered five saves in helping the Bulldogs to a draw against No. 7 Pitt.
Georgia Logo
Kayla Keefer
Freshman

Kayla Keefer

Forward
Ole Miss' Kayla Keefer, a freshman forward from Bloomsburg, Pa., recorded the 27th hat trick in program history against Southern in what was her collegiate debut. Keefer scored her first goal in just the third minute of play and had two goals before the match reached the nine-minute mark.

Last edited:
Reactions: krichunaka
Our coach who some claim is on thin ice after having to rebuild a program that Brian Kiffin Pensky blew up is listed at #19 and pulled in one of the recruiting classes in the country.

Tennessee #19

Every team gets ONE!

Probably meant one of the best recruiting classes in the country. I like the class he just signed and the current commits for next year and I really want it to work out for coach Kirk he's a players coach.

VN Store

Back