LadyinOranges Official Countdown Thread

I actually woke up at 8:30 and didn't go to sleep till after 3:00 am.

I must be indestructible.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

48 days till KICKOFF!!

17 till practice begins.

(Actually, they have already begun "voluntary" workouts.)

Ainge impressing Vols with cannon-like arm

KNOXVILLE — The newest addition to the Tennessee quarterback derby, freshman Erik Ainge, has already turned heads.

''He wants to be a player. You can see it in his eyes,'' said Robert Meachem, a redshirt freshman receiver. ''He's got a strong arm and a quick release.

''If his arm isn't stronger than C.J. (Leak's), it's right up there. It's like when you're shooting a jump shot, you release it and follow through. Sometimes, I think Erik is scared to follow through because of how strong his arm is.''

The 6-foot-6 Ainge didn't arrive on campus until earlier this month for the second session of summer school. Fellow freshman Brent Schaeffer has been enrolled since the first session of summer school, while Leak and Rick Clausen both went through spring practice.

Senior linebacker Kevin Burnett, a second-year captain, said the quarterback competition would carry well into August based on what he's seen in the voluntary 7-on-7 workouts.

''They all do things good and all do things bad,'' Burnett said. ''It's going to be who makes the fewest mistakes when it counts.''

Leak remains the leader going into two-a-day practices. Burnett said the key would be how he responds to all the competition.

''Some quarterbacks don't deal well with people breathing down their neck. Some play well,'' Burnett said. ''We'll see what it does to C.J.''

Offseason work: Johnny Long, the Vols' head strength and conditioning coach, mentioned offensive tackle Michael Munoz, fullback Cory Anderson, defensive end Parys Haralson and tailback Gerald Riggs Jr. as being standouts in the offseason conditioning program.

''Michael staying around this year, I think he really took that extra step to improve his game,'' Long said.

Anderson has power-cleaned 320 pounds, squats near 600 and bench-presses 450, Long said.

''He definitely wants that fullback job,'' Long said. ''He's focused and ready to go in and pound. He's a guy who's durable and tough and will hit you.''

He called Haralson a leader in the Al Wilson mold and said Riggs had not missed a workout and had ''turned the corner.''

''Gerald's probably going to be in the best shape he's been in,'' Long said. ''I think he wants that tailback spot, and he's going to push for it.''

-CHRIS LOW

47 days till we hear Rocky Top sung by a choir of 100,000= voices!!

16 days till practice begins.

....is about all you'll be able to afford in Hawaii.

:rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol:

:rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol: :rlol:

Originally posted by Volstorm@Jul 21, 2004 12:37 AM
:D

Is that the best you can do??

You must be getting tired.

VN Store

Back