Lance Armstrong will be stripped of his seven Tour titles

If he is stripped by the UCI, then the titles will probably be vacated, since finding anyone far enough down that hasn't been implicated in a doping scandal will be very tough.

Here's the editor of Outside magazine, describing the contents of Tyler Hamilton's new book.

The drugs are everywhere, and as Hamilton explains, Armstrong was not just another cyclist caught in the middle of an established drug culture -- he was a pioneer pushing into uncharted territory. In this sense, the book destroys another myth: that everyone was doing it, so Armstrong was, in a weird way, just competing on a level playing field. There was no level playing field. With his connections to Michele Ferrari, the best dishonest doctor in the business, Armstrong was always "two years ahead of what everybody else was doing," Hamilton writes. Even on the Postal squad there was a pecking order. Armstrong got the superior treatments.

What ultimately makes the book so damning, however, is that it doesn't require readers to put their full faith in Hamilton's word. In the book's preface, which details its genesis, Coyle not so subtly addresses Armstrong's supporters by pointing out that, while the story is told through Hamilton, nine former Postal teammates agreed to cooperate with him on The Secret Race, verifying and corroborating Hamilton's account. Nine teammates.

Tyler Hamilton on Lance Armstrong: The Secret Is Out | Books | OutsideOnline.com

The course changes every year.

They aren't even close to having doping under control.

The course changes every year, but they ride up the same mountains over and over. For example, they've climbed the Alpe d'Huez six times in the last ten years.

I have no idea how "under control" doping is in cycling anymore, but I do know that the Tour director was bragging last year about how much longer it was taking everyone to climb the mountains than it used to.

If that crossed a line, you have no business being on the internet.

Mail me the list of 'Rules of Being on the Internet' and while I'm perusing through it, the comment will still be out of bounds.

Didn't realize the internet cleared people of common decency.

Eh, we all kind if knew a long. Still the best rider ever in my opinion.

Eddy Merckx was probably the best. Armstrong focused his entire career on winning the Tour; he didn't even ride the other grand tours. (I think he rode the Giro once after his first retirement; I don't think he ever even rode the Vuelta.) Merckx won the Tour five times and won everything else too -- the two other grand tours, the one-day classics, everything.

Eddy Merckx was probably the best. Armstrong focused his entire career on winning the Tour; he didn't even ride the other grand tours. (I think he rode the Giro once after his first retirement; I don't think he ever even rode the Vuelta.) Merckx won the Tour five times and won everything else too -- the two other grand tours, the one-day classics, everything.

Valid point. Do you think the punishment Lance recieved was just? He can't even compete in the iron men anymore.

Valid point. Do you think the punishment Lance recieved was just? He can't even compete in the iron men anymore.

It's fairly astonishing that one governing body controls everything from the Tour de France to the Iron Man, isn't it?

I assume the severity of the punishment has been multiplied as punishment for Armstrong's stonewalling. It's the same principle as Pearl vs the NCAA -- these regulatory agencies have such a hard time enforcing the rules that they will screw you doubly hard if you don't cooperate. The lesson, as always, is if you get busted, take the hit, admit it, cry about the mistake you made, and move on. I don't know why people don't get that.

My money's on "The Badger" - Bernard Hinault just because he was such a dick to Greg Lemond it cracked me up to hear Phil Liggett pronounce his name.

How were they all passing drug tests?

Some of the USADA's evidence indicates that Johan Bruyneel, manager of Armstrong's team, somehow got a heads-up beforehand when tests were coming. Plus I'm sure they were right on the bleeding edge and far ahead of testing techniques.

There's also apparently some evidence that Armstrong himself failed a drug test in a warm-up race for the Tour in 2001, but the cycling federation helped squash it.

VN Store

Back