Largest California Utility Facing Bankruptcy

I don't know anything solar desalination. but that (in the link) appears to be a small-scale operation.

For SoCal, it seems to me that it would be more efficient to move the electricity, rather than the water, from the desert to the coast. That's where the water is needed anyway.

Here's a proposed plant they've been debating for 20 years.

Dithering must end in California’s too-long desalination debate

I don't know anything solar desalination. but that (in the link) appears to be a small-scale operation.

For SoCal, it seems to me that it would be more efficient to move the electricity, rather than the water, from the desert to the coast. That's where the water is needed anyway.

Here's a proposed plant they've been debating for 20 years.

Dithering must end in California’s too-long desalination debate

Most of the plants they are putting up are reverse osmosis type, which are pretty power hungry overall. Solar stills rely on nothing more than sunlight to produce clean water. I'm thinking there has to be a way of combining a PV cell to add some heat to the water to make it evaporate faster. Kind of an enhanced concentrated solar still. I am wondering why nobody has thought of that or if it just isn't workable.

The problem with solar stills is the amount of real estate needed to put up one that has any chance of producing anything more than a fraction of what's needed out there. We're talking square miles of area needed for a water hungry state like California. Hence, my Mojave idea where there is plenty of land that nobody's using and plenty of sunlight that's required.

On the other hand, the byproduct of solar distillation would be the salt and dissolved metals, so California would bytch about that even though they are already in the marine environment. The solution is to dump it back into the ocean from which it came, but again, they'd go crazy over that kind of thinking.

It's California. They're idiots.

This is a pretty good argument for putting your own oxygen mask on before trying to help others. Invest in America to keep America healthy enough to help ourselves and then others.

Yes they lack the ability to do anything that requires common sense. People are fleeing the state in droves due to the absurd taxes and cost of living. Sad thing is they bring their asinine politics with them. It’s like refugees, they leave an oppressed area yet try to turn their new home into the oppressed area they left. It’s ridiculous.
The people fleeing the state in droves are backfilled by people coming in from out of state. The reason why places like California and NYC can tax and regulate everyone to death is because they are a magnet for industry that is so well established and entrenched, whether it be media/Hollywood/Silicon Valley in California or financial services in NYC. Whoever they drive off has their place filled by a wide-eyed out-of-towner who just got a job there and is thrilled to live in the "big time"...at least for a while.

The people fleeing the state in droves are backfilled by people coming in from out of state. The reason why places like California and NYC can tax and regulate everyone to death is because they are a magnet for industry that is so well established and entrenched, whether it be media/Hollywood/Silicon Valley in California or financial services in NYC. Whoever they drive off has their place filled by a wide-eyed out-of-towner who just got a job there and is thrilled to live in the "big time"...at least for a while.

Also, plenty of people prefer a California January to a Nebraska one.

Reactions: AM64
Most of the plants they are putting up are reverse osmosis type, which are pretty power hungry overall. Solar stills rely on nothing more than sunlight to produce clean water. I'm thinking there has to be a way of combining a PV cell to add some heat to the water to make it evaporate faster. Kind of an enhanced concentrated solar still. I am wondering why nobody has thought of that or if it just isn't workable.

I don't know anything about it. One of the links you posted suggested the salinity of the water source may make PV power practical or not. Obviously the less distance you move the water, the better.

Also, plenty of people prefer a California January to a Nebraska one.
True. Sometimes I wonder why more of the financial services industry didn't relocate more out of NYC over the years for that very reason. For that matter, the weather generally speaking in most larger northern/midwestern cities is pretty rotten for much of the year.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
True. Sometimes I wonder why more of the financial services industry didn't relocate more out of NYC over the years for that very reason. For that matter, the weather generally speaking in most larger northern/midwestern cities is pretty rotten for much of the year.

Some people are fine with, or seemingly enjoy moderate NE winters.

I am not one of those people.

Some people are fine with, or seemingly enjoy moderate NE winters.

I am not one of those people.

Depending on the area, Southern Cal can get a bit chilly at night when the sun goes down. Pasadena got pretty cold at night when I was there.

Provided, no snow and freezing temps, but a wet 35 degrees is still cold.

VN Store

Back