LG1's super-realistic and reasonable solution to illegal immigration and earned citizenship

2) A certain number of persons, to be determined every year by Congress with input from U.S. Bureau of Labor as to US labor needs, is allowed to obtain an immigration visa. Persons convicted of serious drug crimes or crimes of violence in their home countries may not apply for five years after the conviction or sentence ends, whichever is last.

Completely disagree. First off, Congress determining numbers just sets the system up for complete and abject failure. Those stats can (and would be) ignored. Additionally, I'd much prefer the BOL set up a Voc-rehab program for those who can work, but draw unemployment. There are far too many people here that can work that don't work that should be working before we bring someone in to do that work.

Plus, you have a serious crime conviction in your home country? Don't even apply.

People immigrate to a continent where the wildlife is actively trying to kill people?
Don't we have that here?

OIP.ECgpA3HSEr_e5dS87wdqIwHaF-

It is estimated that approximately 400,000 persons enter the US illegally every year, the vast majority via the Southern border. We seem to be at loggerheads on it, on a partisan basis. GOPers say they oppose it due to crime and national border integrity. Dems counter that real motivation is racism. Dems are soft on immigration, they say based on compassion and that its not a serious problem. GOP counters that its because immigrants support Dems in political races.

No way out of this political traffic jam because both sides are benefitting from the continued existence of the issue -- both parties want to keep the controversy alive.

Let's assume there is a grain of truth to all of that criticism agaisnt and by both sides. How about this solution:

1) Strict enforcement at the border. You enter illegally, you are sent back. Zero tolerance for illegal entry.
2) A certain number of persons, to be determined every year by Congress with input from U.S. Bureau of Labor as to US labor needs, is allowed to obtain an immigration visa. Persons convicted of serious drug crimes or crimes of violence in their home countries may not apply for five years after the conviction or sentence ends, whichever is last.
3) A national network is established and businesses or persons can agree to hire persons on these visas at 70 % of the minimum wage in that jurisdiction. However, enrollment in ACA or its equivalent must be made and paid for by the employer. The immigrant on the visa is ineligible for public assistance for the first 2 years they are here. Employers are incentivized with tax breaks to assist with housing. The immigrant visa-holder pays a flat rate of 15 % in federal income tax. No deductions, etc.
4) Persons here on the immigrant visas are incentivized to go to school to learn English, a trade skill, or a legitimate path to higher education. Not forced, but rewarded.
5) Persons here on immigrant visas are on probation for first 3 years. No right to vote. Any conviction for a felony or drug or crime of violence results in expulsion and may not reapply for an immigrant visa for ten years.
6) After the three years, the immigrant is awarded conditional citizenship. Full rights otherwise, but there is still one condition to that, which is no criminal activity, as above. The real difference is that the visa-holding immigrant can seek work outside of the parameters of the above.
7) At the end of the full 6 year period, if all conditions met, the immigrant has earned full citizenship.
8) Generally no minors allowed to accompany adults using the immigrant visa process as a matter of course. There may be conditional exceptions made, but will be based on there being family or others here willing to assume financial responsibility for the minor.
9) In the event there are more applicants for visas in a given year than available visas based on the number set by Congress, then a lottery is held. Those not awarded a visa in that process go to the top of the list for next year.

The goal of this process is to end or severely reduce illegal immigration while creating a mechanism whereby U.S. business can unashamedly hire otherwise illegal folks at a reduced rate but give them a means to integrate and become productive contributors to society. Sort of a stepping stone to a legal future, but one that must be earned. The US benefits, they benefit, there is a cap in place to the process which is correlated to US labor needs.

Now,

tenor.gif
I’d increase penalties for committing crimes to lifetime bans and would mandate the learning of English. Overall I find this much more palatable than our current policy.

Reactions: Orangeslice13
I’d increase penalties for committing crimes to lifetime bans and would mandate the learning of English. Overall I find this much more palatable than our current policy.

We don't have an official national language.

And they may not care to learn English.

And somehow, neither would be wrong.
I don’t really think it comes down to right or wrong. I want to my preserve what I think of as my culture and my heritage while they want to preserve theirs. Unfortunately my end will probably lose out, that’s life. Doesn’t mean I have to like it or that I won’t speak out in the hope that other people feel the same.

I think Biden's strategy is to ignore the border and pretend the problem doesn't exist

LG's plan ignores the biggest problem which is what do we do with all the people here illegally now? I can't imagine a closed border plan that doesn't include harshness for those that cross illegally. We can't deport ten million or so but I don't think they should be guaranteed citizenship either. I think a plan for illegals should include

1) Require to register
2) Guest Worker program
3) Pay a fine
4) Get in line for citizenship
5) No rules allowing you to bring in all your relatives in Mexico or wherever.

#5 is the one that Dems have constantly been pushing

I don’t really think it comes down to right or wrong. I want to my preserve what I think of as my culture and my heritage while they want to preserve theirs. Unfortunately my end will probably lose out, that’s life. Doesn’t mean I have to like it or that I won’t speak out in the hope that other people feel the same.
Pretty sure my people arent from an island off the cost of Europe. That part of my culture died a long time ago.

Never bothered me much, always considered myself American first. Anything else was just a factoid.

Agreed. Just saying there has never been a requirement and somehow we all still speak English.
It’s not like we’re saying speak American. Honestly don’t care what language it is just pick one and that’s the one we all use.

I personally am voting for Hebrew

VN Store

Back