Living in Bama

The 10 championships awarded by either the AP or Coaches or BCS poll beginning in '61-'12, to me, should be pretty clear cut. The other 5, awarded between '25 and '41 were awarded by whatever selector decided to award their trophy to Alabama. I understand why Alabama fans want to count these, they were awarded. I accept that fans from other schools, if they can find any way to question the integrity of the selector, will want to disqualify these. IMHO, as I've said before, '41 is the one that is least valid. It is worth noting that the NCAA recognizes National Championships for Alabama in '45,'66,'75 and'77. Alabama does not claim these. I guess it's up to the particular fan or fan base to decide what they want to accept. There will never be any agreement.

As a UT fan I only claim 51 & 98 because the NCAA says so. You can make a case for 38 but they didn't get voted in. What people don't know is they voted the national champion in before the bowl games were played

As a UT fan I only claim 51 & 98 because the NCAA says so. You can make a case for 38 but they didn't get voted in. What people don't know is they voted the national champion in before the bowl games were played

That's right. AP voted prior the bowl games until 1965 I think.

The 1938 team that was only selected by a few math systems, while TCU was picked by the only poll of human beings who actually might have actually watched the games?

Seems like a weird choice.

Tennessee was selected by 24 voters, TCU with 14 voters....keep talking out of your a$$ you will get something right maybe.

What scares the heck out of bama fans is the 4 team playoff next year. Strength of schedule will be a contributing factor to which 4 teams are selected(bama always weak in schedule). No more, "AP voted us this,such and such voted us that". They have a great team, but things will be changing, we will find out just how strong they will be HONESTLY.(saban will ditch) Butch Jones will show them how to win honestly.

What scares the heck out of bama fans is the 4 team playoff next year. Strength of schedule will be a contributing factor to which 4 teams are selected(bama always weak in schedule). No more, "AP voted us this,such and such voted us that". They have a great team, but things will be changing, we will find out just how strong they will be HONESTLY.(saban will ditch) Butch Jones will show them how to win honestly.

Rematches,schedule,polls.It's interesting to see what people use to cope with the success of a hated rival.

The only nationally published, non-retroactive selectors who picked Tennessee were math systems.

Are you really trying to argue that an undefeated Tennessee that beat an undefeated Oklahoma in their bowl and was picked in the majority of the polls aren't NC?

Last edited:

Strength of schedule has been a contributing factor to the BCS since its inception. Bama's end of year SOS was above 20th in the country in the BCS computer average each year we won the NC. So whatever point you thought you were making, you didn't actually have one.

Are you really trying to argue that an undefeated Tennessee that beat an undefeated Oklahoma in their bowl and was picked in the majority of the polls aren't NC?

UT picked by the majority of polls. They were picked by the majority of selectors, but the only polls that picked UT were taken years after the fact. UT was the popular choice of the math systems. The only contemporary poll at the time, the AP, picked TCU.

I have no real issue with UT's claim to '38. But your personal standards are a little uneven. '51 is a better claim than '38.

Strength of schedule has been a contributing factor to the BCS since its inception. Bama's end of year SOS was above 20th in the country in the BCS computer average each year we won the NC. So whatever point you thought you were making, you didn't actually have one.

Oh, so you are saying it's going to be a 20 Game Playoff? What???? Your Point???? Computers in the Playoff Comittee next season??

Oh, so you are saying it's going to be a 20 Game Playoff? What???? Your Point???? Computers in the Playoff Comittee next season??

What are you talking about? Where did a twenty game playoff enter this conversation? And when did I suggest that computers would be used by the selection committee? Though I do think they'll use some kind of SOS formula that is similar to what the BCS used.

Honestly, you seem to be reading something other than my posts, but quoting me when you respond.

What are you talking about? Where did a twenty game playoff enter this conversation? And when did I suggest that computers would be used by the selection committee? Though I do think they'll use some kind of SOS formula that is similar to what the BCS used.

Honestly, you seem to be reading something other than my posts, but quoting me when you respond.

No, I read your post,responded to it.

Constant probation caused alabubba's down years, Tennessee's are due to people asleep at the wheel, huge difference. So you say Tennessee has been on probation , one thing for sure it was far less severe than bammer's .

Our probation was the "you are under close scrutiny" kind. Their's was half a step below SMU's.

Just to break up the anticipation of waiting another 10 days till game time. Can we bait a troll? Can we troll on the trolls? Here's my shot at it....All though Bama was not the SEC Champs in 2011(rightfully so), were SEC champs in 2012(barely), do you think Bama will get 3 SEC championships in a row anytime in the forseable future?

Just to break up the anticipation of waiting another 10 days till game time. Can we bait a troll? Can we troll on the trolls? Here's my shot at it....All though Bama was not the SEC Champs in 2011(rightfully so), were SEC champs in 2012(barely), do you think Bama will get 3 SEC championships in a row anytime in the forseable future?

I'll play. Threepeat will be tough to pull off. The Vols just completed a threepeat, right? What are the chances you guys can make it 4 in a row this year?

Yaw are too hard on alabama. It serves a great purpose.

I know that if I dont follow the Lord's teachings I know exactly where I'll end up. alabama provides the ultimate motivation.

VN Store

Back