Long but good breakdown of the OU game by Crompton. Nico surprise.

That was my point..Nico is the first to do it in a long time
This win is 100% credited to the Defensive, Nico clearly has the talent but honestly hasn't played well. He has been turnover prone and has only made a handful of big plays despite a running game that has shredded defenses. He should be very good, however I would give him a C through 4 games this season

I always enjoy Cromptons halftime and post game shows. I think he does a really good job at explaining concepts and Xs and Os. I was a little shocked by his take on Nico at first. Saying the coaches don’t fully trust him yet. Maybe that’s why the play calling hasn’t looked like we expected. Anyway give a listen if you have time.

I don't buy Crompton's take on Nico. Dayne Davis was going to get him killed and the coaches knew it. Oklahoma's front really challenged our OL which hopefully will make them better as the year progresses. That one drive when we gave it to Sampson 8x in a row was a statement however right before the end of the half. I thought we would wear them down in the 2nd but to Oklahoma's credit they didn't go away. We have to clean up our penalties too although that one hold on Karic which called back a big play, I'm skeptical about.

Reactions: VAVol85
He didn’t open up the playbook because he is a smart coach who doesn’t do what our ignorant fans would have done.

He did a great coaching job last night. Those criticizing him are self-identifying.
Keeping the emphasis where it belongs, he coached to get a W not to validate what others have defined as his brand. He is a winner.

I don't buy Crompton's take on Nico. Dayne Davis was going to get him killed and the coaches knew it. Oklahoma's front really challenged our OL which hopefully will make them better as the year progresses. That one drive when we gave it to Sampson 8x in a row was a statement however right before the end of the half. I thought we would wear them down in the 2nd but to Oklahoma's credit they didn't go away. We have to clean up our penalties too although that one hold on Karic which called back a big play, I'm skeptical about.
Agree on the Karic hold…hands were in close and didn’t seem to have an obvious handful of jersey.

This win is 100% credited to the Defensive, Nico clearly has the talent but honestly hasn't played well. He has been turnover prone and has only made a handful of big plays despite a running game that has shredded defenses. He should be very good, however I would give him a C through 4 games this season
Can't really fault the two fumbles on him yesterday. Otherwise he's played fine...gotta remember it was his 4th start.

Reactions: Sarms58
I think some of it was Nico being young.

I also firmly believe it was about protecting our players. That field was very very bad and playing up tempo on it was risking injury and turnovers, Peyton would have had problems on that field last night too

He didn’t open up the playbook because he is a smart coach who doesn’t do what our ignorant fans would have done.

He did a great coaching job last night. Those criticizing him are self-identifying.
Yea, the OU defense is strong. Their DBs covered our WRs very well and the put pressure on Nico. Had we not gotten the lead and been forced to play from behind then Josh would have had to “open the playbook” and let Nico throw much more. No doubt we would have seen a few more sacks and probably a pic or two.

If your line can’t protect and the receivers can’t get separation, it’s not “playing conservative“ - it’s playing smart.

Great road win in a very tough environment (and a crappy field).

That was my point..Nico is the first to do it in a long time
I get that. But you said “can you name another Vol QB that has had a top 15 road win in the last 20 years”. Here’s 2. Not exactly Heisman caliber either.

LSU was #16 in 2022. One spot lower than OK and that was a MUCH better offensive showing. So not technically “a top 15 win” but as close as you can get.

Nico has HUGE upside but he’s not on Hendon’s level yet (nor should he be). If Hendon had this defense, we would have certainly made the playoff in 2022 and may have even brought home a Natty.

VN Store

Back