Long, but Heartfelt...for what that's worth

OrangeBlitz

For those of you that can't be bothered, there is a TL;DR at the end. :)

I came by it honestly.

My dad is a Vols fan, my grandfather was a Vols fan, all my uncles were Vols fans. I suppose that's not odd, since I was born in Knoxville. I've always loved football. I'll watch football in any form...from the Super Bowl, to a peewee match where half the touchdowns are run to the wrong endzone.

By far, though, my favorite football is College, and my favorite team is, as I have already alluded to, Tennessee. I remember attending my first game in Neyland. I was 9 or 10 years old. Dad worked for TVA and a friend of his had season tickets. We got to attend two games from tickets passed along from that friend, one was Ole Miss, and the other Vandy. We won both games, but the thing I remember most was the anticipation of parking miles away and walking to the stadium. I was actually going to get to see my beloved Vols play in person. Watching on TV was nice, and John Ward always made the games come alive over the radio, but to see Willie Gault streak for a touchdown with my own two eyes would be something special.

It was. With those first two trips to Neyland, any possible ghost of a chance of me ever switching teams was irrevocably erased. I am a VFL. Skip ahead to my college days. I hadn't gotten to go to any more games since those first two. I'm not sure if Dad's friend didn't keep his season tickets, or if we didn't get anymore for different reasons, but the fact remains that we did not. But now I was a student. I could get my own tickets. And that I did...I skipped a Chemistry class to stand in line so I could get a good seat to the Bama game. I ended up around the 35 yard line, and even though we lost 6-9 (I'll admit to not saying favorable things about Greg Burke that day), I still had a phenomenal time actually going to the game. I got tickets to the Notre Dame game that year too (another loss *grumble*), but I remember thinking how much faster Rocket Ismail was in person than he looked on TV.

Fast forward again to 5 years ago. A friend of mine had an elderly father who had tickets since before the dawn of time. The Dad was getting too old to walk up and down the steps at the stadium, and the brothers were more watch on TV kind of guys, so they let me buy the tickets. I cannot stress enough how thrilled I was. I was actually going to get to see all the games in person (well...home games, but you know what I mean). I can't count how many times, in my youth, I uttered the phrase, "It would be nice to get UT season tickets, but somebody has to DIE for that to happen." And now I was going to be in possession of a pair. They weren't "really" mine, but I'd still get to see the games. I kept those tickets for a couple of years, until my wife and I started down the road to adoption. I'm not sure whether or not you're aware, but those are even more expensive than season tickets. I decided to let the tickets go, so we could use every bit of spare money we had on the adoption. Shortly after, my friends father passed away and so I couldn't pick the tickets back up.

Then last year happened. I remember distinctly sitting on the couch on the Saturday of the USCjr. game. I had not been watching (I know, I know..."You're not REALLY a VFL if you don't watch every second of every game"...there are only so many times you can have your heart ripped out before you get a little gun shy though) but I heard about the injury to Lattimore. I was sorry to hear that, as from all I've heard, he's a really good guy, so I turned over to the game to see what the extent of the injury might be. I was pleasantly surprised to find out we were winning. My wife and I watched for a while, and at the beginning of the fourth quarter, I turned to her and relayed the following. "You know, when I was young, my Dad and Grandfather were pessimistic about UT games. They were fans, but they'd always expect a loss when things went poorly. Not me. I would be right there in the fourth quarter saying, we can win this...I know we can. Many times we did...some we didn't, but there was always that faith that we could. Now...I'm just wondering HOW we're gonna lose to South Carolina. Not if...how." And we found a way.

So that is where I found myself when Butch Jones got the nod to take over for Dooley. To tell the truth, I was unfamiliar with his resume, as I am sure many were. I watched while he went through his first few days as head coach and was pleasantly surprised. He seemed to have a handle on what Tennessee Football should be. I know that all new coaches come in and peddle their own brand of Rah Rah, but Butch came across as actually believing what he said. I loved the way he preached family, and got the old players involved in the team again. If you don't believe new recruits will pay attention when Peyton Manning, Al Wilson, and Eric Berry tweet about their love for UT, you're deluding yourself. I attended the O/W game on Saturday and felt my old flame stir again. I really feel we'll have a decent season. I think we'll play more competitively. I don't think we'll give up half way through the third quarter...if not before. I think I'll find myself, once again, in the position of believing we CAN win when down in the fourth.

So, it was with those things in mind that for the first time today, officially, I became the proud owner of two University of Tennessee Football Season Tickets. I have dreamed for years of being a season ticket owner. I realize I had the tickets for a couple of years earlier, but somehow this seems different. They are MINE.

I am excited about what's to come for our team...this year and in the near future. I think it will be good. It obviously strikes a chord with me to produce such a literary opus to say....

TL;DR I bought season tickets this year for the first time.

Reactions: 21 people
Nice read, Blitz.

You and I were on campus at the same time. '90 was my Frosh year as well. Different times back then...man I sound old saying that.

I recall grabbing a newspaper each morning and reading the sports section. It was the 1st thing I did on a Saturday, get a newspaper and check the line-ups, injury reports, etc. Back then we had something to look forward. Today, there is no "news" because everything is real time.

Enjoy the tickets this year.

Awesome post! Butch Jones is gonna bring us back to the top 1 brick at a time. Brick by brick...

Nice read, Blitz.

You and I were on campus at the same time. '90 was my Frosh year as well. Different times back then...man I sound old saying that.

I recall grabbing a newspaper each morning and reading the sports section. It was the 1st thing I did on a Saturday, get a newspaper and check the line-ups, injury reports, etc. Back then we had something to look forward. Today, there is no "news" because everything is real time.

Enjoy the tickets this year.

My freshman year was 89.

If you don't say stuff like that, then you don't feel as old.:)

Blitz, you know where to come back.:eek:k:

In real life, I don't know a single person who doesn't think Jones is the real deal. And that includes fans of other teams.

We buy my dad and step-mom's tickets every year since she can go anymore.

Congrats!! What section are you in?

Screw the tl;dr crowd. That was a great post. See you next fall.

blitz i hope you did adopt and now you can let your child enjoy the same feeling you had in becoming a VFL.

Everybody should get to see a kid's face the first time they walk out of the concourse into the open stadium.

Reactions: 2 people
Everybody should get to see a kid's face the first time they walk out of the concourse into the open stadium.

Really enjoyed watching my three year old's face at the O&W game. He loved it. We were in the book store before the game started and he was soooo worried about missing the game. He kept asking me if we had missed it.

Reactions: 1 person
blitz i hope you did adopt and now you can let your child enjoy the same feeling you had in becoming a VFL.

Well, that's a story in its own right. Our first attempt was cancelled because Rwanda closed its doors to international adoption (don't get me started, UNICEF is the devil...well I suppose that's a bit harsh...let's just say we don't exchange Christmas cards). We took a few months off and then dive back in, though. This time we're in a program in the Caribbean. All the paperwork is done and we're waiting for a referral.

For those of you that can't be bothered, there is a TL;DR at the end. :)

I came by it honestly.

My dad is a Vols fan, my grandfather was a Vols fan, all my uncles were Vols fans. I suppose that's not odd, since I was born in Knoxville. I've always loved football. I'll watch football in any form...from the Super Bowl, to a peewee match where half the touchdowns are run to the wrong endzone.

By far, though, my favorite football is College, and my favorite team is, as I have already alluded to, Tennessee. I remember attending my first game in Neyland. I was 9 or 10 years old. Dad worked for TVA and a friend of his had season tickets. We got to attend two games from tickets passed along from that friend, one was Ole Miss, and the other Vandy. We won both games, but the thing I remember most was the anticipation of parking miles away and walking to the stadium. I was actually going to get to see my beloved Vols play in person. Watching on TV was nice, and John Ward always made the games come alive over the radio, but to see Willie Gault streak for a touchdown with my own two eyes would be something special.

It was. With those first two trips to Neyland, any possible ghost of a chance of me ever switching teams was irrevocably erased. I am a VFL. Skip ahead to my college days. I hadn't gotten to go to any more games since those first two. I'm not sure if Dad's friend didn't keep his season tickets, or if we didn't get anymore for different reasons, but the fact remains that we did not. But now I was a student. I could get my own tickets. And that I did...I skipped a Chemistry class to stand in line so I could get a good seat to the Bama game. I ended up around the 35 yard line, and even though we lost 6-9 (I'll admit to not saying favorable things about Greg Burke that day), I still had a phenomenal time actually going to the game. I got tickets to the Notre Dame game that year too (another loss *grumble*), but I remember thinking how much faster Rocket Ismail was in person than he looked on TV.

Fast forward again to 5 years ago. A friend of mine had an elderly father who had tickets since before the dawn of time. The Dad was getting too old to walk up and down the steps at the stadium, and the brothers were more watch on TV kind of guys, so they let me buy the tickets. I cannot stress enough how thrilled I was. I was actually going to get to see all the games in person (well...home games, but you know what I mean). I can't count how many times, in my youth, I uttered the phrase, "It would be nice to get UT season tickets, but somebody has to DIE for that to happen." And now I was going to be in possession of a pair. They weren't "really" mine, but I'd still get to see the games. I kept those tickets for a couple of years, until my wife and I started down the road to adoption. I'm not sure whether or not you're aware, but those are even more expensive than season tickets. I decided to let the tickets go, so we could use every bit of spare money we had on the adoption. Shortly after, my friends father passed away and so I couldn't pick the tickets back up.

Then last year happened. I remember distinctly sitting on the couch on the Saturday of the USCjr. game. I had not been watching (I know, I know..."You're not REALLY a VFL if you don't watch every second of every game"...there are only so many times you can have your heart ripped out before you get a little gun shy though) but I heard about the injury to Lattimore. I was sorry to hear that, as from all I've heard, he's a really good guy, so I turned over to the game to see what the extent of the injury might be. I was pleasantly surprised to find out we were winning. My wife and I watched for a while, and at the beginning of the fourth quarter, I turned to her and relayed the following. "You know, when I was young, my Dad and Grandfather were pessimistic about UT games. They were fans, but they'd always expect a loss when things went poorly. Not me. I would be right there in the fourth quarter saying, we can win this...I know we can. Many times we did...some we didn't, but there was always that faith that we could. Now...I'm just wondering HOW we're gonna lose to South Carolina. Not if...how." And we found a way.

So that is where I found myself when Butch Jones got the nod to take over for Dooley. To tell the truth, I was unfamiliar with his resume, as I am sure many were. I watched while he went through his first few days as head coach and was pleasantly surprised. He seemed to have a handle on what Tennessee Football should be. I know that all new coaches come in and peddle their own brand of Rah Rah, but Butch came across as actually believing what he said. I loved the way he preached family, and got the old players involved in the team again. If you don't believe new recruits will pay attention when Peyton Manning, Al Wilson, and Eric Berry tweet about their love for UT, you're deluding yourself. I attended the O/W game on Saturday and felt my old flame stir again. I really feel we'll have a decent season. I think we'll play more competitively. I don't think we'll give up half way through the third quarter...if not before. I think I'll find myself, once again, in the position of believing we CAN win when down in the fourth.

So, it was with those things in mind that for the first time today, officially, I became the proud owner of two University of Tennessee Football Season Tickets. I have dreamed for years of being a season ticket owner. I realize I had the tickets for a couple of years earlier, but somehow this seems different. They are MINE.

I am excited about what's to come for our team...this year and in the near future. I think it will be good. It obviously strikes a chord with me to produce such a literary opus to say....

TL;DR I bought season tickets this year for the first time.

:boobies::machgun::gun::clapping::peace2::number1::cheer::3cheers::baloon::girl1::fireworks:

In real life, I don't know a single person who doesn't think Jones is the real deal. And that includes fans of other teams.

We buy my dad and step-mom's tickets every year since she can go anymore.

Congrats!! What section are you in?

I don't know of any that are married that doesn't think CBJ is the real deal either, ready for the season to start.

My #STH are Z12 Row 42 seat 7-8

First time I took my son he was 6 and said, "Dad I have never seen this much orange! Are we in heaven!?!?" We have just adopted a 2 yr old and can't wait to take him in a few years.

congratulations on your FIRST set of season tickets for our vol games.i started as a freshman in 1966(talk about old!),went to every home game during my 4 years there.went to all the home games after that until 76 courtesy of coccession friends and other track team guys.the point being,in 1979 my lovely wife and i moved to knoxville;but,couldn't go to games at home,no tickets.my dad had bought season tickets my freshman year and had kept them always.he gave us his tickets for the auburn game.amy,my wife,went to her first vol game.we sat in section n.i told her if anything happened at the start,the stadium would go "beeserk".she marveled at the orange and white dress of fans.opening kickoff,ggary moore took the kickoff 97 yards for a touchdown.it was ON!amy was worried thatthe stands would come down.she still recounts that game to others.having your searon tickets is a wonderful accomplishment.i hope the stadium is up for grabs for you and yours for years to come.GO VOLS and GET'EM BUTCH!!!

Reactions: 2 people
First time I took my son he was 6 and said, "Dad I have never seen this much orange! Are we in heaven!?!?" We have just adopted a 2 yr old and can't wait to take him in a few years.

Almost heaven, Tenn-uh-see-e
Smoky Mountains, Tenn-uh-see-e River
Life is old there, older than the trees
Younger than the mountains, blowing like a breeze

Chorus:
Country roads, take me home
To the place I belong
Tenn-uh-see-e, Mountain Mama
Take me home, country roads

All my memories, gathered 'round her
Miners' Lady, stranger to blue water
Dark and dusty, painted on the sky
Misty taste of moonshine, teardrop in my eye

With only a few minor revisions, John Denver could truly have had a masterpiece.

I don't dread watching us, and I know we have a rough road. I dreaded every game the last two years.
Something to be said for that right now.

VN Store

Back