Look at Mark Helfrich

Other_Guy

foolishFool
1st year as a head coach. Oregon looks just as good without Chip Kelly, if not poised for a title WIN. Is he a better coach?

Oregon has loads of talent, depth and playmakers and is a very stable program. A lot of coaches could walk in there and win (yes I realize it's still early). Helfrich is unproven. Swap him with Jones and watch the same outcome.

Just something to think about when you wanna spout off about coaching :)

Reactions: 3 people
well then, people had better come up with a consistent opinion.

because a lot of people think the talent is there, it just needs to be coached up.

when everyone accepts that talent is a problem, butch jones will get the pass he deserves.

Reactions: 5 people

because a lot of people think the talent is there, it just needs to be coached up.

when everyone accepts that talent is a problem, butch jones will get the pass he deserves.

Haha

That's not happening

Reactions: 1 person
He is better....this team is better....Oregon control the game yesterday and dictated ever aspect of it at the 9 minute mark...this team is awesome and is not a team to measure on period

1st year as a head coach. Oregon looks just as good without Chip Kelly, if not poised for a title WIN. Is he a better coach?

Oregon has loads of talent, depth and playmakers and is a very stable program. A lot of coaches could walk in there and win (yes I realize it's still early). Helfrich is unproven. Swap him with Jones and watch the same outcome.

I thought the coaching match-up was supposed to be in Butch's favor yesterday. Butch looked lost at times. The look on Butch's face when he declined the penalty against Oregon and they turned around and went for it on 4th down was quite telling. I think he knew he was in for a long day.

I think/hope Butch learns from this and comes out firing next week. The schedule doesn't let up.

learning on the job is also tough

butch and co. got one-upped all day yesterday from a scheme standpoint

The "one-up" happened for several years long before yesterday's game...recruiting...to play in the same system.

No the problem is when dools was the coach the sunshine pumpers were saying he knew what he was doing by getting high character 3 stars that wanted to wear the orange n coach them up but now they sux sine cbj arrived.. they can't have it both ways.

Most know that won't cut it in the sec ..so no not elite talent we all know this. However he did recruit top 15 talent n other schools do quite well with top 15 or less.. so I believe ut fans are just asking why we underachieve so much lately.

I've said all along that recruiting is job 1 n it has to be top 3 to get back quick n top 5 just to survive at this point for tn.

On our Coaches no one get a year zero.. leaders show tendency that will reflect how they will coach regardless of talent n the oc showed some tendencies that are that encouraging .. if that the power spread he is bringing ...wow

We'll see how Helfrich does once he is playing with players that he recruited. He inherited a loaded roster with tons of talent that was specifically recruited for Chip Kelly's offense. The offense is the same.

CBJ inherited zero and is piecing his offense together with what he had to work with.

He was the OC.

They didn't change anything

Yep. He is probably doing more. He was probably held back...
He does a great job attacking weak points. Try to stop the run and they hit the WR quick with blockers. Try to stop the pass and the QB beats you with his legs. They always have multiple blockers in front leading the way.

Also, take a look at Helfrich's results as OC in Colorado under Dan Hawkins. 2-10 in 2006. The offense didn't even score a touchdown in a few games. Colorado slowly improved over the next few years, before Helfrich bolted for Oregon in 2009. They slid back to 3-9 once that happened, and Dan Hawkins was eventually fired.

Helfrich deserves a lot of credit, but he stepped into a much more established situation, with a ton of continuity. Put Helfrich at Tennessee and Butch Jones at Oregon and the results would have been similar.

A lot of people don't know very much about football.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Oregon's nick aliotti is one of the best DC in the country when it comes to scheme and technique, watch the way his DL played. Notice the stance they were in.

I thought the coaching match-up was supposed to be in Butch's favor yesterday. Butch looked lost at times. The look on Butch's face when he declined the penalty against Oregon and they turned around and went for it on 4th down was quite telling. I think he knew he was in for a long day.

I think/hope Butch learns from this and comes out firing next week. The schedule doesn't let up.
Butch was showing the team he believes they can do the job. It will pay off in the future.

Their team did look good. HOWEVER, they also had loads of penalties. This shows a lack of discipline that is usually a result of COACHING. They will lose a big game due to penalties.

He was the OC.

They didn't change anything

They've changed a bit. I said all along I expected Oregon to throw the ball more this year. Oregon did a really poor job throwing in the first two games. Much better against Tenn and that really changed how Tenn could defend the Ducks.

We'll see how Helfrich does once he is playing with players that he recruited. He inherited a loaded roster with tons of talent that was specifically recruited for Chip Kelly's offense. The offense is the same.

CBJ inherited zero and is piecing his offense together with what he had to work with.

Helfrich followed, and is benefitting from, Kelly.

CBJ followed, and benefitted from, another Kelly ...... Twice.

He is on his own now.

VN Store

Back