Look at this espn matchup predictor

I think the scoring drought thing is way overblown. I wish somebody tracked this statistic.

I’m willing to bet we are really close to national average in terms of frequency. And I guarantee you we are top 10 in forcing them.
We force more than we have but we really do have them and it really has been an issue.

I think Sagarin has Tn by 5 but a Badger win wouldn't surprise me or dampen my hopes of a good season for our guys. This will be a tough road game, but Barnes likes to test them early.

I think Sagarin has Tn by 5 but a Badger win wouldn't surprise me or dampen my hopes of a good season for our guys. This will be a tough road game, but Barnes likes to test them early.
We may look back and say this was the toughest non-conference game of the year. Wouldn't suprise me. It's hard to say this early.

I think it’s more so we have these draughts in big games. If we have a draught against Austin peay so what. But when we have it yearly in our NCAAT games it’s much more memorable

That still isn’t any different than any other team though. Pretty sure last year when Top 5 Alabama came to town we held them scoreless in long stretches. I bet their fans were complaining about not being able to put the ball in the hoop then as well.

All teams have trouble scoring the basketball at times. It’s just part of the game. Like I said, it won’t make you feel any better about it and people will still blame Barnes for it, but whenever we get a new coach after Barnes retires, I guarantee the same thing will happen.

That still isn’t any different than any other team though. Pretty sure last year when Top 5 Alabama came to town we held them scoreless in long stretches. I bet their fans were complaining about not being able to put the ball in the hoop then as well.

All teams have trouble scoring the basketball at times. It’s just part of the game. Like I said, it won’t make you feel any better about it and people will still blame Barnes for it, but whenever we get a new coach after Barnes retires, I guarantee the same thing will happen.
Just seems like we have nuclear meltdowns yearly in the NCAAT. These aren’t just mild meltdowns of a few minutes but they’re prolonged draughts. Like I said earlier though I feel really positive this season we have some elite scorers

Just seems like we have nuclear meltdowns yearly in the NCAAT. These aren’t just mild meltdowns of a few minutes but they’re prolonged draughts. Like I said earlier though I feel really positive this season we have some elite scorers

Nothing I can say is going to change your mind, but I’ll just reiterate that you probably feel this way because you are a Tennessee fan. I could name quite a few teams who have had some “nuclear meltdowns” in the tournament the past few years.

But, I get it. People won’t overlook it until Barnes gets to at least 1 Elite 8.

I think this will be one of our toughest non-conference tests. An experienced team on their home court in just the 2nd game of the season with little time for the newcomers to gel.

We get Illinois at home and NC State on a neutral court. Outside of UNC, I think this will be one of the toughest games we play before January and that includes Maui.

You just can’t discount how tough it is for teams to win on the road in college basketball. I expect a close loss, but I do think we’re the better team and hope to be pleasantly surprised tomorrow night.

I heard tomorrow night is the start of Cow Tipping season in Madison. Lots of fans will be preoccupied

Gonna be a tough game. We can’t go on those 5 minute long scoreless draughts Barnes has become notorious for. I do have a special feeling about this season though I can’t really describe it
Get ready for a few. Wisconsin hangs their hat on defense and doesn’t score a ton

Nothing I can say is going to change your mind, but I’ll just reiterate that you probably feel this way because you are a Tennessee fan. I could name quite a few teams who have had some “nuclear meltdowns” in the tournament the past few years.

But, I get it. People won’t overlook it until Barnes gets to at least 1 Elite 8.
I've said it many times. The narrative on Barnes and the NCAA Tournament has to be changed by him and his team not fans arguing on a message board. His results really are below his level of regular season success. Nobody is making that up. Beating Duke to get to the Sweet Sixteen certainly helps that cause but he needs a little more.

Reactions: 67Vol and walkenvol
I've said it many times. The narrative on Barnes and the NCAA Tournament has to be changed by him and his team not fans arguing on a message board. His results really are below his level of regular season success. Nobody is making that up. Beating Duke to get to the Sweet Sixteen certainly helps that cause but he needs a little more.

Sure. Yeah. I don’t necessarily disagree. But we’ve been to the Sweet 16 in 2 of the last 4 NCAAT and I guarantee you there are only a handful of coaches right now with better March performances. I’m not saying we should make excuses, but I’m just pointing out that people’s warped opinions of Barnes are just because they pay close attention to our program and not other ones.

How do you think Purdue fans feel lately? Getting bounced by a 16-seed. What about Florida fans? A program that won back to back national titles but under the past few coaches can’t make it out of the first weekend or even make the NCAAT. How about fans of Arizona? A storied program that hasn’t made the Final Four since 2001 and has gotten bounced by a 15-seed and a 13-seed in two of their past 3 appearances. And how about those Kentucky Wildcats? One of the most historic programs and lately their fans have just been hoping to MAKE the tournament let alone win it. And they bring in far more talent than we ever do. I could go on and on on the nuclear meltdown front.

The truth is we’re a program that has never made a Final Four and since Barnes has been here we’ve had major success in the regular season making UT basketball something to enjoy and we’ve experienced some at least respectable March success.

Sure. Yeah. I don’t necessarily disagree. But we’ve been to the Sweet 16 in 2 of the last 4 NCAAT and I guarantee you there are only a handful of coaches right now with better March performances. I’m not saying we should make excuses, but I’m just pointing out that people’s warped opinions of Barnes are just because they pay close attention to our program and not other ones.

How do you think Purdue fans feel lately? Getting bounced by a 16-seed. What about Florida fans? A program that won back to back national titles but under the past few coaches can’t make it out of the first weekend or even make the NCAAT. How about fans of Arizona? A storied program that hasn’t made the Final Four since 2001 and has gotten bounced by a 15-seed and a 13-seed in two of their past 3 appearances. And how about those Kentucky Wildcats? One of the most historic programs and lately their fans have just been hoping to MAKE the tournament let alone win it. And they bring in far more talent than we ever do. I could go on and on on the nuclear meltdown front.

The truth is we’re a program that has never made a Final Four and since Barnes has been here we’ve had major success in the regular season making UT basketball something to enjoy and we’ve experienced some at least respectable March success.
We are on the cusp. We are an efficient offense away from kicking the door in. Everything else is in place. That's probably why I was nit picking the offense against Tech.

Losing this game will feel like a big deal but it really want be.

Hey, guess what? I'm watching the Virginia-Florida game right nows. Florida was up 12-4 and has since gone on a 4:30 drought without scoring point. Guess Tennessee isn't the only team that has scoring issues occasionally.

VN Store

Back