Looking At The Relative Weakness Of The SEC This Season...

I believe the bracketology has them both in, not too farfetchd. Those two teams can play and have RPI's comparable to and in some cases better than UK, Florida, Ole Miss, Bama, LSU, Auburn, and Georgia. That's better than half of the SEC.
I know, but they're in CUSA.... That doesn't help them.

If UAB and Houston got in this year it would lend a great deal of credibility to a league that is getting better year after year. UAB had a down year during the first year of the coaching change, but are bouncing back nicely. I hope these two teams make it over some others. They deserve it.

They do deserve it, but there is a lot of elitism going on in the selection room.

The SEC has only 3 locks: UT, Vandy and Miss State. UF, UK, and Ark are on the bubble and need some quality wins to get in.

Ole Miss is 4-9 in the SEC. Kentucky is 10-3. I'd call that a discernable difference.

Yeah well, KY has 1 guaranteed, 2 potential losses left in the SEC (TN = guar. and FL = potential). Here are a few facts about your ole KY (who should NOT get into the tourney).

1) Loss to Gardner Webb by 16
2) Killed by 16 vs. Indiana
3) Lost to UAB, San Diego, AND Houston
4) Loss to Louisville by 14
5) Road SEC Losses against Miss. St, Florida (11), and the big one VANDERBILT (by 41!)
6) Barely able to beat GA (by 5) and Auburn (by 3) on the road.

Their only quality SEC wins ALL come at home (TN, Vandy, Arkansas)
So to recap:
1) They suck on the road
2) They got beat not once, but four times by poor quality teams they should never lose to
3) They are 2-3 against ranked teams, with both their victories being close wins at home with pro KY reffing
4) They lost to Vanderbilt by 41!!!! (This alone should keep them out)

Looking at this, it's apparent that KY belongs no where near the NCAA tourney. There is a good chance they will lose @ South Carolina also considering how bad they are on the road.
I think Arkansas deserves it alot more because they didn't lose to garbage teams, have some quality wins, and had a myriad of tough quality games on the road.
TN, Vandy, Miss St, and Arkansas should make the tourney.
A 5th SEC team will probably get in and it will come down to KY or FL. If FL beats KY at Rupp, they get in. Let's do all we can to embarrass KY on Sunday and make sure they have no chance of getting into the tourney.

The sec is weak now but give it a year or two, it will be as tough as there is.

Uhh..arky lost to SC at arky. that's not quality. lack of PG help has killed them on the road, hurt them some at home and would doom them in the tourney.

Arkansas lost at home to Appallachian State. Also, that terrible Kentucky team you were rambling on about beat them. That Providence loss is also very impressive for the Hogs. Just look how well the Friars are doing in the Big East.

Yep - Arkansas hasn't done anything to make me think they should be in. UT, Vandy and Miss. State will (unless MSU somehow doesn't get to 21 wins).

UF probably will get in too, and UK could if they make it to the finals of the SEC tourney. Ole Miss is out.

Arkansas lost at home to Appallachian State. Also, that terrible Kentucky team you were rambling on about beat them. That Providence loss is also very impressive for the Hogs. Just look how well the Friars are doing in the Big East.
I have been surprised by the near disappearance of Beverley. Weems has done his part, but PB has left the ship.

It's really great to see what an upgrade over Stan Heath that John Pelphrey has been.

It's really great to see what an upgrade over Stan Heath that John Pelphrey has been.

To be perfectly fair, Arkansas was 16-11 (5-8) through 27 games last season.

this year they are 18-9 (7-6) Not a vast improvement, but still technically better.

Yeah, that kind of improvement certainly merits paying a seven figure buyout and paying Pelphrey considerably more than Stan Heath was making. Another brilliant move by Frank Broyles. Pelphrey and Petrino are nice final gifts to Arkansas fans from Foolish Frank.

Yeah, that kind of improvement certainly merits paying a seven figure buyout and paying Pelphrey considerably more than Stan Heath was making. Another brilliant move by Frank Broyles. Pelphrey and Petrino are nice final gifts to Arkansas fans from Foolish Frank.

I think John Pelphrey will do just fine there. I hope Petrino causes that football team to implode, however.

John Pelphrey couldn't win consistently at South Alabama, which has the best facilities and most resources in the Sun Belt. He'll be lucky to accomplish as much in Fayetteville as Heath did.

John Pelphrey couldn't win consistently at South Alabama, which has the best facilities and most resources in the Sun Belt. He'll be lucky to accomplish as much in Fayetteville as Heath did.

Look at his first year versus every year after that. I think his main problem coaching-wise his some inconsistency in his decision making. I think the more decisive he is the better his team will get.

Frank didn't do the Petrino deal

Look at his first year versus every year after that. I think his main problem coaching-wise his some inconsistency in his decision making. I think the more decisive he is the better his team will get.
the real weakness is that they go through long stretches where it appears they have no coach.

The reason for that is simple. Rob Evans is the only person on that bench remotely qualified to be an SEC coach and Pelphrey hired him purely for window dressing. If Evans were the head coach, the Hogs would have no more than 3 SEC losses.

It's not even about wins or losses. Andy Kennedy is an incredible coach. Look at who they lost, and the Freshman Coach Kennedy's let in to contribute. He's gotten the most out of his squad. Sure they had a tough stretch and have collapsed as of late, but this Ole Miss team is going to be tough these next couple of years. Look at who you're going up against. 3 of the biggest hyped names in cbb. Donovan, Gillispie, Pearl, in any other conference the outside media would be praising Andy for the job he's done in 2 short years. He's very underated in my opinion

It's not even about wins or losses. Andy Kennedy is an incredible coach. Look at who they lost, and the Freshman Coach Kennedy's let in to contribute. He's gotten the most out of his squad. Sure they had a tough stretch and have collapsed as of late, but this Ole Miss team is going to be tough these next couple of years. Look at who you're going up against. 3 of the biggest hyped names in cbb. Donovan, Gillispie, Pearl, in any other conference the outside media would be praising Andy for the job he's done in 2 short years. He's very underated in my opinion

I think he's done a good job. But at the beginning of the year everyone was thinking he'd be a leading candidate for NCOY if Ole Miss could keep it up. They haven't. He's a good coach, but not nearly as good as I thought he was. Losing to Auburn at home is not something that should be done. Especially when they went undefeated at home last season.

Of course Ole Miss couldn't keep it up, that would mean they would have a zero in the loss column.

UK had a much worse loss at home to Garner-Webb, but that doesn't mean CBG isn't a great coach.

Of course Ole Miss couldn't keep it up, that would mean they would have a zero in the loss column.

UK had a much worse loss at home to Garner-Webb, but that doesn't mean CBG isn't a great coach.

:banghead2:

They are 4-9 in the SEC. Kentucky is currently 10-3 in a harder SEC East. Why are you comparing the two? Bottom line is Andy KEnnedy is a good coach. But nowhere near as good as he looked at the beginning of the year.

By the way: "keeping it up" meant keeping a decent season going. They are below respectable right now.

VN Store

Back