Looking forward to next year

UTFranklinVol

We face a big challenge with Texas and Oklahoma entering the SEC and every year from here on our will be tougher that any year that has passed. Looking at our schedule next year, one thing is clear. Our coaches above all else need to be teaching me tal toughness and resilience.

I'm going to call right now that Tennessee will not lose a game at home next year. We can handle all of that competition. But we have huge challenges having to go to Norman and Athens that I think will be the key to the entire season.

I don't think we will be as down next year as we were this year. Let me rephrase that. Tennessee cannot afford to be down again next year. We will have lost all the recruiting momentum we had coming off of 2022 and all the hype around Heupel. If we stumble badly next year it could be the beginning of end. If we don't begin landing top 5 recruiting classes we will never keep up with Georgia, Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma and LSU. We BELONG in that list but we have to win first.

I think we handle our business at home in front of our crowd. If we can find our mental toughness on the road we will find ourselves at the big kids table and not at the card table in the hallway.

Reactions: feathersax
I hear you, but I think you’re setting yourself up to be disappointed next season.
This isn't about my expectations or my disappointment. That doesn't matter. This is more about what HAS to happen. Heupel has had 3 years to get his ducks in a row and the train is leaving the station in the SEC. He has to make sure UT is on that train.

If this year was the "reset" because Milton was just a seat warmer for Nico, then now is "go" time. Time to step up and earn that SEC money (coached AND players)

This isn't about my expectations or my disappointment. That doesn't matter. This is more about what HAS to happen. Heupel has had 3 years to get his ducks in a row and the train is leaving the station in the SEC. He has to make sure UT is on that train.
You’re not wrong, I’m just a little more lenient on him beginning with what he walked into. I think last year just happened to be a perfect storm of a combination of things. This is going to be a younger team next year unless Heupel goes at the portal hard. He’ll need to exceed some expectations next year to continue to improve recruiting, but we have to give him some time to also coach those recruits up. Imo, I wouldn’t at all be shocked at an 7-5/8-4 season next year. There’s too many questions for me to expect more.

Reactions: Zues1
Next year's team looks like it will be very young, and depending on who comes in via the portal, very inexperienced as well. I've felt since Heupel was hired that 2025 would be the season where we would know if he's the guy, and I feel that way more than ever now.

But if Nico turns out to be the real deal and the last couple of recruiting classes continue to develop, there's no reason why we can't win 8-9 games and set ourselves up to be contenders in 2025, when the team depth will begin to reach SEC level

Just think 9-3 MIGHT get you in the playoffs.....

Any 10-2 SEC team will be a lock just purely off of strength of schedule. If an SEC team wins all games expected, knocks off a highly ranked opponent, but loses to say 3 teams that are in the top 7 or higher nationally.....a 9-3 team may sneak in

LSU is sitting at #13 right now. They would be higher if not for the strange perfect storm of a year this has been for several teams. I can't remember a season ever that has so many undefeated and 1 loss teams at the end of a season. It is nuts.

Last edited:
You’re not wrong, I’m just a little more lenient on him beginning with what he walked into. I think last year just happened to be a perfect storm of a combination of things. This is going to be a younger team next year unless Heupel goes at the portal hard. He’ll need to exceed some expectations next year to continue to improve recruiting, but we have to give him some time to also coach those recruits up. Imo, I wouldn’t at all be shocked at an 7-5/8-4 season next year. There’s too many questions for me to expect more.
He has to certainly work the portal to get some serious talent to Knoxville and they have to be ready to play immediately and at a high level.

We might win 8 games
7 wins.... assuming Nico stays healthy. With our injury curse, I have a ton of concern that he won't. Heupel needs this class and the next in the top 10. He needs a huge year in the portal this year, too. All that comes to pass and I think we'll be well equipped to run with the big boys in the SEC. Next year depends on how we fare in the portal.

Reactions: Rocky Top T
Next year will be rough.

Yeah, Nico is talented but if you expect him to magically win 10+ games behind a very inexperienced O-Line, then I have some land to sell you.
Next season will be rough for every team in the SEC with the addition of 'Horns & 'Okies. Better strap 'em on tight. :cool:

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

If this year was the "reset" because Milton was just a seat warmer for Nico, then now is "go" time. Time to step up and earn that SEC money (coached AND players)
if it was a reset then why play Milton at all.

Next year bodes well because of our schedule.

Our road games are Arkansas, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Vandy. 2 of those road games are manageable. The other two are likely losses. I think we get Florida next year playing them at home. We also have Miss State which, on paper, looks like a win. We will also get Kentucky.

NC State could be tricky but if Tennessee wins that one, 9-3 seems to be likely with 10-2 possible if they can upset Alabama in Neyland.

I just think the schedule is a lot more favorable next year with a lot of the swing games at home instead of on the road. Heupel has shown that his teams play a lot better in Neyland.

Next year will be rough.

Yeah, Nico is talented but if you expect him to magically win 10+ games behind a very inexperienced O-Line, then I have some land to sell you.
I expect 10+ wins next year. That’s what top 10 programs do. Time for Josh to get it done.I’m expecting wins against OU, UF, and Alabama.

Reactions: OffTackleVol
if it was a reset then why play Milton at all.

Because Nico wasn't physically or probably mentally ready for the SEC grind. This kid might be very special, and to get him beaten up before he's ready to lead an SEC team would be coaching malpractice of the highest order. This isn't Madden.

Next year will be rough.

Why are you assuming the OL will be inexperienced? It’s not out of the realm of possibility that Mays and Spraggs come back and some others. Plus if they hit the portal hard and get some experienced OL, it won’t be anywhere near what you think. We could easily win 10 next year.

I am much more worried about the LBs and DBs than the OL.

Reactions: TN1111
Next year bodes well because of our schedule.

Our road games are Arkansas, Georgia, Oklahoma, and Vandy. 2 of those road games are manageable. The other two are likely losses. I think we get Florida next year playing them at home. We also have Miss State which, on paper, looks like a win. We will also get Kentucky.

NC State could be tricky but if Tennessee wins that one, 9-3 seems to be likely with 10-2 possible if they can upset Alabama in Neyland.

I just think the schedule is a lot more favorable next year with a lot of the swing games at home instead of on the road. Heupel has shown that his teams play a lot better in Neyland.
Why do you chalk up OU as a loss? They lost Lebby. He is one of the best OVs in the nation. That will be hard to replace.

Why do you chalk up OU as a loss? They lost Lebby. He is one of the best OVs in the nation. That will be hard to replace.

A few reasons.

1. Oklahoma is recruiting very well
2. Opening SEC game on the road (think Florida curse)
3. Heupel's teams have struggled heavily in road games
4. Oklahoma crowd will be into it

On paper, it just does not look like the top of game Tennessee traditionally wins, even when we are good.

If Nico is basically Barry Sanders back there with an arm then we might snag 9-10 wins. Otherwise, it's probably 7-8 wins again.

IF Coop, Sprag, and Campbell stay, with Mincey at RT, the OL should be significantly improved from the cluster we saw this season. ATP, I'm not sure why any of them would actually leave. None of them are being projected high in the draft. Coop and Sprag both skipped Senior day activities, so I choose to interpret that as if they're staying. Dayne Davis and Jackson Lampley also skipped, so there is depth too. I hope Nichols will finally take over the LG spot this time as this will be his 3rd year in the program, but am interested in what some of the other young guys do like Sham. LJ3, and Bussel.

Webb and Nimrod and maybe some of the younger talent should also be much improved over Keyton. If Bru decides to come back, and Thornton gets healthy, the WR room could drastically improve from this past season's inconsistency. I sincerely hope they all hit the Juggs machine hard and challenge each other to get over the YIPS for the next year.

I have no doubt that Nico will be much more consistent than Joe. He can make all the throws too and is much more elusive in the pocket and open field than Joe. I also think Sampson and Seldon are a dangerous combo and compliment each other perfectly in running style.

IF Coop, Sprag, and Campbell stay, with Mincey at RT, the OL should be significantly improved from the cluster we saw this season. ATP, I'm not sure why any of them would actually leave. None of them are being projected high in the draft. Coop and Sprag both skipped Senior day activities, so I choose to interpret that as if they're staying. Dayne Davis and Jackson Lampley also skipped, so there is depth too. I hope Nichols will finally take over the LG spot this time as this will be his 3rd year in the program, but am interested in what some of the other young guys do like Sham. LJ3, and Bussel.

Webb and Nimrod and maybe some of the younger talent should also be much improved over Keyton. If Bru decides to come back, and Thornton gets healthy, the WR room could drastically improve from this past season's inconsistency. I sincerely hope they all hit the Juggs machine hard and challenge each other to get over the YIPS for the next year.

I have no doubt that Nico will be much more consistent than Joe. He can make all the throws too and is much more elusive in the pocket and open field than Joe. I also think Sampson and Seldon are a dangerous combo and compliment each other perfectly in running style.
Agreed

There are a lot of potential additions and subtractions that could be the difference in a couple of wins or losses particularly DL/OL. Additionally, there is no certainty who is going to enter the portal and who we acquire from it. If a good chunk of those guys stay, then the outlook changes dramatically for us in a good way.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back