Loss in SEC tournament

LOL. Don't you even want to see the bracket first? This forum is reactionary .... and no, they were not inconsistent this season. They didn't play that poorly against Kentucky. The only thing wrong with that game is Kentucky was unconscious from behind the arc.
If anything they were consistent with how they struggled against a particular style of play. The weaknesses have been there

Not winning the SEC Tournament isn’t that big of a deal IF this team plays up to its potential in March Madness.

The problem is twofold:

(1) it’s one thing to lose in the SEC Tournament. It’s another thing altogether to get bounced in the first game in a blowout.

(2) It smells like another post season flop is brewing. That loss to MSU was really, really bad. With a possible #1 regional seed on the line, to not even show up is frustrating as a fan.

I’m hopeful that this team will show up for the NCAA Tournament and set the world on fire. Regular season success followed by post season underachievement has largely been the norm, unfortunately. We’ll have to wait and see.

The silver lining is that there are not many teams built like Miss. State with athletic size that can really move and defend. They are much better than their SEC record indicates.

There are only a handful of teams that can guard like them and the Vols can still win those type games if we don't have horrific shooting from the whole team. Aidoo and Awaka as no-shows is worrisome, though.

The silver lining is that there are not many teams built like Miss. State with athletic size that can really move and defend. They are much better than their SEC record indicates.

There are only a handful of teams that can guard like them and the Vols can still win those type games if we don't have horrific shooting from the whole team. Aidoo and Awaka as no-shows is worrisome, though.
I’m certainly not down or giving up on the Vols. The SEC tournament shows what happens when you have a team that is getting ready for the NCAA tournament versus a team that is trying to get to the tournament. Both the “bubble” teams, MSU and A&M bounced the top 2 seeds. Florida, which is trying to improve its seed, took out #3. Auburn is the only team avoiding the upset. Teams just playing like their hair is on fire while we were going through the motions. The thing that bothers me is that you can watch the first 2-3 minutes of our games and pretty much guess how it will go. It really all depends on how the refs call the game. If they allow full contact, drive to the basket and end up in the stands with no foul call, we know it is going to be a long day. We all know that we have several players that just vanish in those circumstances and I see no reason to name them. I can’t ever remember a time we came out and missed a bunch of open shots early where it didn‘t get in our head and continue. I sometimes feel that when the usual suspects are “off” right from the start maybe we should get them out early and see who may be having a better day. We tend to leave them in expecting it to change and by the time we try someone else, it’s too late. We all know who likes a physical game and who is just not cut out for it. It rarely happens, but I feel like we got outcoached yesterday. I think practice is going to be a bit rough these next few days.

I couldn't watch the game because I was at work, but I've watched enough of our BB games to know how we lost. MSU out hustled us and played in-your-face defense.
We reverted back to our Ole defense waving the red cape as they ran by and ripped the rims down.

I’m certainly not down or giving up on the Vols. The SEC tournament shows what happens when you have a team that is getting ready for the NCAA tournament versus a team that is trying to get to the tournament. Both the “bubble” teams, MSU and A&M bounced the top 2 seeds. Florida, which is trying to improve its seed, took out #3. Auburn is the only team avoiding the upset. Teams just playing like their hair is on fire while we were going through the motions. The thing that bothers me is that you can watch the first 2-3 minutes of our games and pretty much guess how it will go. It really all depends on how the refs call the game. If they allow full contact, drive to the basket and end up in the stands with no foul call, we know it is going to be a long day. We all know that we have several players that just vanish in those circumstances and I see no reason to name them. I can’t ever remember a time we came out and missed a bunch of open shots early where it didn‘t get in our head and continue. I sometimes feel that when the usual suspects are “off” right from the start maybe we should get them out early and see who may be having a better day. We tend to leave them in expecting it to change and by the time we try someone else, it’s too late. We all know who likes a physical game and who is just not cut out for it. It rarely happens, but I feel like we got outcoached yesterday. I think practice is going to be a bit rough these next few days.
You would think our coaching staff would already know how to manipulate the lineup based on a scouting report and having already played these teams in season.

We knew state would try to out physical us especially in the low post, yet we didn’t change starting lineup to put more physical players in until late.

Looking in hindsite, I would have liked to see Mashack, Awaka, Aidoo, Dk, Zz starting against the more physical and taller athletic teams like State.

You would think our coaching staff would already know how to manipulate the lineup based on a scouting report and having already played these teams in season.

We knew state would try to out physical us especially in the low post, yet we didn’t change starting lineup to put more physical players in until late.

Looking in hindsite, I would have liked to see Mashack, Awaka, Aidoo, Dk, Zz starting against the more physical and taller athletic teams like State.
*hyndsyght

Maybe they got a bad game out of their system just in time.
They had their worst game of the year against a team that is not a good matchup for them. The teams we want to avoid in the NCAA journey matchup wise are teams like MSU tall guards with big wingspans and that defend well, hard to shoot over and rebound. DK goes off on guard 6'-3" and less tall because of the size difference with same athleticism. Sadly we match up better with teams that are confident in their offense and try to win by out scoring teams and play cursory defense. It will be interesting if we land some teams in our bracket like MSU, A&M ,USCjr Fla Atlantic teams in this working class mode may be some of our worst match ups IMO.

Agreed. The problem is that we aren't very deep if those guys disappear and they're also guys who are upperclassmen leaders. SV and JJJ don't seem to mind physical games but them not being able to hit wide open shots is a problem. ZZ has been cold in the first half lately and Aidoo has been less effective.

That leaves us with Knecht expending a ton of energy and fighting double teams just to get 8-10 points. Not a recipe for success unless the opponent is ice cold or we are having a great defensive day.

VN Store

Back