Major rebuilding project...

CA_Vol

I think many on here don't understand or refuse to acknowledge how badly our program was hurt as a result of the one and done Kiffin year and the subsequent Dooley debacle.

First, more than 20 players from the sole Kiffin class either left the program or were kicked off the team. Think about that. That is the equivalent of a MAJOR scholarship reduction penalty from the NCAA. It destroys your depth and your ability to remain competitive if injuries mount in addition to the fact that many of those players were or should have been significant contributors to the rebuilding of the program.

Secondly, the Dooley-era showed a staff that just wasn't able to recruit the type of talent you have to have in order to compete with the Oregon's, Bama's, etc. I looked at the starting offensive lineup for yesterday's game and didn't see one proven playmaker on the field. I think North has ability, but our current QB has a major issue with throwing the ball down field with accuracy. We have an offensive line that is good at pass blocking, but really mediocre at run blocking. I ask you if you were a DC, who on this offense would scare you?

And C, our defense is a lethal combination of young and slow, period. I think we have some players that have real potential and ability, but guys we have walk ons getting significant playing time. To make things worse, we have ZERO depth at DT and it just keeps getting worse. If we can't pressure QB's, our defense is going to get exposed often.

My point is, Jones has a major rebuilding project ahead of him because the last two staffs put us way behind from a talent point of view. And the scariest part, we may be in a worse position next year when we have to replace our entire offensive line!

You could hear it from Jones in his post game interview that we just don't have the play makers to compete at any level with the premier programs in the SEC or elsewhere and I think a lot of Volnation got way ahead of itself thinking we should be a 7-8 win team. I ask you, who on this roster instills that level of confidence? I just don't see the playmakers, yet.

I think Jones has already shown his recruiting ability and I hope this class stays together during what I suspect will be a pretty tough season. Bottom line, until we recruit and retain top talent, we certainly can't be expected to compete with top programs. I think Butch can and will get us there, but our fanbase needs to come back to earth a bit, start to fill the stadium, and support this rebuilding project, because it is a significant one.

Reactions: 19 people
Completely agree with OP. Ain't nothing that can be done now---I think in 1 to 2 years we'll be better.

Exactly! Playing with discipline and determination will carry you far but you cannot make it to the top without raw talent. Jones seems to be able to recruit and we are gonna hafta dig in and tough it out.:thumbsup:

I didn't really realize how bad we are until yesterday.

Our vaunted O-Line is terribly over-rated. They are good in pass protection, but cannot open running lanes to save their lives. They are paper tigers.

We have no play-makers on Offense and Worley simply isn't an SEC-level QB.

We have little depth. We are basically missing an entire recruiting class and a half.

Our best talent is young and inexperienced, and our older players simply aren't producing.

It's going to take a few years and great recruiting classes until we are SEC-Champion material again.

Reactions: 2 people
I think it is the offensive line and the defensive backs that frustrates me most. Our oline can't run bock it all, I bought into the hype on these guys, I wish I would stop doing that. How many DB's did Dooley recruit? I remember him recruiting quite a few, now they are all sitting on the bench with freshman walk-on's playing.

It is going to take a few years for Butch to get the talent in here to be really competitive, but I am so tired of waiting till next year.

Reactions: 1 person
I didn't really realize how bad we are until yesterday.

Our vaunted O-Line is terribly over-rated. They are good in pass protection, but cannot open running lanes to save their lives. They are paper tigers.

We have no play-makers on Offense and Worley simply isn't an SEC-level QB.

We have little depth. We are basically missing an entire recruiting class and a half.

Our best talent is young and inexperienced, and our older players simply aren't producing.

It's going to take a few years and great recruiting classes until we are SEC-Champion material again.

I don't think you are alone. I think many just expected us to be in a better position, but the reality is we just didn't rebuild under Kiffin and Dooley. In many ways, they actually made a bad situation worse.

Entire OLine needs replaced next season - I havent been following the recruiting this early but does Jones have commits for it ?

I'll be patient, don't get me wrong, I'm still gonna be here when UT gets better but I just wanna see a good football team. The best team I've seen is the 2007 team. Vaguely remember the 06 team. At least most of you have seen UT win championships. This is the UT I've really known. It's frustrating...other programs get right back on top and pull shocking upsets...why can't we? Sorry...yesterdays game was really embarrassing. Just kind of have to vent...lol.

Peterman will be named the starter by week 7. Butch wanted him to run his Cincinnati offense. Dobbs will redshift. Worley will play next season at UTC or MTSU. Riley will be the backup until he graduates. All of this is a work in progress.

I think many on here don't understand or refuse to acknowledge how badly our program was hurt as a result of the one and done Kiffin year and the subsequent Dooley debacle.

First, more than 20 players from the sole Kiffin class either left the program or were kicked off the team. Think about that. That is the equivalent of a MAJOR scholarship reduction penalty from the NCAA. It destroys your depth and your ability to remain competitive if injuries mount in addition to the fact that many of those players were or should have been significant contributors to the rebuilding of the program.

Secondly, the Dooley-era showed a staff that just wasn't able to recruit the type of talent you have to have in order to compete with the Oregon's, Bama's, etc. I looked at the starting offensive lineup for yesterday's game and didn't see one proven playmaker on the field. I think North has ability, but our current QB has a major issue with throwing the ball down field with accuracy. We have an offensive line that is good at pass blocking, but really mediocre at run blocking. I ask you if you were a DC, who on this offense would scare you?

And C, our defense is a lethal combination of young and slow, period. I think we have some players that have real potential and ability, but guys we have walk ons getting significant playing time. To make things worse, we have ZERO depth at DT and it just keeps getting worse. If we can't pressure QB's, our defense is going to get exposed often.

My point is, Jones has a major rebuilding project ahead of him because the last two staffs put us way behind from a talent point of view. And the scariest part, we may be in a worse position next year when we have to replace our entire offensive line!

You could hear it from Jones in his post game interview that we just don't have the play makers to compete at any level with the premier programs in the SEC or elsewhere and I think a lot of Volnation got way ahead of itself thinking we should be a 7-8 win team. I ask you, who on this roster instills that level of confidence? I just don't see the playmakers, yet.

I think Jones has already shown his recruiting ability and I hope this class stays together during what I suspect will be a pretty tough season. Bottom line, until we recruit and retain top talent, we certainly can't be expected to compete with top programs. I think Butch can and will get us there, but our fanbase needs to come back to earth a bit, start to fill the stadium, and support this rebuilding project, because it is a significant one.

At the end of the 2015 season let's see what progress has been made by Jones. If he has made significant progress, then extend him. If he has not made significant progress, fire him.

Really? Akron almost upsets Michigan, North Dakota State upsets Kansas State and the list goes on.

Everyone talks about depth, lack of playmakers and so on. I can guarantee you that Akron lacks the talent and depth that Michigan does and that NDS lacks the depth of Kansas State yet they almost find a way to win or outright win the game. Why? It boils down to coaching or the lack there of. And what I mean by that is in how they gameplan, prepare their football teams and so on.

What I saw on Saturday (and very surprising to me) was a very bad game plan and an even worse execution of a bad game plan. I'm not trashing Coach Jones or trying to say that he is a bad Coach or needs to be gone etc. I'm just stating what should be obvious to everyone. I can guarantee you that there are Coach's out there that could take our current players and win. Right now. Again not trashing Coach Jones because I think he can win and will.

The problem with our fan base is that we have got so used to making excuses that we buy into them. Butch Jones does not buy into the excuses and I am sure that he would have much more respect for us as fans if we didn't either. I believe that he expects us to hold him to a higher standard and we should. No loss like the one we suffered on Saturday should be acceptable or excusable, period!

One game vs. no 2 in country. Lets not give up the ship just yet. We may still surprise somebody. Worley is well Worley. But all hope is not lost, lets see where we are at the end of the season.

Jones said in the presser that he didn't even have a 2nd offensive line to put in the game to get reps! Wow! That's a very telling sign of how far away we are from contending for anything. We must stick with Jones for at least 4-6 years if for no other reason, we need some talent and depth on the sidelines. I bought in to him in recruiting. The main test for me was/is in-game coaching. Lets hope his decisions have been based on the talent and depth, not his coaching philosophy.

The attrition from the Kiffin class plus the sub-par Dooley classes (and their attrition) have left us in a whole as deep as the abyss.

Peterman will be named the starter by week 7. Butch wanted him to run his Cincinnati offense. Dobbs will redshift. Worley will play next season at UTC or MTSU. Riley will be the backup until he graduates. All of this is a work in progress.

UTC has a pretty good starting quarterback in Jacob Huesman. I don't think Worley could beat him out of the starting position.

Interesting post. Hard to disagree, it seems logical. However, Worley looks worse due to receivers route running and defense recognition. The thing about your post is that we actually need a run threat at QB for this system to work most efficiently.

Should be this week......if we want to have a chance to beat Florida. The box will be loaded up on us to pass it. Florida ain't scared of footballs hitting the field with mild velocity. Watch and see the cameras catch all the signs around the field for Worley to......

replacedivots.jpg

VN Store

Back