Marlin Lane

A good number of people on here have shared the same sentiments as the OP since the Western game, but Neal is #1 for a reason. He's faster and stronger. Before this season and Lane's runs in the second half, he has not been a "strong" runner that's willing to lower his shoulder. He's gained confidence and strength since last year and his injury. I've enjoyed his improvement just as much as anyone, and I hope he keeps getting better and better, but Neal is still #1

Lane was noticeably better last year too. I'm surprised it's taken people THIS long to jump on Lane's bandwagon.

Lane does run with power and is similar to Hardesty in that regard, but is nowhere near as talented. To think Hardesty ran for 1,350 yards behind a line with two undersized walk on's starting, just picture what he would be able to do running behind this years line!! if only he had stayed healthy throughout his career here at UT.

He was really awesome to watch and if healthy he would have been one if the all time greats here. His running style just doesn't translate well for minimizing injuries or for longevity in the NFL, where as somebody like Arian Foster's style does.

Huh? I guess I need to watch the game for a third time because I remember him consistently getting the lean and powering through the tackle.
I have seen a little more tendency towards that from Neal ( which is encouraging), but he not as far along as Marlin IMO.

Lane is lowering his shoulder now. Before this season, he wasn't, or if he did, it wasn't effective. That's what I was saying. Should've used 'had' instead of 'has' I suppose

a rule added about people freaking out like little girls? Would be impossible to enforce IMO

I was thinking more like:

tumblr_m1vsu6OzC91qihztbo1_250.gif

Lane reminds me of hardesty also. He hits the hole hard and initiates the contact. I believe Neal has more potential to break long runs but Lane is a better over all back.

Such a beast that people will be calling for his job next year.... I don't think neither are world beaters, but lane over Neal gets a lot of play on this board for such a mediocre back...

Neal is the better back. The coaches seem to agree.

I swear after 2-0 this board is filled up with nothing but people wanting our starters removed. You would think we were 0-2.

Runs like a beast...just saying....i am surprised not many other people have mentioned it...he is great between the tackles...reminds me of Hardesty the way he runs....runs with a chip on his shoulder....Neal is much improved and may have better measurable, but i still think Lane is the better overall back and has more of a mean streak.

I feel like every other post mentions this. JMO

Neal is the better back. The coaches seem to agree.

I swear after 2-0 this board is filled up with nothing but people wanting our starters removed. You would think we were 0-2.

The backup is always the fan favorite.

Looking at the number of carries Saturday, doesn't look like the coaches favor either.
They like the two back tandem.
Two different styles. No need to see one better than the other.

Reactions: 1 person
I just don't understand why he is always 2nd string behind Neal...what matters is in te games and anyone with eyes can tell Lane is the better runner...maybe Neal has more potential, but Lane gets thersults consistently when he is in the and always manages to run north/south....Lane must have a really bad attitude behind the scenes is all i can figure..even Gator fans last year were telling me Lane should be the starter...anyone can see it. He is the only back we have capable of making an NFL roster IMO.

Neal has been the clear-cut better RB in both of the first two games. The difference hasn't been huge, but it has been clear. Lane missed way too many holes against WKU. His stat line was skewed because of his drives in the 4th Quarter after the WKU DL had quit and the OL was having their way with them.

Lane hits the hole harder and has that "twitch" or studder step, all while still moving downhill. Neal just doesn't have that in his arsenal.

On this...Jones punted an a 4th an 1 last week. WK then drove down to score cutting the lead to 14. With our line and two RB's why not go for it? It's a kick in the gut when the line bows up pounds the defense over and over...we should go for and make all 4th and 1 plays.

I think he's a good back to I like the way he hits up in there. Now if we can get Neal to run with a little more attitude we will be pretty good in the backfield.

The OP has not read this board much if he hasn't seen comments lauding Lane over Neal ad nauseum.

Lane hits the hole harder and has that "twitch" or studder step, all while still moving downhill. Neal just doesn't have that in his arsenal.

I like Lane. But somehow guys like you miss when Neal runs violently and punishes DB's.... and also miss it when Lane dances and runs up the backs of OL's.

They are BOTH good RB's. Why it is necessary to put one of them down... eludes me.

Reactions: 1 person
What the hell, might as well start Summerhill and Hill. After they gas the defense CBJ can put in Neal and Lane for some awesome yardage. Sounds like a solid VN plan.

If you look at Neal and Lane side by side one looks more the part. Then the same one that stands out is stronger and faster... Like them both but Neal is the "starter" for a reason.

VN Store

Back