Marvin on our March Madness futility

Savannahbayvol

pretty pathetic for a program with the resources we have. And once again it started a long time before Barnes got here.

Reactions: TNRazor
To stay the course..........Vols get to S16 and then get blown out!!
Wouldn't we have to face Creighton? If it's those guys, you might have just been prophetic. You never say never, but that's a bunch I can't see us beat with the way we're playing. I think it would be pretty ugly.

Wouldn't we have to face Creighton? If it's those guys, you might have just been prophetic. You never say never, but that's a bunch I can't see us beat with the way we're playing. I think it would be pretty ugly.
We wet the bed against MSU but we'd probably beat Creighton with how we played against UK, and moreso how we played the previous three games. So far our bad games have been a few one ofs. We haven't followed one bad effort with another.

Reactions: berryvol
Second round will be super tough for both us and Creighton should we both get out of R1! Akron is a tough team, and Freeman is an exceptional player for them.

I obviously think we both do make it, but hey, crazy things happen in March! Should we end up with the Jays, they are a scary offensive team when firing on all cylinders. That adj off of 120.6 is legit, and Kalkbrenner is just a monster defensively. I don't know how well Jonas can do with a player of his caliber on D. Let's hope Kim English spills the beans on their approach from the Big East Tourney. Phone that friend, Rick!

R2 for both teams will be super interesting, but I'm not one to look past Saint Pete at this point. Don't know enough about them to put anything down yet.

pretty pathetic for a program with the resources we have. And once again it started a long time before Barnes got here.

Excellent summary of our "futility" which this old Vol fan calls a "curse". Folks in my generation lived it all. Youngsters should read it and then they might just understand the outlook(nega) that some of us possess. It's been ingrained in us over decades of heartbreak and disappointment.. It's something of a coping mechanism as well as a defense mechanism. In short, BVS is very real for us senior Vol fans. We expect the worst and guard against it....all while we pray that we're wrong and relish being so. Personally, the absolute worst were the Ernie/Bernie exits. Younger fans can't appreciate the kind of talent they had as well as the rosters they were a part of. To this day, I still cannot accept that that duo didn't come away with more post season success. The other that really made me a believer in a curse was that '99 debacle. How in hades does Black, Yarbrough and TONY FREAKING WHITE, go 4-24 against SW Missouri State?? Only one answer....the curse is real!

edit: Marvin West is a treasure. They really, REALLY don't make 'em like him anymore. Compared to today's "contributors", he's like 2" bone in rib eye compared to tofu.

Last edited:
I've watched alot of Big East games this year. We'll handle Creighton. Uconn is the only BE team who should beat us if we bring our A/B game. Shut down Ryan in the middle and we win the game vs Creighton. I'd rather play them than SC again. Don't love our bracket, but it's all in front of us if we do our thing. Big "if" though.

Excellent summary of our "futility" which this old Vol fan calls a "curse". Folks in my generation lived it all. Youngsters should read it and then they might just understand the outlook(nega) that some of us possess. It's been ingrained in us over decades of heartbreak and disappointment.. It's something of a coping mechanism as well as a defense mechanism. In short, BVS is very real for us senior Vol fans. We expect the worst and guard against it....all while we pray that we're wrong and relish being so. Personally, the absolute worst were the Ernie/Bernie exits. Younger fans can't appreciate the kind of talent they had as well as the rosters they were a part of. To this day, I still cannot accept that that duo didn't come away with more post season success. The other that really made me a believer in a curse was that '99 debacle. How in hades does Black, Yarbrough and TONY FREAKING WHITE, go 4-24 against SW Missouri State?? Only one answer....the curse is real!

edit: Marvin West is a treasure. They really, REALLY don't make 'em like him anymore. Compared to today's "contributors", he's like 2" bone in rib eye compared to tofu.
And that 00 loss to UNC in the sweet 16 was horrid. Wasn’t a good UNC team at all. They made final 4 that year in a year. Julius Peppers was on that team.

Yeah and Barnes has that reputation from Texas as well so that doesn't hurt our case...

Still, I just get this vibe that Barnes will get there eventually, not sure if it is this year or not. I am doubting we make it this year.

And that 00 loss to UNC in the sweet 16 was horrid. Wasn’t a good UNC team at all. They made final 4 that year in a year. Julius Peppers was on that team.

For me that's second to the 2001 SEC Championship game as the most gut punching loss in Vols sports.

We were up 64-57 with under 5:00 to play and had lead pretty much the whole game. We didn't score again until it was 70-64 with 14 seconds left. We talk about offensive droughts, that's still the all time worst IMO given the circumstances.

Reactions: OrangeInKy
For me that's second to the 2001 SEC Championship game as the most gut punching loss in Vols sports.

We were up 64-57 with under 5:00 to play and had lead pretty much the whole game. We didn't score again until it was 70-64 with 14 seconds left. We talk about offensive droughts, that's still the all time worst IMO given the circumstances.
Yeah, it was brutal, especially seeing the Elite 8 teams that year. Very winnable tournament for Tennessee and the exact moment I was ready for Green to get on to K Mart.

Marvin West is a Pro's Pro. I remember the Syracuse game, Tennessee got to play at HOME. Still; ... We won't see the likes of Marvin ever again. Enjoy him while we can......He should be "Marvelous Marvin"....

Yeah and Barnes has that reputation from Texas as well so that doesn't hurt our case...

Still, I just get this vibe that Barnes will get there eventually, not sure if it is this year or not. I am doubting we make it this year.

IF Vescovi hadn't disappeared this season, I would predict Tennessee to the Final 4. Imagine ANOTHER 3 point threat with ZZ & Dalton. Alas.

Last edited:
OF Vescovi hadn't disappeared this season, I would predict Tennessee to the Final 4. Imagine ANOTHER 3 point threat with ZZ & Dalton. Alas.

Yeah Vescovi and JJJ have always been inconsistent. They are great on the defensive side of the ball, especially JJJ who might be our best defender but struggle on the other side. When they are on, we are unbeatable.

I don’t think resources have anything to do with March expectations. We have a history of being a very good basketball program in the regular season - we’ve certainly had our down years, but we’re good more than we are bad. In spite of this success, we just can’t break through in march. Funny enough, three of the best programs to never make the FF reside in the SEC - Mizzou, Bama, UT.

Reactions: EasternVol

"Victory lies in the organization of the non-obvious" - PM Dawn (1991?)

IDK why, but that lyric is stuck in head since yesterday. Anyway, I hope you have a good day/week etc

Yeah, it was brutal, especially seeing the Elite 8 teams that year. Very winnable tournament for Tennessee and the exact moment I was ready for Green to get on to K Mart.

Our bracket was laid out for us to take the region. The top 3 seeds were upset and we would have had to beat #7 seed Tulsa to make the FF. Then we would have had Florida in the FF so we had our best chance to make the NC game that year.

Excellent post....And 110 percent correct on Marvin.

Good response, Cavput. Reading Marvin’s article makes me re-live some of the terrible outcomes from Mears and Devoe, then leading to Pearl and Barnes. Also, it does feel like a curse on Tennessee basketball, specifically, rather than shortcomings against any one coach. It’s like we all have a hex upon us….coaches, players, fans, etc.

Marvin mentions both the Michigan and Ohio State tournament losses games - for my money, that 2007 Ohio State game was the worse of the two. To be up 20, and then to see the officials hunker down and award Greg Oden and friends 35 - yes, THIRTY FIVE - free throws, which helped them win by one point at the end. The first time in ages I'd gotten to see a Tennessee NCAA basketball tournament game in person, and it had to be that one.

Last edited:
I know it's doom and gloom around here. Bleacherreport has us playing Uconn in the national championship game. They kinda had the same feeling I do. We were due for a dud game a few times a year. I'm glad we got that over with. I have faith this team can lock in and turn things around. We absolutely have the talent and skill to win it all and to be honest I would be more nervous going into the tournament having beaten Kentucky then winning the SEC championship. Everyone is down on Tennessee right now and I feel like we rise to the occasion when counted out. I got a great feeling this is going to be a special tournament with a lot of curses broken.

VN Store

Back