Marvin on our March Madness futility

The Braves had 8 Hall of Famers at some point during that stretch though.

This team has one guaranteed NBA guy.

UT basketball = The Braves of the Cox era
Barnes = Bobby Cox

All that success won them what, one World Series? They were built to win games over a long season. They were built to always beat the teams they should beat. They just weren't built for playoffs.

Barnes does much the same with UT. He has a "great" team this year... that can be counted on to have an offensive drought and drop a game once every 5-8 matches. Knecht helped a lot. But if he's cold there's really no one else who can consistently step in and score. UT also needed a dominant, physical big man on the post... or two or three. Awake is that type of play but just 6'8". The Vols needed a couple of guys like him but bigger.
It always amazed me how bad Glavine and Maddux pitched in the post season. It was like different people were wearing their uniforms.

UT basketball = The Braves of the Cox era
Barnes = Bobby Cox

All that success won them what, one World Series? They were built to win games over a long season. They were built to always beat the teams they should beat. They just weren't built for playoffs.

Barnes does much the same with UT. He has a "great" team this year... that can be counted on to have an offensive drought and drop a game once every 5-8 matches. Knecht helped a lot. But if he's cold there's really no one else who can consistently step in and score. UT also needed a dominant, physical big man on the post... or two or three. Awake is that type of play but just 6'8". The Vols needed a couple of guys like him but bigger.
Hey, the Braves won a WS. I’ll take a National Championship please

Reactions: sjt18
I still remember that well. That Gutheridge team of UNC wasn't good at all that entire season. I thought they were an NIT team,but got in due to name. Tennessee blowing that in Knoxville was surprising. That UNC team overachieved that year.
Are you saying that UNC beat them in a NCAA Tournament game in Knoxville? I believe that was in Austin, TX

Are you saying that UNC beat them in a NCAA Tournament game in Knoxville? I believe that was in Austin, TX
You're right. It's been a while. I remember them having them there and for some reason remembered incorrectly.

VN Store

Back