Matt Simms threw for 285...

The story for Simms was the 75% completion percentage, impressive, particularly because he was sacked seven times by the Eagles’ backup defense.

Shocker

Reactions: 4 people
Even if he never plays another down, which is doubtful considering the Jets QB problems, he can say he played on the big stage. Good for him, hope he makes the cut tomorrow.

Reactions: 3 people
I was very proud to see it. Good job simms! Bray also threw for 3 tds for the chiefs! They were both more productive than tebow has been the whole last year lol :)

Reactions: 2 people
Hope he continues to stitch shut the mouths of Simms haters who condemned him so often on this board. I just wonder how much he was held back by the unimaginative play calling of the staff at the time. Lacking Bray's high octave passing talent, he couldn't be the QB he was capable of being simply because he followed orders. Bray was a high risk gambler who could often make the gamble work. Simms was a soldier who followed his orders even if it meant another Charge of The Light Brigade.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
Both are with crappy franchises so who knows, but imagine two former vols starting ...sorry...theres a pretty good one in Denver too, THREE starting QB's in the league! Pulling for both of these guys along with all vols! GBO!

I like Rogers and have nothing personal against Simms. He was a terrible QB at UT though who was a half count late on virtually every throw.

The fact that this Rogers / Simms thread exists today brings a strong sense of humility to me. Bet me that this would have happened 2 years ago and you could have owned title to my home.

Be sure to check out the comments in that story. Some Jets fans are so desperate, they're ready to give him the start.

"Simms showed leadership and poise. Something we haven't seen in Gang Green in a few years."

"For the first time in ages, Jets fans got to see a Jets QB who could actually play QB. Time to declare Simms as starter."

"I honestly believe that if Rex wants to keep his job by the end of the season, he should start Matt Simms at QB."

n mo like dat

Hope he continues to stitch shut the mouths of Simms haters who condemned him so often on this board. I just wonder how much he was held back by the unimaginative play calling of the staff at the time. Lacking Bray's high octave passing talent, he couldn't be the QB he was capable of being simply because he followed orders. Bray was a high risk gambler who could often make the gamble work. Simms was a soldier who followed his orders even if it meant another Charge of The Light Brigade.
Dooley rented Simms until he could insert his guy for the future, Bray, into the creampuff end of our schedule.

Reactions: 1 person
Every time I hear of a former Dooley player doing well, I think about how big of a mistake hiring him was, every. fn. time...

He was in a preseason game which means nothing. Throwing against guys who will be bagging groceries or picking up trash next week.

I am as happy for him as I am surprised. I didn't think he had it in him, but he definitely has the toughness to play in the NFL, I hope he makes it.

Reactions: 1 person
Now, how many actually thought that would happen? I am happy for him, but he didn't show signs of an NFL QB at UT. Maybe it was Dooley's fault. But, you also have to look at the physical tools, and Simms does not have a great arm and did not put air under vertical passes. He certainly is tough and commanded the running game better than Bray, but he has limitations.

So, what?

Badmouthing a guy that has achieved more in his field than so many others who have tried? "This doctor didn't perform brain surgery on a celebrity, so his successful surgeries are not as worthwhile." Same concept. Why degrade the man for what he did last night?

He was in a preseason game which means nothing. Throwing against guys who will be bagging groceries or picking up trash next week.

Wow...we have a winner here folks Hater of the Year! I'm truly sorry that you live such a small miserable life that you feel compelled to hate on these kids success. They probably won't be on an NFL roster long but its a couple of former Vols trying to live their dream. Is it just too much to expect an "atta boy?" Its people like you that make the world a little worse than it could be. Hate on Hater.

VN Store

Back