Matt Simms

Not sure if this is the proper board, but was just curious what this guys been up to. Last I heard he was throwing footballs into trash cans in the NFL. An update on his current situation? Seeing as though he can throw into garbage cans, I assumed he might at least have gotten some garbage time in a game or 2

He is now the 3rd string qb for the Jets

Matt Simms ahead of Greg McElroy on New York Jets - NFL.com

Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News reported that the untested Matt Simms -- son of New York Giants legend Phil Simms -- took snaps with the third team during Thursday's practice. McElroy toiled with the No. 4s, duplicating the pecking order witnessed in last week's open session.

Matt Simms was coachable, and he managed the football game better than Bray. He had issues that Cutcliffe would have sorted within two games.

What people don't seem to realize is that Dooley and Chaney 1. never coached the guy, and 2. threw him to the lions as a sacrificial lamb. They even managed to throw a game away that we still could have won when Bray's first pass was a pick 6 against South Carolina.

Now, the kid is pulling NFL paychecks for a second year. Kudos to him. Boo to the Bamboo Brain Trust.

Reactions: 2 people
Isn't getting paid to play in the NFL for a second straight year the ultimate double bird to those on this board that continue to doubt the kid.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm extremely happy for him. He took a ton of hits for UT, and for the worst coach in UT history. I hope he keeps going.

I always liked the kid and he played thru some tuff beatdowns.
Good luck to him and I wish him the best!

Matt Simms was coachable, and he managed the football game better than Bray. He had issues that Cutcliffe would have sorted within two games.

What people don't seem to realize is that Dooley and Chaney 1. never coached the guy, and 2. threw him to the lions as a sacrificial lamb. They even managed to throw a game away that we still could have won when Bray's first pass was a pick 6 against South Carolina.

Now, the kid is pulling NFL paychecks for a second year. Kudos to him. Boo to the Bamboo Brain Trust.
1) Chaney definitely had a clue about coaching QBs.

2) Simms had zero ability to deliver the ball on time or feel pressure. He got yanked against SC after his second hold the ball/sack/fumble. After the pick 6, Bray threw for about 200 yards and made it a ball game.

I'm happy Simms has managed to catch on, but for all Dooley screwed up, the play of Matt Simms isn't one of them.

VN Store

Back