Media Reform:

bpalmer28

Have a system for licensing reporters and certifying reports similar to what we have for doctors, lawyers, and engineers. Form a governing body of reporters to serve a role similar to that which the Bar Association and Board of Engineers & Surveyors serves for lawyers and engineers, respectively. Make it easy to identify licensed reporters by giving them some credentials to tag onto their name similar to doctors and engineers using M.D. or P.E... Have the governing body work with legislature to for licensing requirements, continuing education requirements, and code of regulations. If it's found that a reporter is working with corrupt politicians or extremist organizations to sow misinformation, fine them and suspend their license. Hold them accountable. Make them think twice before a story out there. Make them get serious about screening sources for dependability.

Bloggers, opinion writers, and journalist can still do their thing. People like Freak can still do their thing... but in today's world we've got to take the fight against misinformation seriously. We need to separate legitimate reporting from activists posing as journalists. We've got to put a stop to extremists creating a website and masquerading as news bearers and fact checkers. We've got to put a stop to Twitter and Facebook having the authority to decide what is considered misinformation. If they flag something as misinformation that isn't misinformation, they should be fined.

Thoughts? Ideas? I'd like to present something reasonable to my Senator.

Have a system for licensing reporters and certifying reports similar to what we have for doctors, lawyers, and engineers. Form a governing body of reporters to serve a role similar to that which the Bar Association and Board of Engineers & Surveyors serves for lawyers and engineers, respectively. Make it easy to identify licensed reporters by giving them some credentials to tag onto their name similar to doctors and engineers using M.D. or P.E... Have the governing body work with legislature to for licensing requirements, continuing education requirements, and code of regulations. If it's found that a reporter is working with corrupt politicians or extremist organizations to sow misinformation, fine them and suspend their license. Hold them accountable. Make them think twice before a story out there. Make them get serious about screening sources for dependability.

Bloggers, opinion writers, and journalist can still do their thing. People like Freak can still do their thing... but in today's world we've got to take the fight against misinformation seriously. We need to separate legitimate reporting from activists posing as journalists. We've got to put a stop to extremists creating a website and masquerading as news bearers and fact checkers. We've got to put a stop to Twitter and Facebook having the authority to decide what is considered misinformation. If they flag something as misinformation that isn't misinformation, they should be fined.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Writing your senator reminds me of a quote from Jack Spirko, “Writing a letter to your congressman is like writing a letter to Santa”.

One of the very first things they need to do is clamp down on "anonymous sources" or "those close to" or "those that have knowledge of" type stories.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Writing your senator reminds me of a quote from Jack Spirko, “Writing a letter to your congressman is like writing a letter to Santa”.
I didn't say anything about "writing" my Senator. I'm sorry if you have a Senator who doesn't care about your opinion.

One of the very first things they need to do is clamp down on "anonymous sources" or "those close to" or "those that have knowledge of" type stories.
Agreed. People don't seems to understand the significance and impact that misinformation is having in America. We're making it too easy for Russians and others against our democracy to divide our society. If people don't think the Russians are involved in sowing misinformation and have been since 2015, read the first chapter of retired U.S. Army General H.R. McMaster's book Battlegrounds. It'll open your eyes.

Sounds very abridgy to me
I didn't say anything about "writing" my Senator. I'm sorry if you have a Senator who doesn't care about your opinion.
If yours considered this they should be removed

Agreed. People don't seems to understand the significance and impact that misinformation is having in America. We're making it too easy for Russians and others against our democracy to divide our society. If people don't think the Russians are involved in sowing misinformation and have been since 2015, read the first chapter of retired U.S. Army General H.R. McMaster's book Battlegrounds. It'll open your eyes.
Freedom of the press. If you need a license to express a freedom it isnt a right.

Maybe you misread my 2nd paragraph or maybe I'm not explaining myself well. People can express whatever they want. But there needs to be a way for Americans to distinguish between reliable or "certified" reports and everything else. For example, in the floodplain management world we have Certified Floodplain Managers (CFMs). It's a certification established by the Association of State Floodplain Managers. You don't have to be a CFM to do anything, but being a CFM tells clients that you know what you're doing and that you can be trusted to perform things like a no-rise certificate or revise a flood map. If you fall behind on being educated in the advancements of floodplain management practices, you lose your CFM. It doesn't mean you can't do your job. It just means your aren't as distinguished.

It comes down to academia, when you teach your kids to hate america and the constitution, then you get what you get. There are journalists out there who are fair, you just find their work. If people quit buying advertisor's product, then you could have changes.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Great. When they start passing laws to regulate the media they should be removed imo

Maybe we need smarter citizens
Again, I'm not saying the media should be regulated under law (although I wouldn't oppose it). I'm saying there needs to be a system for distinguishing legitimate reports and reporters who hold themselves to a higher standard than most.

I'm open to suggestions, that's why I posted. Smart citizens are deceived every day.

Again, I'm not saying the media should be regulated under law (although I wouldn't oppose it). I'm saying there needs to be a system for distinguishing legitimate reports and reporters who hold themselves to a higher standard than most.

I'm open to suggestions, that's why I posted. Smart citizens are deceived every day.
It's called research. It's not hard to figure out who is reliable and who pushes crap. Problem is people want their echo chamber full of confirmation. This will not fix that one bit. It will just add more regulation and govt controls

Reactions: LouderVol
I don't blame the media when they put out BS. I blame the people who fail to do any research on their own and fall for it.

Maybe you misread my 2nd paragraph or maybe I'm not explaining myself well. People can express whatever they want. But there needs to be a way for Americans to distinguish between reliable or "certified" reports and everything else. For example, in the floodplain management world we have Certified Floodplain Managers (CFMs). It's a certification established by the Association of State Floodplain Managers. You don't have to be a CFM to do anything, but being a CFM tells clients that you know what you're doing and that you can be trusted to perform things like a no-rise certificate or revise a flood map. If you fall behind on being educated in the advancements of floodplain management practices, you lose your CFM. It doesn't mean you can't do your job. It just means your aren't as distinguished.
Russians??

Great. When they start passing laws to regulate the press they should be removed imo

Maybe we need smarter citizens

This. Our government or some independent agency really can't regulate - or really, reduce - stupidity and/or gullibility.

If someone's stupid enough to believe in Q Anon, for example, no amount of logic would ever suffice to convince them otherwise.

Lawyers, doctors and engineers DO something. Reporters just REPORT something, often with a slant of view dependent on alot - such as their employer. And just as we see here, a picture's worth a 1,000 words.

Reactions: McDad

And there is a right to be a CFM? I work in architecture and am mostly thru getting my license, I understand. But there should not be levels or tiers of rights.

Oh dear. This is when I say the word "gun".

Carry on...
Yup and we shouldnt need one there. Just like you dont need a license to vote, a license to speedy trial, freedom of religion. All rights should be treated the same. If you dont you are infringing upon rights. No two ways about it. You can try to justify that limitation but it still remains as such.

VN Store

Back