Media Reform:

Shooting down a terrible idea.
Who are you his body guard?

If you don't like the idea that's fine. Offer a better idea. Or just say you don't like it and move on. But please don't discourage others from participating in the conversation with a bunch of sarcastic questions meant to only make me feel stupid. It won't work. Misinformation is a problem that will be addressed with or without our input. You have an opportunity to help someone come up with a solution. Take or it leave it. No reason to play games.

Regarding a membership organization, I previously mentioned the Society of Professional Journalists. There are also statewide press associations. As a reporter, I carried a press identification card issued to me by the Tennessee Press Association. That card was helpful for accessing accident scenes, etc.

So these things do exist for your traditional media. It’s the Wild West of Twitter and YouTube that have spawned pseudojournalism to confuse people. The “Bat Boy” stories used to be relegated to the checkout aisle at the grocery store. Now things even more preposterous are in your Twitter feed.

Everyone has to be a responsible consumer of news. Don’t just trust. Verify.

Regarding a membership organization, I previously mentioned the Society of Professional Journalists. There are also statewide press associations. As a reporter, I carried a press identification card issued to me by the Tennessee Press Association. That card was helpful for accessing accident scenes, etc.

So these things do exist for your traditional media. It’s the Wild West of Twitter and YouTube that have spawned pseudojournalism to confuse people. The “Bat Boy” stories used to be relegated to the checkout aisle at the grocery store. Now things even more preposterous are in your Twitter feed.

Everyone has to be a responsible consumer of news. Don’t just trust. Verify.
How do you verify when the entire industry is suspect?

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
Anyone find it unusual that the defenders of the 1st in here are some of VN's most ardent defenders of the 2nd?

LOL

Seriously?

Seriously. What’s suspect about the reporting of your hometown newspaper? Of leading regional newspapers in your area? (Where I live in South Carolina, that would be papers like The State and the Post & Courier.)

Again, stop confusing journalism with talking heads on cable TV and partisan hacks who constantly share “BREAKING NEWS” tweets. Those are not journalists. The men and women covering your local government, your high school sports teams, your local feature stories - those are journalists.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
Seriously. What’s suspect about the reporting of your hometown newspaper? Of leading regional newspapers in your area? (Where I live in South Carolina, that would be papers like The State and the Post & Courier.)

Again, stop confusing journalism with talking heads on cable TV and partisan hacks who constantly share “BREAKING NEWS” tweets. Those are not journalists. The men and women covering your local government, your high school sports teams, your local feature stories - those are journalists.
Think more big picture.

Associated Press. Reuters. The Guardian. Wall Street Journal. Local newspapers around the country. Look at the town where you live. Who tells you about the actions of your county commission, of your board of education? That would be journalists - most of them working for peanuts.

When I started out as a journalist, I made $7 an hour. With a college degree. I did the work from a sense of purpose and a belief that a free press is essential to our nation. Those journalists reporting in your community will never get rich. They’ll never be household names. But they are providing a Constitutionally protected service to your community.

Journalism is not defined by what CNN and Fox News do. Talking heads throwing red meat to the base is different than journalism.
All of the above mentioned outlets published stories on Russian collusion.

I’ve yet to see a retraction or apology.

Hard pass on taking any outlet / organization seriously.

It’s up to individual journalists/reporters to regain the trust of their readers/viewers.

The power of the corporate media bosses / BOD / owners to control what stories can or cannot be told is undeniable. Until that can be fixed I won’t ever put my trust in any media outlet.

It’s up to individual journalists/reporters to regain the trust of their readers/viewers.

The power of the corporate media bosses / BOD / owners to control what stories can or cannot be told is undeniable. Until that can be fixed I won’t ever put my trust in any media outlet.

Of course they published stories on the Russia investigation. It was coverage of an event occurring within our country. Would you prefer the News Sentinel not report on it when the NCAA is investigating UT - even if the investigation finds no wrongdoing?

My most beloved journalism professor, Mr. George Kelly, coined the phrase, “What the people don’t know WILL hurt them.” Those words and their meaning have outlived him. They were actually engraved in the walls of the Newseum in DC. That’s because Mr. Kelly perfectly summed up the importance of the media to our nation.

It’s up to you if you choose to trust media. But regardless of your personal choice, the media have a tremendous role to play in this grand American experiment.

Last edited:

You implicitly trust anything that Q drops. If you believe that crap, then who are you to pass judgement on legit media and journalism?

The Tennessean is about the worst most biased rag in the country and only runs stories you will find in any Gannet publication. The News Examiner only covers Sumner County and is very limited in what it does cover. And god forbid they publish something negative about the county or city government. Local CBS and ABC newscasts are ok but doesn’t cover national news. So we’re left with the major networks both OTA and cable which not a 1 is unbiased.

Face it unbiased journalism is over, we have to watch/read several outlets and try to pull the truth out of the middle.

Of course they published stories on the Russia investigation. It was coverage of an event occurring within our country. Would you prefer the News Sentinel not report on it when the NCAA is investigating UT - even if the investigation finds no wrongdoing?

My most beloved journalism professor, Mr. George Kelly, coined the phrase, “What the people don’t know WILL hurt them.” Those words and their meaning have outlived him. They were actually engraved in the walls of the Newseum in DC. That’s because Mr. Kelly perfectly summed up the importance of the media to our nation.

It’s up to you if you choose to trust media. But regardless of your personal choice, the media have a tremendous role to play in this grand American experiment.

The Russian investigations should have been covered but before running any stories they should have had verifiable sources. That’s the problem, our most “prestigious” news organizations constantly ran stories based off of anonymous sources that turned out to false.

It’s all about profit, how can they get people watching or reading instead of how can they report the truth and facts.

Who are you his body guard?

If you don't like the idea that's fine. Offer a better idea. Or just say you don't like it and move on. But please don't discourage others from participating in the conversation with a bunch of sarcastic questions meant to only make me feel stupid. It won't work. Misinformation is a problem that will be addressed with or without our input. You have an opportunity to help someone come up with a solution. Take or it leave it. No reason to play games.

Don’t spend much time here do you? All we do is point out how stupid everyone else is.

Reactions: ohhbother

No mention of retractions, corrections or apologies.

Why is that?

Have a system for licensing reporters and certifying reports similar to what we have for doctors, lawyers, and engineers. Form a governing body of reporters to serve a role similar to that which the Bar Association and Board of Engineers & Surveyors serves for lawyers and engineers, respectively. Make it easy to identify licensed reporters by giving them some credentials to tag onto their name similar to doctors and engineers using M.D. or P.E... Have the governing body work with legislature to for licensing requirements, continuing education requirements, and code of regulations. If it's found that a reporter is working with corrupt politicians or extremist organizations to sow misinformation, fine them and suspend their license. Hold them accountable. Make them think twice before a story out there. Make them get serious about screening sources for dependability.

Bloggers, opinion writers, and journalist can still do their thing. People like Freak can still do their thing... but in today's world we've got to take the fight against misinformation seriously. We need to separate legitimate reporting from activists posing as journalists. We've got to put a stop to extremists creating a website and masquerading as news bearers and fact checkers. We've got to put a stop to Twitter and Facebook having the authority to decide what is considered misinformation. If they flag something as misinformation that isn't misinformation, they should be fined.

Thoughts? Ideas? I'd like to present something reasonable to my Senator.
No.

Have a system for licensing reporters and certifying reports similar to what we have for doctors, lawyers, and engineers. Form a governing body of reporters to serve a role similar to that which the Bar Association and Board of Engineers & Surveyors serves for lawyers and engineers, respectively. Make it easy to identify licensed reporters by giving them some credentials to tag onto their name similar to doctors and engineers using M.D. or P.E... Have the governing body work with legislature to for licensing requirements, continuing education requirements, and code of regulations. If it's found that a reporter is working with corrupt politicians or extremist organizations to sow misinformation, fine them and suspend their license. Hold them accountable. Make them think twice before a story out there. Make them get serious about screening sources for dependability.

Bloggers, opinion writers, and journalist can still do their thing. People like Freak can still do their thing... but in today's world we've got to take the fight against misinformation seriously. We need to separate legitimate reporting from activists posing as journalists. We've got to put a stop to extremists creating a website and masquerading as news bearers and fact checkers. We've got to put a stop to Twitter and Facebook having the authority to decide what is considered misinformation. If they flag something as misinformation that isn't misinformation, they should be fined.

Thoughts? Ideas? I'd like to present something reasonable to my Senator.
The answer is not more regulation and authority. Those things are easily corrupted. I think what you are purposing would actually make things worse. I think the problem is many people just aren’t discerning enough when it comes to the info they are exposed to.

Reactions: ohhbother

VN Store

Back