Most memorable Kentucky game?

Mentioned this before... I was at the game the last time KY won in Neyland... on the way out Vol fans were bummed, while walking in the crowd, a Vol fan accidentally stepped on an elderly KY ladies foot... she verbally tore into him, and he just replied if it will make you feel better why not just hit me. She complied.

November 24, 1984 Knoxville, TN Kentucky 17–12

LOL! I was there, too....watch T. Robinson throw the ball out of bounds to end the game somewhere near KY's 10 or 15 yd line....

1971 game at Stoll Field in Lexington. UK was driving for the winning score in the final minutes and Carl Johnson, I believe, intercepted a pitch out on about our 7 yard line and ran it all the way back for a touchdown. I was in the band and all of a sudden beer bottles started raining down from the UK fans behind us.

We were on the ropes but had the punch that cut UK’s heart out on that very cold, cloudy, and gloomy day.

Reactions: StarRaider
The year Smokey got away for his handler and went after UK's kicker. Pre-game I think it was.

Meeting #107, November 26, 2011 in Lexington, KY: Kentucky 10–7

It's not a good memory. Double D takes the Vols to Lexington to meet a Kentucky team without a QB. Matt Roark - who hadn't taken a snap since high school, who had played WR at UK up until that fateful day - executed a minimal playbook to defeat the Vols, 10-7, thus ending Tennessee's 26-game streak. Thank you, coach Dooley. You accepted responsibility for the loss, stating that you "hadn't prepared the team to play." It was the final game of the season, and you "hadn't prepared the team to play?!?!?!" But for a victory over Vandy the previous Saturday, Dool's might have beaten Lyle Jones to the punch in setting a program record for futility.

1998 season.. Kentucky at Neyland.. My dad was a lifelong Tennessee fan. I took him to the game, this was his first time seeing Tennessee play live.. So this was my most remembered Kentucky game..

2 that I remember are the '92 & '93 games

'92- the sendoff the fans game Majors
'93- my only trip to Lexington and back then the endzones weren't enclosed and the wind was whipping through there. Very cold.

I'll always remember the end of 1984. Tony Robinson was driving TN toward the south end zone for the win as time was running out. But spiking the ball wasn't allowed by rule and was a penalty for intentional grounding. So T-Rob had to throw the ball out of bounds to stop the clock. The final play was Tony throwing the ball to the west sideline as time expired. If he only had a couple more seconds, TN would have had a legitimate shot at throwing to the end zone for a win on the final play.

I remember that like it was yesterday sitting in Neyland.

I can't remember the year. I remember Majors was the coach. Kentucky drove to the one yard line and had first and goal. They ran it between the tackles four times and were denied four times by Tennessee. Tennessee wins. The Cats are almost always ready for the Vols. They even use to the give the General fits.

That may have been 1987 and Mike Whitehead made the 4th down tackle.

From around 58:00 on is where the game is decided.​

The call from the great John Ward:

“Tennessee lines up in an eight-man line. Kentucky hands off, (Mark) Higgs. No! He did not make it! He did not make it! He was met. He was stopped. Michael Whitehead at the bottom of the stack. It wasn’t even close.”

I was at this game back in '90. They had us down early but there wasn't a foreboding sense of impending doom. They are Kentucky after all and we had quite a bit of talent.

VN Store

Back