Most Overhyped Vol

checkerboard_charly

ill say its gotta be munoz. injury after injury after injuryinjury after injury after injuryinjury after injury after injuryinjury ainjury after injury after injuryfter injury after injuryinjury after injury after injury

just didnt do much for us.

no where near some other guys like corey chavous or scott wells.

Naw, at least Munoz was a contributor when he was healthy. On the team right now I'd say Brooks. There have been many 5* can't miss recruits that never played a minute for the Vols over the years.

Originally posted by BHAMVOLFAN@Feb 4, 2005 7:29 PM
Naw, at least Munoz was a contributor when he was healthy. On the team right now I'd say Brooks. There have been many 5* can't miss recruits that never played a minute for the Vols over the years.

yeah i forgot about him. has he ever even played. other than special teams.

i think he came in as like the #5 lb in the country .

good one. anyone got another one?

Other than about 3 or 4 games, I think you've got to put Jabari Davis in the bust category.

No way it's Brooks. He has played some, but look at who he has played behind. Next year he will have the opportunity to step up and contribute. If he doesn't play well next year, then maybe you can say that.

Originally posted by checkerboard_charly@Feb 4, 2005 6:52 PM
ill say its gotta be munoz. injury after injury after injuryinjury after injury after injuryinjury after injury after injuryinjury ainjury after injury after injuryfter injury after injuryinjury after injury after injury

just didnt do much for us.

no where near some other guys like corey chavous or scott wells.

I gotta disagree with you....Like BHAMVOLFAN said at least he contributed when he was healthy.....If not for him Riggs or Houston wouldn't have had some of the yards they had...The whole O-Line contributed but he was their leader...I gotta disagree with you....I agree with GAVOL though....Davis has been a bust....Wasn't he supposed to be a steal from UGA and came up here and done nothing? Except for a games..He would fit under the bust category

Davis was the guy that we all kidded ourselves into thinking would be the next great running back once Cadillac Williams turned us down and went to Auburn.

Right up there with Jabari Davis would have to be Leonard Friggin' Scott. He was the fastest guy on the field every time he walked out there. But he had no hands and was a horrible route runner. I don't think he caught 30 balls in his career.

Brian Darden, RB from Mississippi in the early early to mid 90's. Total bust and he was one of the highest recruited RBs in the nation.

Come on Brooks is a soph behind alot of talent at LB the biggest bust was OJ OWENS :flush:

Originally posted by Vol 4 Life@Feb 4, 2005 8:45 PM
Brian Darden, RB from Mississippi in the early early to mid 90's. Total bust and he was one of the highest recruited RBs in the nation.

brian darden was the 1st person i thought of. aaron hayden, joey mathews( i saw him at the blount co. jamboree, and to me the toki mccray kid from maryville was a way better qb)

Jani Tropovnieks, did he ever play? Randy Sanders (as a player). And Aaron Hayden a bust? I remember his senior season was pretty good and that screen pass to him in South Bend won the game.

Got to agree with Don about Aaron Hayden. He wasn't a star, but he was a nice backup and 3rd down back.

I thought everybody thought Casey Clausen was a bust. (I know , I know trying to revive the dead horse again)

Leonard (Stone Hands)Scott the worst WR in Vols history couldn't catch a cold if he was wet and naked in a blizzard.

I think Munoz was a great pass blocker, not very impressed in his run blocking skills though. OJ Owens I definitely think was a bust, I remember all the hype surrounding that kid out of high school, some were claiming he was the next Ronnie Lott.

Anybody think James Banks was? Sure he had one good season in 03. But think of the things he could have done.

how about kevin simon. i dont know what rating he was coming out of highschool but i think it is safe to say that injurys plagued his carrer at tennessee. im not so sure he is a bust but maybe just a dissapointment.

?! kevin simon has done alot of good things for tennessee. sure he's had his share of injuries but on the filed he's benn great. he's still got 2 years left also(correct me if i'm wrong) not trying to bash ur opinion but i don't think simon is in the bust category.

Originally posted by vols2345@Feb 5, 2005 10:29 AM
how about kevin simon. i dont know what rating he was coming out of highschool but i think it is safe to say that injurys plagued his carrer at tennessee. im not so sure he is a bust but maybe just a dissapointment.

Busts...hmmm...

Leonard Scott, O.J. Owens, Travis Cozart, Brian Darden, Dustin Moore, Andy McCullough, David Martin, Joey Matthews, A.J. Suggs, Brandonn Stewart, the center from Texas that bailed on us the year before he was slated to start...I guess there's a good reason why I can't remember his name...Jabari Davis, Teddy "Gives up big" Gaines.

There are more, but Munoz doesn't fall into this category and neither does Simon...he's back next season and will be one of the top LB's in the conference.

I wouldn't say David Martin was in the list either. He played a good role at wide reciever in 99 and 00 catching some passes for tds and big gains.

Here's a list of some recent busts.

Jomo Fagan (stud WR out of high school)

Robert Boulware (both he and fagan have quit)

LaRon Harris (4start DT)

Brandon Jefferies 5star OL

Greg Jones

Ruben Mayes

OJ Owens

A few I can think of:

Antonio "Brick" Robinson from Memphis, he was supposed to be the best thing out of Memphis since BBQ and only played in a few games in 1993 as a backup. Touted as the best DE out of Tennessee since Reggie White.

Sterling Hinton and Moses Collins come to mind, both were supposed to be Jimmy Streater calibur QB's. At least Hinton played alittle, he should have been a WR in college. I don't think Collins even lettered.

Randy Hall from Halls, He was an All-American and ranked the third best OT in the country in 1987. Never played. Seems like he had a career ending injury in the first week of fall practice as a true freshman.

OK let's go back, see how many real Vols fans we have....Mark Rosenbaum from Kingsport in the 1978 recruiting class, a big time DE prospect, never made the travelling team, beat out by walkons for a varsity slot.

my 2 big ones that come to mind more than any other are on offense....JABARI DAVIS.....I was more excited about this kid than anyone else in the class....he had the size just enough speed.....and a bruising body.....just got in a log jam at tailback and never did pan out hardly (although i think he would have been a good feature back)

living in johnson city it pains me to say this but Teddy Gaines he played football over in kingsport for Dobyns-Bennett and when i found out we got him i was upset......the kid could run but he's the WORST corner I've ever seen at tennessee.....heck in the SEC lol....maybe not.....but the kid couldn't stop Lenard Scott (LOL) :dlol: :dlol:

Being a former D-B player I was suprised we signed Teddy, not that great of a cover guy but at least he tried, we've had alot of guys with super talent who could have been All-Americans if they had been as dedicated as Teddy, he actually ended up playing in NFL Europe and making the all league team.

VN Store

Back